Graphic Cards [Need help] Computer display not working after nvidia driver update

perma

Patron
Recruit
**** CPU : 12400f
**** GPU: 3080ti

I turned on my PC for the first time in 3 months today. Everything worked fine I was prompted for windows 11 upgrade which I declined and stayed with win10, a nvidia graphics driver update was recommended which I immediately installed and updated some of my games on steam while I watched some videos on my browser. This went on for couple of hours until I stepped away for 10 min and my pc screen turned off due inactivity.

I tried keys on my keyboard, tried moving my mouse there was no response. I power cycled the monitor still no response. I long pressed my cpu power button to power off the pc and tried power on again no response.

I tried switching from dp to hdmi and also tried all the different ports available, no responce. I tried a another display (my tv) still no response.

I then tried to check my gpu connections, I removed the power connectors and reconnected then, removed the gpu from the pcie socket and reconnected. Still no display.

Dont know what went wrong really, some help will be much appreciated.

1. did you plug display cable in Motherboard Socket or 3rd Party GPU Socket?
  2. dismantle all (except processor) for an hour and assembled all and check
  3. check one RAM stick at a time in different/all slots and check

**** CPU : 12400f
**** GPU: 3080ti

I turned on my PC for the first time in 3 months today. Everything worked fine I was prompted for windows 11 upgrade which I declined and stayed with win10, a nvidia graphics driver update was recommended which I immediately installed and updated some of my games on steam while I watched some videos on my browser. This went on for couple of hours until I stepped away for 10 min and my pc screen turned off due inactivity.

I tried keys on my keyboard, tried moving my mouse there was no response. I power cycled the monitor still no response. I long pressed my cpu power button to power off the pc and tried power on again no response.

I tried switching from dp to hdmi and also tried all the different ports available, no responce. I tried a another display (my tv) still no response.

I then tried to check my gpu connections, I removed the power connectors and reconnected then, removed the gpu from the pcie socket and reconnected. Still no display.

Dont know what went wrong really, some help will be much appreciated.
Try to boot a Linux distro from a USB stick. And see if there is any output.

A. If there is output then your windows GPU driver got corrupted.

B. If there is no output they probably your monitor got faulty.

C. To check monitor try to get it as external display.
Note: Connect to internet and check for additional driver that might be required for the GPU.

Dismantle every connection, insert gpu in the secondary pciex16 slot, connect power cables only to the mobo and gpu, switch on and check,
Else check on a friends pc or monitor before jumping on conclusions.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I can boot from a usb without changing the default boot option, let me know if there is a way @TechUser00
Since you are not getting the BIOS page I think if it's not pre-configured then it won't boot. You would need someone's GPU or/and Monitor help. As you have already tried your monitor the best guess is to check your GPU. Check with other GPU or changing the pcie slot.

Dismantle every connection, insert gpu in the secondary pciex16 slot, connect power cables only to the mobo and gpu, switch on and check,
Else check on a friends pc or monitor before jumping on conclusions.
Unfortunately I have only a single pcie slot, I tried with only the gpu still no luck. I will take it to a computer shop and try things out there.

Unfortunately I have only a single pcie slot, I tried with only the gpu still no luck. I will take it to a computer shop and try things out there.
For future reference, setup windows remote desktop connection on your pc so in a situation like this you can try remote connecting from another windows pc in your lan & if it connects that means except graphics everything else is working.

Forget drivers man, are you able to see the boot logo?? If not then it has nothing to do with drivers. Take it to a shop (since you don't have a backup GPU) and see if it works with a new GPU. I always recommend buying a backup GPU for around 1000-2000 (ATI HD, Nvidia 6xx, 7xx etc) just to save you a visit to a shop.

I think that the PCIe pins are not making proper contact. Try changing the orientation a bit (I mean just a bit).

Few things I have tried so far:
1) Swapped a cpu which now has igpu
2) removed the gpu
3) tried both my ram sticks one by one on both my ram slots.
4) reconnected the 24 pin and cpu connecter
5) removed cmos and placed it again

No luck so far

My motherboard has a light strip which lights up when I connect it to power but now that also is not lighting up, when I try to switch on the system my aio cooler fans start spinning and my ram lights up.

is my motherboard ok?
UPDATE:
I had to update my bios to make the new cpu with igpu work, I have display now but I cannot see my gpu on the device manager/ bios. My gpu lights and fans are spinning. I have checked the connection and it seems pretty solid to me.

Last edited:
Few things I have tried so far:
1) Swapped a cpu which now has igpu
2) removed the gpu
3) tried both my ram sticks one by one on both my ram slots.
4) reconnected the 24 pin and cpu connecter
5) removed cmos and placed it again

No luck so far

My motherboard has a light strip which lights up when I connect it to power but now that also is not lighting up, when I try to switch on the system my aio cooler fans start spinning and my ram lights up.

is my motherboard ok?
UPDATE:
I had to update my bios to make the new cpu with igpu work, I have display now but I cannot see my gpu on the device manager/ bios. My gpu lights and fans are spinning. I have checked the connection and it seems pretty solid to me.
Check with another GPU if you can find someone to lend it to you for a day.
1. If GPU appears==> Your GPU faulty
2. If No GPU appears==> Slot faulty, Check proper connection. Check your GPU on someone other system.

You have to do all the permutation /combination.
If you are getting BIOS then you can try booting into Linux System, It helps a lot to troubleshoot/diagnose.

If your mobo has more than 1 pcie x16 slot (even if they run at reduced bandwidth like x4 or x8) then try installing gpu in that slot (do check in mobo manual the conditions for using that 2nd slot as many mobos disable that 2nd slot if some sata/NVMe port is in use.

Sorry I'm late to this, but this was a weird issue with the 3080 Ti's, the motherboards just don't see it after an update. Here's a video talking about it:

The solution is to put the GPU in another system, download and run the the nvidia display ID updater:

Back