Need help creating a wordpress website

blueren

Adept
Hi All,

I'm trying to build a website where in I (and a few others) can showcase some of our photographs. After tinkering around with wordpress, I have found a good free theme which I think suites my needs.

What I observed is that wordpress is more so oriented to blogging rather than showcasing. I'm in need of some way to add a gallery, where in all I need to do is add pictures (under criteria such as wildlife / street / landscape) etc. Just that. Like flickr or devient art.

Is there any direct way to have this done? A plugin perhaps? Please enlighten me / point me in the right direction~

Thanks in advance.

Using wordpress as well you can create photo centric website. I was in your shoes some months back but gave up as I had other meaningful work to concentrate on. I got some good themes as well..eye catching and professional. Google and you may find them.

I created my blogs though but the themes I want to use weren't getting edited to suit my needs hence dumped the idea.

Using wordpress as well you can create photo centric website. I was in your shoes some months back but gave up as I had other meaningful work to concentrate on. I got some good themes as well..eye catching and professional. Google and you may find them.

I created my blogs though but the themes I want to use weren't getting edited to suit my needs hence dumped the idea.

I did see a whole lot of themes. But all of the free ones circle around blogging and not pure gallery views..

I designed my web-logs though but the styles i want to use were not getting modified to match my needs hence thrown out the concept.

Wordpress is like Linux. Rings bells to only few. but once you get hold of it, sky is the limit. Its one of the most used php script in the world. Used by Fortune 500 to what not. I have been messing around with it for over 5 years now and I can say it can do anything. Theming is nothing when it comes to modification of wordpress to suit your designing needs.

I suggest you look for a theme that is developed for photographers. Here is a link for you. Mostly are paid I guess but it should give you the idea of what can be done.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/07/wordpress-themes-photography/

And here are some free ones. WPMU is a nice place to learn about Wordpress.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/20-best-free-photography-wordpress-themes/

Finally, themes are basically custom codes created by the various developers around the world. Some sell their code and some great souls provide it for free. Free does not mean useless, but it has a taste that does not suit everyone. And there are paid codes in the form of themes and plugins coded professionally. Wordpress has become an industry in itself. There are countless plugins and themes for wordpress that its really hard to keep track of. Mostly are not even in the Wordpress directory. So some research off wordpress.org will definitely yield results. Best of Luck.

Back