Android Need help for my HTC One X

! 0 t A

Skilled
I am in a bit of a soup.I'll cut the logistic crap and put it in brief.

I bought an HTC One X of ebay, needless to say that its an imported phone (grey market) which is unlocked to work in india on some custom firmware. Now the world of ROMs in android ecosystem has always eluded me thus i request my fellow TEites to please be patient with me and explain it to me in very simple words (or point me towards guides that do that). Here is my problem :

1. The mic does not work in loudspeaker mode or Skype mode or any other video call application. (Might be hardware or software issue)
2. The phone switches off randomly. this might happen after 5 minutes or 6 hours, thus rendering the phone impossible to use.

The second issue being more critical, i feel might be because of some ROM issue. I did some research and some other people are also facing problems, but i could not find a concrete solution. I have basically had a tiff with the seller so i am not going to get any support from him. So I need to handle this on my own. .I have the following queries :

1. Can i approach any HTC service centre on chargeable basis to find out the issue or they will refuse to look at it, being a grey market device ?

2. If i can't go to HTC, can i somehow restore it to the original ROM, apply the latest OTA updates and purchase some global unlock code (i saw a site offering it for 15$) and then hope to see if it resolves the issue ? THe only catch here is that i don't know where it is imported from and how to restore it. .

3. Lastly, can i play with the ROM, as in install some new one on it to see if that works. Below is the current config of the phone, and i have no idea if I can load new ROMs are not. .as i remember the seller saying that not all ROMs can be loaded and some ROMs might lock the phone ? :(

-Android Version : 4.1.1
-HTC Sense : 4+
-Software No : 3.14.708.28
-HTC SDK API Level : 4.63
-HTC_Extension : HTCExtension_Sense_45_1
-Kernel : 3.1.10-gd21b8f8
root@abm022 #1
SMP PREEMPT
-Baseband Version : 5.1204.162.29
-Build Number : 3.14.708.28 CL128187 release keys
-Browser Version: Webkit/534.30

1. Can i approach any HTC service centre...

you should contact them to find out if your phone is a Chinese clone of One X.

2. If i can't go to HTC, can i somehow restore it to the original ROM, apply the latest OTA updates...

extract more device info (firmware etc) to be able find the right/original ROM:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tritonsoft.cidgetter

3. Lastly, can i play with the ROM

yes, do it by all means. if you haven't done this before then be sure to read a lot about installing recovery environment, rooting etc. flashing a ROM is 5 mins job if you've got the right tools.

Where can I find a good guide to restore this to original state . it says its from TW. If I restore and upgrade .. Can I purchase an unlock code with the IMEI no ??

dude as you reported, your phone is not working properly and that's a very common issue with cloned HOXs. first verify that yours is not a clone because a cloned HOX has higher chances of getting bricked. your seller has also hinted towards it.

On checking websites like fastcardtech, aliexpress etc I have realized that android clones today are made so much accurate that it is very difficult to differentiate between the original and clone.
They even do firmware level mods to show fake specs I believe.

So what do i do ? Does someone know a place in Pune, where i can take the phone to get it checked :(. .

Really scared to do anything without full knowledge as i might make it worse. .

So what do i do ? Does someone know a place in Pune, where i can take the phone to get it checked :(. .

Really scared to do anything without full knowledge as i might make it worse. .

First try to find a way to know how REAL is your phone. I don't know how to do that.
May be check things like pics taken from camera, their resolution, Anyway to check the REAL processor, cloned devices usually have MTK processors i believe.

Also, noticed a peculiar thing. .

It turns off whenever i put the phone on any flat horizontal surface with a bit or an impact. .

As soon as i do that. .the phone hangs for a second and turns off. .

Any idea why this is happening ?

just take it to your nearest HTC service center they will charge you for it but. Peace of mind is better than banging ur head on the device for solutions.

Back