CPU/Mobo need help in building a new system

hv_iitd

Disciple
hi guys,
i am going to make a new system for my brother, for which i am here to seek your help.

The major problem is that not every component from every manufacturer is available here, we have very limited choices in India.
The primary requirements are for intense gaming (FPS, RPG and Racing), and 3-D animation;

(i am hoping to run this system for at least next 3 to 4 years without envying by looking other's systems)
1) Quad mp----i have selected the Q6600 (any other beyond this is also beyond my purchasing power)
-------10,900 INR

2) Mobo-----any quad enabled mobo with good overall features and functionalities (extreme overclocking is not a criterion)

(i would like to have SLI but not sure of its stability and also its not necessary, if i can get good gaming performance without SLI then I will be more than happy)
(also if the mobo is DX10 ready or can run pHysix engine enabled cards then it would be very good)

--------12,500 INR for 680i SLI boards (approx.) (XFX & Asus)
--------10,000 INR for P35 boards (approx.) (MSI & Asus)
--------5,000 INR for G33 boards (approx.) (intel)

3) 4x1 Gb of DDR2 RAM (try to find one with frequency as close to as my mobo and mp)
-----------1,200 INR for 1 Gb DDR2 non-ECC KINGSTON RAM

4) Power Supply and Cabinet ---- for good power supply i have only one choice here "600W Cooler-Master";
-----3,900 INR
and for cabinet i will decide after selecting my mobo and graphics card

5) GPU----well i have no experience of using any GPU, but would like to have value for money;
what about DX10 and pHysix cards are they worth the money?

6) Monitor-----19" TFT ---i have no idea how to look for them and also dont have any choice in value region
---getting only LG one for 10,000 INR (2000:1 CR widescreen)
rest of the components i already have.

hoping your quick guiding replies,

thanx a ton....

If you are spending on a good comp and want to use it for 3-4years, why dont you go for 2x2gb sticks, maybe buy 4gb now and add more later on if needed.

I agree, u took too much pain to write all that, but pls tell How much is ur total budget? And anyways, 3-4 years looks way too much for technology to stay shining since its birth. 2 years still look decent.

^ It depends. I used a Athlon xp 2100+ and 512ram, 60gb HDD till last week and had bought that in end of 2001. And this was used for 12+ hours a day its entire life. Im hoping to finish all comp related buying by this year end and maybe wont spend on things other than a 500gb HDD some time during 2008.

It depends on what kind of needs people have.

^^ the reply was written considering that guys wants ONLY/- (it was written personally for "HIM").

The primary requirements are for intense gaming (FPS, RPG and Racing), and 3-D animation

For gamers and animators, things change very fast....He would require a hi-speed ram and CPU, and a sexy hot GFX card and a whopping amount of non-volatile memory... ;)

EDIT: Is ur technology shining?? BTW, thats what the thread-starter wants....

EDIT: Is ur technology shining?? BTW, thats what the thread-starter wants....

The only thing I can do is laugh at this. Not all technologies need updating hardware every couple of years and stuff.

BTW im not too far from animation industry.

I agree with the point that the OP "might" need that.

LAST OT. I dont want to crap this persons thread :p

The only thing I can do is laugh at this. Not all technologies need oodles of ram and stuff.

The technology we are talking about is for latest games and animation(User Specific). We are not talking of notepads, MS Excel and Internet Explorer, this can work with even the worst processor. :bleh:

BTW, laughing is very good for health, and i am glad that i was able to make u laugh. :eek:hyeah:

My suggestion,
CPU = C2D 6750
Mobo = XFX 650i* / Biostar Tp35
RAM = Kingston 4GB DDR3(1GBX2)
HDD = Seagate 8MB Single platter any capacity below 250GB, if you want more than buy similar HDD and do Raid 0.
CPU Cooler = TT Ultra 120Extreme
Chasis = Any chasis with good metal, cpu vent/fan, 120MM rear fan, shd be big, the bigger the better, I suggest 24cms broad @minimum.
PSU= Branded PSU like VIP/Corsair/Antec 550watts minimum.

