Need help in choosing UPS for powering a TV, Set-top box and router

valar007

Disciple
Hello. The apartment I live in has power backup but it is via Diesel generator. So if the power goes out, it takes a good 30 seconds to a minute for the generator to kick in. And once the generator comes on, the router takes 2 minutes to get connected to the internet. In this day of WFH, if one is presenting/demoing something, this is quite unacceptable.
My set up is very simple. There's one switch board that has 3 plug points. The 3 plug points are taken up by the TV (32-inch model), the cable set top box and the ISP's router-modem combo. A while back, I was looking at just purchasing a "router UPS" like this one. But the reviews aren't convincing and just for a little bit more money, I can get an entry level UPS and supply power while the generator is kicking in.
I looked at some brands like APC and MicroTek but not sure which brand to go with. The UPS is going to be used in a very hot and humid area (read near a coastline, Udupi, Karnataka).
Need help in choosing a UPS that can solve my issue and has 4 sockets, that can withstand the hot and humid weather and that lasts for at least 4 years. Thanks!

I have an iBall niranthar, APC BX600C & a BX1100C. None of them have given me any issues.
I've had the iball from 2019 onwards. Had to replace the battery once around 6 months ago (800rs).
The BX-600C I bought in 2020. Still no issues.
The BX-1100C I had for around 6 months. No issues other than the fans kick in when you turn off the power outlet. I usually keep them on always.
In the same situation as in, the community I live in has a generator, so these UPS only needs to provide support for under 30seconds before the gen kicks in.

I have an iBall niranthar, APC BX600C & a BX1100C.
Are these square wave ? not a problem with SMPS but domestic electronics likes sine wave so there could be issues with the power circuits of your electronics after some time

Yea. Its for monitors, PC and router. But is there a way to actually check it other than reading the output?
Like some spec on the sheet denotes that its square or sine?

But is there a way to actually check it other than reading the output?
No way unless you use a meter with a graphic display or an oscilloscope.

What you want with domestic electronics is a pure sine wave inverter.

I went and enquired in a couple of shops here. The brands that were recommended is as follows: Numeric > Luminous > Zebronics > APC.
I put APC in the last as everyone gave me the response, "You have to back order". All of them come with 2 year warranty on the body and 1 year for the battery.
The thing is, I have never heard of the brand Numeric and when I asked why to take that over APC, one guy said, "APC is for a city like Bangalore where there isn't much voltage fluctuation. But in Udupi, there's too much fluctuation and Numeric can handle better". I do know that the fluctuation is high in Udupi as I had to call Airtel and replace the router adapter once but I can't verify the other claim.

So, which one to go with? All of them are in the range 2400 to 3200

I went and enquired in a couple of shops here. The brands that were recommended is as follows: Numeric > Luminous > Zebronics > APC.
I put APC in the last as everyone gave me the response, "You have to back order". All of them come with 2 year warranty on the body and 1 year for the battery.
The thing is, I have never heard of the brand Numeric and when I asked why to take that over APC, one guy said, "APC is for a city like Bangalore where there isn't much voltage fluctuation. But in Udupi, there's too much fluctuation and Numeric can handle better". So, which one to go with? All of them are in the range 2400 to 3200
Which numeric was recommended ? do you know the model#

You'll get better attention here if you post the model# of the products you are considering.

I'm inclined to go with what that guy told you. I've seen posts of people tossing out APC because it could not handle fluctuation problems.

I do know that the fluctuation is high in Udupi as I had to call Airtel and replace the router adapter once but I can't verify the other claim.
Was that router adapter attached to a UPS or just connected directly to the mains ?

Last edited:
Yea. Its for monitors, PC and router. But is there a way to actually check it other than reading the output?
CRO is the only foolproof method.
However, one thing that you will realize ex post facto is that if the UPS is not sinewave then your fans will make a weird mix of whine & rattling sound.

This is not a pure sine wave model. The ones i'm referring to require an external lead acid battery.
Yeah, I didn't want to go that route.

Purchased the Numeric 600 EX yesterday. Working fine for my usecase. One gripe is that, all the places that sell this here have marked it above MRP stating supply crunch. Sigh.

Back