Budget 71-90K Need help deciding b/w macOS and windows

Etype

Recruit
Hey everybody. I’ll be buying for a new laptop in a month or two, as my old laptop breathed its last. I was using it only for filling exam forms, downloading admit cards, storing photos, and downloading 3-4 movies a year via torrents. My current usage would be similar. In future, i also intend to view documents in excel and pdfs, write some letters in word and ‘dear sir, please find attached’ mails.

For my usage, a 25k laptop would suffice, but I’m willing to spend upto a lakh mainly due to tax benefits, good battery, good display, backlit keyboard, and lightweight. I don’t have any brand preference, and had surface 4 and spectre on my radar. I would have ignored macbooks with intels, but the macbook air m1 seems like such great value. But, I’ve never used a macOS device, and imagine them to be similar to iphone and ipad I currently own and find restrictive at times. For instance, there are hundreds of pdfs on my ipad, but no way to rename or rearrange them. I have to open and close so many pdfs before i find the one I’m looking for.

I tried to watch online reviews, but they mainly talk about thunderbold ports, external monitors and video editing. I’m completely clueless how macbooks fare in basic tasks. Also, I dont use any cloud, and dont like paying for softwares. Kindly, help me solve my dilemma?

I woukd say wait for 12th gen laptops to hit market and then get an Intel based surface book or spectre. You will find lot more free softwares for Windows then for mac. Mac is good when you are in the mac ecosystem and don't mind paying for good softwares.

instance, there are hundreds of pdfs on my ipad, but no way to rename or rearrange them.
Use Documents by Readdle as your file manager system on iOS and iPadOS. So much better, plus built in annotator for PDFs as well! Can also add cloud services so that your PDFs are in sync across (non-Apple) devices as well, and always updated to the latest version everywhere.
Also, I dont use any cloud, and dont like paying for softwares. Kindly, help me solve my dilemma?
By this if you mean *ahem* sites, Macs do have much of creative softwares at least available for *free*. But since you mention only basic usage at best, I'd suggest Mac purely because of battery life - getting 15+ hours (under light loads as well, not just video playback) is no small deal when even the best AMD ultraportables only manage 12-14hrs at best.

Hey everybody. I’ll be buying for a new laptop in a month or two, as my old laptop breathed its last. I was using it only for filling exam forms, downloading admit cards, storing photos, and downloading 3-4 movies a year via torrents. My current usage would be similar. In future, i also intend to view documents in excel and pdfs, write some letters in word and ‘dear sir, please find attached’ mails.

For my usage, a 25k laptop would suffice, but I’m willing to spend upto a lakh mainly due to tax benefits, good battery, good display, backlit keyboard, and lightweight. I don’t have any brand preference, and had surface 4 and spectre on my radar. I would have ignored macbooks with intels, but the macbook air m1 seems like such great value. But, I’ve never used a macOS device, and imagine them to be similar to iphone and ipad I currently own and find restrictive at times. For instance, there are hundreds of pdfs on my ipad, but no way to rename or rearrange them. I have to open and close so many pdfs before i find the one I’m looking for.

I tried to watch online reviews, but they mainly talk about thunderbold ports, external monitors and video editing. I’m completely clueless how macbooks fare in basic tasks. Also, I dont use any cloud, and dont like paying for softwares. Kindly, help me solve my dilemma?
There are no restrictions per se in Mac OS.
It's like any other desktop OS like windows or a Linux distribution ..With its own pros and cons..

As for software, you will find pirated /cracked software for mac the same way As for Windows...

Although (and off topic), with the all pervasive reliance on our computing devices, using cracked software (on any platform ) is a huge security risk now .. Unlike say 10 years ago when one could get away with pirated versions of anything with minimal risk..

I have been using both extensively for a really long time now.

Very subjectively speaking, I find OS X a bit more elegant and less buggy..Esp if you are a power user..
Also the way iPhone and iPad integrate with a Mac is rather fantastic..(with pointing out since u mentioned you use both)

But there really isn't a huge difference between the two other than for people with specialized use cases.

Last edited:
There are no restrictions per se in Mac OS.
It's like any other desktop OS like windows or a Linux distribution ..With its own pros and cons..

As for software, you will find pirated /cracked software for mac the same way As for Windows...

Although (and off topic), with the all pervasive reliance on our computing devices, using cracked software (on any platform ) is a huge security risk now .. Unlike say 10 years ago when one could get away with pirated versions of anything with minimal risk..

I have been using both extensively for a really long time now.

Very subjectively speaking, I find OS X a bit more elegant and less buggy..Esp if you are a power user..
Also the way iPhone and iPad integrate with a Mac is rather fantastic..(with pointing out since u mentioned you use both)

But there really isn't a huge difference between the two other than for people with specialized use cases.
Listen I never used macbook. So is it as easy to download stuff as in windows. As you said above. Then I will definitely go for it. Sometimes I think I should go.for ipad air and a cheap laptop (for transferring files) . I am really confused. Please help

Listen I never used macbook. So is it as easy to download stuff as in windows. As you said above. Then I will definitely go for it. Sometimes I think I should go.for ipad air and a cheap laptop (for transferring files) . I am really confused. Please help
Both approaches are fine.

personally I would take the MBA as the current model is an exceptionally good system.
since you have never used the OS, it may take you a few weeks to get familiarised but it’s a reasonably intuitive OS

Both approaches are fine.

personally I would take the MBA as the current model is an exceptionally good system.
since you have never used the OS, it may take you a few weeks to get familiarised but it’s a reasonably intuitive OS
Bro does telegram works in macbooks?? If you have macbook please do let me know

macbook air at its mrp was already a great value. now with back to school offer at 75k (reducing the price of free airpods) it’s a steal. go for it.

and since you’re already in the ecosystem everything will be a breeze. the convenience factor that comes with the whole apple ecosystem is nothing short of awesome. everything is just at the right place and it just works.

there has never been such a vfm laptop ever. period.

Back