Windows Need help finding the installer media source path/folder for MS Office

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys need help finding the installer media source path/folder for MS Office.

Scenario:
Patching for one of the servers in our Production come out with many errors related to MS office.
Root cause: MS Office installer folders were not found.
Installed MS office is functioning perfectly!

We have the setup but we need to ascertain that original folder path from where the office was first installed onto this server.

Googling isn't giving me any registry path as whatever I input its simply thinking it as installation path and not installer path, both terms have different meaning!

Somewhere i office registry there should be the path where it must be searching for the installer media.

There only C drive and no dvd drive.

@nRiTeCh

Since you're talking about manual patching, I presume the server has a legacy MSI-based Office product installed.

In that case, locate the value of the "SourceDir" property under the appropriate Windows Installer uninstall registry key:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\[GUID]

If a 32-bit version of the Office suite is installed on a 64-bit version of Windows, then see here instead:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\[GUID]

The product code GUIDs for the last few MSI-based Office suits can be found here: 2010 || 2013 || 2016

You can then perform a repair installation using the relevant Office ISO to override broken the "SourceDir" value and replace it with a working one.

I used this powershell script recently to get list of installed programs. Just open powershell prompt and paste below script with edited file path at end. This will include the installer paths of all installed programs. Notice how the registry path is same as one mentioned by @Titokhan

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate | Export-Csv -path c:\newFile.csv -NoTypeInformation

This will include the installer paths of all installed programs.
1636649027318.png

Well it definitely does not display any installer paths of any installed programs

@nRiTeCh

@Rubik's code snippet should only list 32-bit programs that are installed on your 64-bit Windows instance. Omit the "WOW6432Node" part and re-run it to get the remaining entries. Moreover, don't forget to include the "SourceDir" property (commonly named as "InstallSource") in the list of parameters.

Last edited:
Try this:

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object InstallDate,DisplayIcon,DisplayName,UninstallString,ModifyPath,Contact,HelpLink,URLUpdateInfo,Comments,DisplayVersion,VersionMajor,VersionMinor,InstallLocation,NoModify,PSPath,PSParentPath,PSChildName,PSDrive,PSProvider | Export-Csv -path c:\test2.csv -NoTypeInformation

The previous list filters for a subet of parameters you provide

Nop[e its giving wrong info... It shows programs installed loc..

1636653562438.png

I need the setup source from which drive/folder the setup was present.

@nRiTeCh

Matter of fact, the output does show what it should.

All those Office Click-to-Run entries are probably responsible for the confusion, but that's the thing - you're not using any legacy MSI based Office suite! Scroll down a bit and you should see an entry corresponding to the modern Click-to-Run Office suite (e.g. "O365xxx"). Since the Click-to-Run Office products are handled by the Office Deployment Tool, you won't find anything related to "InstallSource" there. The patching process should be entirely different as well.

Can you show us a screenshot of the error(s) that you're getting while applying the patches? Also, are you guys using SCCM or such to manage the installation and/or patching part?

Last edited:
Back