Need help for Gigalan networking.

Guys,

I want to setup our new office's network so i need your suggestions. First of all i dont know much about different type of cables, Wi-fi routers etc..

Our office will have 4-5 Desktops, 2-3 laptops, for that i want to setup Giga lan for desktops and 100mbps wi-fi for laptops. I want to share Bsnl broadband over gigalan and wi-fi also.

How should i setup all these ?
Will i have to make one server ?
Which cable will i need for giga lan ?
Which clipping will i have to do ?
Will i have to buy gigalan ethernet for desktop ?
Which Wi-Fi router should i buy ?
Which gigalan switch should i buy ?
What is N router ?

Sorry guys if i asked stupid questions.

Thanks..

If you're looking for gigabit LAN and wifi speeds in excess of 100MBps, the only option would be a wireless N router with gigabit ethernet ports. There's the Linksys WRT600N which is pretty decent. Dunno if it's available yet, but there's also the WRT610N. The cables required would be CAT6 or you could save a bit and go for CAT5e too. The connectors would be normal RJ45 connectors. Yes, you will need gigabit ethernet adapters for the desktops if they don't already have them. And all your laptops would need wireless N adapters to see the speed increase from the N standard. If they have built-in wireless G adapters, you're not going to see any increase in speed. It'll still top out at 54MBps.

Thanks Edrill.

So i will need 1 Wireless N router with Gigabyte ports for server, and I dont have gigabyte ports on desktop so i will need gigabyte ethernet adapters.

Which Cat6 or cat5e cable should i buy ? any specific brand ?
Which ethernet adapters should i buy ? PCI or USB ?
Linksys WRT600N has 4 gigabyte ports so i can connect 4 desktops right ?

That's right. As far as the brand of cable goes, D-Link is easily available. The major difference between the CAT5e and CAT6 is speed, with CAT5e going up to 800MBps plus, but CAT6 touching 1GBps. Of course, CAT6 is way more expensive than CAT5e, hence the recommendation of CAT5e. Don't know the current pricing though.

As for the network adapters, since they're for desktops, I'd recommend PCI. But USB would do fine too.

The WRT600N/WRT610N has 4 ports, so that's four PCs that can be wired into it. However, if you need more ports, you could always connect a gigabit switch to it and expand the size of the wired network.

You can get the D-Link Gigabit 16port switch for arnd 8000rs

and get cat6 cables only,there isnt much price difference

And its not 800MBps or 1GBps..but 800mbps / 1gbps

MB= Megabyte, Mb=megabits , GB=gigabyte, gb=gigabit

@Mugen_Power: According to me, you don't need Gigabit setup. Even for hardcore home/office users 100Mbps is more than sufficient.

You are not doing a HPC cluster etc Are you?

Any specific thing for which you need gigabit LAN?

Normal 100Mbps LAN setup:

Pronet 100mbps switch: 400 - 500/-

Cable 5e : 7Rs/meter

Connectors: Rs 1.5 / 1

Crimping Tool: 100 bucks

:p

Gigabit LAN is good to have if you copy a large number of huge files like Virtual Machine Images or stuff like that. Otherwise 100Mbps should be enough for everybody ;-) If I'm not mistaken most laptops (even my 2 year old Acer) comes with gigabit LAN support, but not sure about desktops. If you can afford to, try and get an enterprise grade switch rather than going for a SOHO model (any Dlink, Cisco dealer will tell you the price differences and the advantages).

Draft N is the draft standard (not final) for providing high speed Wi-Fi access as pointed out by other posters. Bad idea right now as most laptops don't come with support for N (Unless you're specifically purchasing laptops with a/b/g/n support).
You might want to have a server for sharing files (documents, code) within the organization and probably one for backup purposes (RAID array). This is a good idea to ensure that all data is centrally available. Based on your comfort level and budgeting you could go with Windows Server 2003 / Windows Small Business Server or any flavour of linux (CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu). I can give you a few tips on deploying linux servers but not much experience with windows.

As for the BSNL broadband, I assume it is a DSL line. You might want to get a router with PPoE support (Ok maybe this sounds a little weird, but trust me it's quite easy). Or you could use a system (Windows or Linux) connected to the DSL modem with the modem set to bridge mode. Or you could use the DSL modem as a router too, but using a system instead ensures that you could set up a good firewall, content filters (if you're into that kind of thing), etc.

Setting up is a cinch. No headaches at all, just plug wires to and fro. You might have a little trouble with the wireless but reading the manuals for your access point will give you loads of insight.

Hope this answers some of your questions (too much info?). I don't know much about costs so I hope the other posters can help you out with that.

How should i setup all these ?
Will i have to make one server ?
Which cable will i need for giga lan ?
Which clipping will i have to do ?
Will i have to buy gigalan ethernet for desktop ?
Which Wi-Fi router should i buy ?
Which gigalan switch should i buy ?
What is N router ?

Thanks guys for your help.

I dont want to share large files or images over network, so i think right now i should have to go for 100mbps network and one wi-fi router for laptops. I have ask computer dealer to get me the prices of both cat5e and cat6 cables.I will setup one server to share bsnl broadband. ( it is dsl line )
Should i get cat6 cables right now ?
Which 8 port switch should i buy ?
Which wi-fi router should i buy for 100mbps wi-fi ?
How to connect 2 desktops with same network which are approx 75 meters from office ?

8 port -> Pronet switch is v.good. Using it for last 4 years without any problems.

I got it around 700/-. Now it should be 450/- ???

Cable -> go for cat 5e .. 6 per mtr.

>> How to connect 2 desktops with same network which are approx 75 meters from office ?

Using Wi-Fi of course, though antennas need to be custom made :p

(http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/)

UPDATE :

Guys,
Finally i have decided that right now i will not go for gigalan. I have decided that will get Wireless Broadband router, Dlink Cat5e cables, and 16 port 10/100MBPS switch.

How is Dlink DI-624 Wirelss Broadband Router ? ( 5500 Inclusive of all taxes. )
How is D-Link DES-1016D 16 Port unmanged 10/100 MBPS Switch ? ( 2850 Inclusive of all taxes.)

I got price of D-Link CAT-5 UTP Cable box (305 Meters) - 4450/= And D-Link CAT-6 UTP Cable box (305 Meters) - 6300/=

Should i go for this setup ? Is there any mistake in cat5 cable price ?
it should be 6-7Rs per Mtr and i got a quote of 14 Rs per Mtr.

Need your Inputs guys..

Oh i got it...u mean thte total length is 305 metres, and later u crimp it according to ur requirements / length for each connection ....the pricing is kinda fine ...but .uve to start crimping again n again right? in case u intend to connect like arnd 5-6 ..seperate connections for that crimping ..i suggest u better get already crimped ones from them.. the exact length u would need for 1 connection, like that for the rest connections ...

Back