OC & Modding Need help for Case mod

Hi guys,

I wanted to make a mini-itx form factor PC. Following are the specs that I already have:
1. Gigabyte H97N-Wifi
2. Intel Xeon 1245v3 Stock Cooler
3. Corsair Vengeance RAM 4GB
4. Corsair 120GB SSD
5. 2x WD 2tb Harddisk 2.5"
6. 1U 500watts Power Supply (40amps on 12v single rail)
The PSU has 1x 8-pin CPU connector 1x 4pin CPU connector `1x 20pin Mobo connector and Just 2x Molex connector, there is no Sata connector, no 6pin or 8pin GPU connector.

I was looking to buy Nvidia Gtx 970 from Zotac

Follow are some questions in my mimd:
1. Is it PSU sufficient to run the above config with the GTX 970 gpu ?
2. Is it okay to use Molex spliter and the molex to 6pin connector for gpu ?

3. I have purchased some acrylic sheets 5mm and 3mm, what should i use to cut them?

Google search for the PSU gave me a name called Sparkle.. With listed price on some site as 8k.

I have never heard of this brand. but if this good (phoren) quality, then it will okay for the 970.

Google search for the PSU gave me a name called Sparkle.. With listed price on some site as 8k.

I have never heard of this brand. but if this good (phoren) quality, then it will okay for the 970.

Mine is Zippy i guess, not sure tho, its a server grade PSU, i bought mine for 8k and it has 40amps on 12v rail. just not enough connectors.. it has only connectors mentioned above..

^ Zippy is supposed to be top tier in the server PSU market. Should be a good PSU, where did you get it from? :)
TDP for the GTX 970 is 145W. So your rig's peak power draw should easily stay under 300~350W.

As for the connectors, it should be ok if the connectors are decent quality. With a lot of current flowing through it, if the connectors are not making proper contact they will heat up and eventually melt the connector, so do not take the risk if they're not a nice fit.

^ Zippy is supposed to be top tier in the server PSU market. Should be a good PSU, where did you get it from? :)
TDP for the GTX 970 is 145W. So your rig's peak power draw should easily stay under 300~350W.

As for the connectors, it should be ok if the connectors are decent quality. With a lot of current flowing through it, if the connectors are not making proper contact they will heat up and eventually melt the connector, so do not take the risk if they're not a nice fit.

thx for the informative reply, i will see to it that it doesn't heat up, I got the Zippy PSU from Lamington Rd.

One Last Question, Is it Okay to remove the back panel of Zippy PSU and install a 120mm Fan directly above it for cooling? the 40mm fans are very high speed and very very noisy ..

It should be ok, but show us a pic of the PSU's heatsinks so we can see if the air will flow properly through their fins.

Back