shahbaaz_vision said:
My suggestion,
CPU = C2D 6750
Mobo = XFX 650i* / Biostar Tp35 - If u must go 650i. take the galaxy board. First prefernce for tp35, followed by abit ip35, nd then galaxy
RAM = Kingston 4GB DDR3(1GBX2)
He'll end up spending a fortune just on the RAM!! get DDR2 800MHz.. If ur into a lot of Rendering etc, u might need the 4 gigs.. else settle for 2 gigs..
HDD = Seagate 8MB Single platter any capacity below 250GB, if you want more than buy similar HDD and do Raid 0.
He has mentioned that he does not need a harddisc
CPU Cooler = TT Ultra 120Extreme
Chasis = Any chasis with good metal, cpu vent/fan, 120MM rear fan, shd be big, the bigger the better, I suggest 24cms broad @minimum.
Good metal??? Last i heard they were made of alu nd steel. never heard of any other material. atleast not on the non-modded ones :p
And size doesnt matter as much as your airflow setup does. As theindian would say, even a mid-tower(is it??) Sonata III can do a real good job..
PSU= Branded PSU like VIP/Corsair/Antec 550watts minimum.

hi guys,

first of all thanks for your replies they are really helping me in deciding the components....

second - i am very sorry for not giving my budget (somehow missed that)---its around 42,000 INR for the 6 components, but i can manage to stretch it to 50,000INR.

third----i have fixed few parts----(i am writing prices which i got from Nehru Place, New Delhi) (as my brother had said no to AMD so i have no choice to go for costlier intel based parts)....
1) Intel Q6600 --10,900INR
2) lg 19" lcd (LG L194WT) --- 10,000INR
3) CoolerMaster Extreme Power Pro 600W---3,600INR (not able to find a better one in nehru Place)
4) Kingston Non-ECC RAM---4x1 GB---4x1,200INR
----2x2 GB---2x5,200INR (thats why i am not going for 2 GB sticks)
5) UPS--APC SC 620 VA---2,800INR (approx.)
Now my biggest problem is mobo---which one to choose 680iSLI based or P35 based (as X38 is still not available),
then again which brand;

Asus 680i SLI (dont know the product name)----12,800INR
XFX 680i SLI (dont know the product name)----12,700INR
MSI P6N Diamond---15,000INR
MSI P35 Platinum---12,700INR
MSI P6N Diamond---15,000INR
XFX 650i (dont know the product name)----5,700INR
Intel D975XBX2---13,700INR
Intel G33 PBC---4,900INR
Intel G33 TLM---6,850INR
in future i would like to run dual monitors and dual GPUs on this config thats why i hope it to run competitively for next 3-4 years.

Due to my plans of running SLI i had to choose my GPU carefully, and i am a novice in that sector.

Cabinet --- i will try to buy one with max space---at present hoping for CoolerMaster CM690---4000INR (approx.)

After not finding a good mobo for SLI yet,
i am thinking of buying a G33 based for sometime---it will save me on GPU also,
and when the X38 ora better 680i SLI board will be available in INDIA, I will buy that one...dont know but i think i am going crazy about this SLI thing---

well the problem is taht if i buy an expensive board now i will not be able to upgrade it quickly....
sorry for the huge write up again...
but i think that will help you guys to give me right info...
thanks again....

Ok cool. In that budget which GFX card u r thinking about to run in SLi? I dont think u would be able to run 2x 8800GTS. Forget the whole SLi thing since its like a dream in this budget. And even running 2x 8600GTS wont overtake single 8800GTS.

These are final things u r at least getting.....
-Q6600 - 10.9k
-4x1GB 800Mhz ram - 6k
-600W Cooler-Master - 3,600INR (enough for u)
-19" Widescreen - 10k

Thats 30k destroyed.
Now u want to add a GPU and a mobo under 20k....and u want it to be gaming, so i guess u would want 8800GTS which itself is around 16k.....so 4k left for mobo...
Think think...and let us know what u want to do....cancel 2gb ram or something else?? BTW, u also need a cabinet... :p

You can forget about SLI if you wanna run a dual monitor setup.. coz thanks to the current state of affairs... SLI does not allow dual displays!

