Need help extending my wireless network at home

Hey guys,

I have a BSNL Wifi Modem (the UTstarcom one)

The wifi signal dies off on the way to the first floor so I want to get another router to extend the range.

I already have drawn a LAN cable from my main modem into my room, and all I want is for my room of about 14X12 to get a wifi signal from my main modem.

Which routed should I buy? Budget is 2K.

Also, I have no knowledge about networking, will I be able to configure the second router on my own? Is it a difficult task?

Please help me out with this, I read a few articles on the interned and really didn't follow any of them.

An access point would be a simpler option instead of a router since you've already got the cable hooked up. Not sure about the pricing though. Will probably be more than 2k. You can check though.

For wireless G, there's the Linksys WAP54G & for wireless N there's the WAP610N. The WAP610N will definitely be more than 2k.

The cheaper option would be a wireless G router of course. You could pick up a D-Link/Asus/Buffalo for under 2k and connect it to the BSNL modem.

If you decide to go with either one of the two options above, you'll end up with two wireless networks. One from the main modem and one from the new router.

You could buy a DD-WRT compatible router and use that in repeater mode if you want a single wireless network.

Edrill said:
An access point would be a simpler option instead of a router since you've already got the cable hooked up. Not sure about the pricing though. Will probably be more than 2k. You can check though.

For wireless G, there's the Linksys WAP54G & for wireless N there's the WAP610N. The WAP610N will definitely be more than 2k.

The cheaper option would be a wireless G router of course. You could pick up a D-Link/Asus/Buffalo for under 2k and connect it to the BSNL modem.

If you decide to go with either one of the two options above, you'll end up with two wireless networks. One from the main modem and one from the new router.

You could buy a DD-WRT compatible router and use that in repeater mode if you want a single wireless network.
I dont mind either a single or double wireless network, all I need is for my room on the 1st floor to get a wifi signal so I can use it on my laptop and on my htc legend.

I was thinking of getting the WRT54G router and hooking it up to my existing lan cable, is that possible?

Back