CPU/Mobo Need Help / Advise

Neville25

Disciple
Dear Friends,

I have just upgraded from a P4 2.4 to an AMD 3000+ 939 with a Gigabyte 6100 Mobo. 512 Mb Ram.

I have been have 2 problems since then.

1. My Java applet does not work on Indiatimes chat. It works on other Java sites & games but doesnt just on indiatimes. Have re-installed Java many times over but no help.

2. When I burn a DVD I cannot use my system for anything else. Cannot open any folder or surf the net. The computer seems to be standstill & nothing else then the burning on Nero Vision works. Does it happen to all when they are burning a DVD?
Thanks. Hope someone can help me with this problems.

Neville.. I might do not know about the applet problem, but I suggest you check with different browsers to see if it is working.

As for the system hogging the resources while burning a DVD see if you have the same problem with any other DVD burning software.

Another issue would be to go to the following

"My Computer -> Right Click -> Properties -> Advanced -> Perfromance Settings -> "

And there try and change your processor preference to programs rather than background servies and also the other way round. It might make a difference. :)

btw after changing your motherboard and your processor did u format and reinstall windows??? If not its better you do it:)

About your 2nd problem - make sure DMA mode is enabled for the dvd writer.

Go to device manager/ide controller/pata controller/secondary channel/ check the transfer mode - should either be multi word dma 2 or ultra dma 2

Hi All,

Thanks for yr responses.

Did all that was asked too & also added 1 GB Ram. Now it works a lot better.

And I have tried using the JAVA Applet on Opera too but same problem. Also have formatted the Comp when the new MoBo was installed:)
Thanks anyways.
Regards

Wrt your Java applet problem, try using Firefox/IE. The moment the applet gets loaded, you will be able to see a small coffee cup icon on your icon tray.Right click on that to activate the Java Console. Check the console if there are any messages containing the word "Error" or "Exception". If that's the case then there is something wrong with that applet code and not your m/c.

LOL for that DVD problem, uninstall NVIDIA IDE drivers from the control panel. Uninstall only the IDE drivers and leave the rest.

Hey Chaos, thanks for yr response. But I cant seem to find any NVIDIA IDE drivers on my PC. In my control panel I only see NVIDIA drivers.

Am i missing out on something?:(

Do let me know.
Thanks.

^^ Right click on My Computer->Manage->Device Manager. Expand the IDE/ATAPI Controllers node. You will see two entries starting with "nVidia". Right click on each of them and say Uninstall. Reboot the computer, Windows should find those h/w again and install standard drivers.

Hi Vignesh,

I checked that & unfortunately there are no entries starting with "nVidia" under the IDE/ATAPI Controllers.

I did find 1 under Network Adapters - NVIDIA nforce Networking Controller.

Should I uninstall this?
Thanks & Regards

Hmm, that would mean the OS is using the standard IDE drivers. Did you check if DMA is enabled ( check dipdude's post earlier )

And don't uninstall the nForce networking controller :)

DMA wasnt enabled in 1 of the secondary channels.

Just changed it. Will burn another DVD tonight & post the results:)

Thanks a lot for yr help everyone.
Regards

In Add/Remove Programs, Click on nvidia Drivers and click on Change/Remove. You will get the option to remove all or specific nvidia drivers. Check only the IDE drivers. Uncheck everything else. proceed to uninstall ... hope this helps. :)

Back