A TP35 is more than enuf since u wont be ocing the rig add a mid range gfx card cuz later the G9 series will launch and u can upgrade to a new card u'll save more than u spend right now.......

think over it

ok guys ....

after heavy discussions with my brother and freinds and considering what you guys and all other on different forums are suggesting... i am leaving the idea of having a high end mobo and running a SLI config...

now as suggested the majority is with Biostar TP35D2-A7 or Abit IP35-E.... which one to choose TP35 looks very good in reviews except nonavailability of Native Command Queining and bad performance in ethernet benchmarks...
but it costs half than the abit one...

in delhi i am getting 1GB kingston DR2 800MHz sticks will they run well with TP35....

which GPU will be good for gaming and 3D work...
give more consideration to gaming (especially shooting games)....
different people have suggested different cards-----
--Sapphire HD2600XT or
--EAH ATI 2600 Gpu & Ageia Phsyx processor
--Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 512mb @ 500Mhz [Ero-Sannin ]
--GF 8600GT 256MB [shahbaaz_vision]
...something costing between 8 to 10,000INR
(i hope i will get a decent one in that price)

and agian thanks a lot for your valuable advices...

on the GPU front i would suggest that u buy a low end card as a temp solution, since the 8800GT will be releasing in a few days time. Dont worry, am not asking you to wait for and buy the 8800gt.. but the thing is, once the GT is released, the domino effect will ensure that prices on the other nvidia gpus come down.. this might take a coupla months.. if you dont mind holding out for a coupla months on the GPU purchase it would help you out majorly...

Otherwise.. if your primary usage is going to be gaming, i would suggest a 8600gt conversely if your gonna be into a significant amount of 3d work involving MAX Maya nd stuff.. i would suggest that u go in for one of the ATI 2600's and soft mod it into a FireGL card.. vij will be able to help you out on the softmodding i guess..

you wont have a problem running that RAM on the biostar or the abit motherboards. There is also the possibility of you getting a IP35-E for about 5k odd. It can be ordered from kmd on the other forums. However, there could be a lead time of about 2-3 weeks before you get the motherboard in your hand.. It will come wid full warranty in the US, you'll jus need to pay the 500odd bucks shipping to the states. Inmost cases the turn around time will work out to be much less than that involved in claiming warranty from an Indian distributor.

hi guys,

finally i got my system ready....from SMC International, Nehru Place, New Delhi...this is the worst experience for

me at nehru place in last 7 years....

couldn't get exactly what i was looking for....those buggers at Nehru Place are very shrewd... finally i have to

purchase what they intended to sell...
i purchased the closest parts i can get to those suggested by you guys....

i waited for 3 days (on last day i waited from 10am to 3 pm at SMC itself) for the Abit IP35-E mainboard and XFX

8600GT 256MB DDR3 card but all in vain.....at first i was told that they have it...when i asked them to assemble

then they find out that these boards are not available with them :huh: ...then started offering G31/650i based

motherboards...i asked for high end boards and they have only one Asus P5Ne SLI costing 10,500 INR....similarly in

8600GT range they have either DDR2 based or the MSI 8600GTS (10,000 INR)...
after 5 hrs. i was so much frustrated that i bought whatever i got :mad: ....from next time i will purchase online

directly from the manufacturer....

sorry guys again a long story, this the only way to bring out my frustration and feel light......:)

here is my cost breakup----

1) Intel Q6600 --10,000 INR

2) CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600W---3,269.23 INR

3) Transcend Non-ECC RAM---2x(1 GB/800 Mhz/5-5-5)---3,461.54 INR

4) UPS--APC 650 VA---2,980.77 INR

5) CoolerMaster Elite 330 --- 1,730.77 INR

6) Seagate Barracuda 320GB/SATA2/SV3.5 --- 3,413.46 INR

7) MSI P35 Neo-F ---- 6,009.62 INR

8) Palit Radeon HD 2600PRO Sonic 256MB DDR3 --- 4,615.38 INR

skipped the TFT for the time being and using my old 15" CRT...

so how is the setup.....

i played Bioshock/Quake Elite Wars/FIFA 08 demos at max. details and 1280x1024 res. ---and it looked good---speed

was not compromised by 8x AA in bioshock demo...but still objects were somewhat blurry....

one more thing---can i check whather the components are really what they should be, i mean that they are not the

fake ones stickered with original logos... is there any software (other than SiSoft Sandra) which i can download and

test and benchmark my parts....

in the end thanks a lot... your suggestions were very helpfull...:thanx:

What do you mean my fake products???? It doesnt happen in computer hardware industry and specially SMC is quite a reliable shop. Prices look good except for the Ram. Which should have been somewhere around Rs. 2800-3000 for both the sticks.

^^yeah

they've hardsold you on the RAM..

but you seem to have gotten a real nice deal on the cabinet... so it sorta evens out :)

from what ive read on the forums, SMC is a decent place that aint gonna be giving FAKE products for sure :)

if you still wanna know about the details of your various components.. you could try software like CPUZ, GPUZ & Everest

Back