Budget 51-70k Need Help In deciding PC - HTPC & 24/7 Downloading rig

manucitc

Disciple
1.What is your budget?

2.What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel C2D E7500
Motherboard - Gigabyte g41-M
RAM - Transcend 2X1GB DDR3 800 mhz
Monitor - AOC i2757fh
PSU - Iball 350 Watt

3.Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - AOC i2757fh

4.Which hardware component are you looking to buy .If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5 4430/ i3 4340 / Pentium G3430
Motherboard - Asus H87 Pro
PSU - Best Modular Power Supply Units

5.Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, not going to upgrade for 5-6 year

6.Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Ahmedabad/flipkart/TE

7.Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8.What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Browsing
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies

No Gaming ever

9.Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Nope...

10.Are you looking to overclock?

No

11.Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit ..

My main requiremnet is watching HD movies , surfing , youtube & Downloading Rig 24*7

So power effiecient Rig is welcome ....

I have been using C2D E7500 for past 6 year and more than happy but it feel slow when unrar big file and
watching Movie in background...

Please help me in Decide...

Last edited:
60k Budget seems overkill to me.
The mobo you decided is definitely another overkill. Its a high end gaming board and not for htpc or download rig.
No use buying it when you won't game on it.
I similarly upgraded ( for same reasons as you have) from e6300 just last week in just 20k.

I bought Amd fx8320 which won't save you electricity.
I suggest Core i5 4440,
Corsair or gskill 4GB x 2 1600 MHz ram,
Seasonic s12II 450w,
Gigabyte mobo compatible with the processor at around 7k.
Total would come to around 32k I think if you get from flipkart.

Edit: get a good gfx card like AMD radeon7750 or better to get really good htpc playback.

I can get separate htpc like
wd tv live...

So now main use will be just
Watching hd movie, surfing & downloading...

I just don't want my pc to lag when doing work..

For my current set up when I open to many tab on Chrome and do unrar of large file, pc get slow...

The configuration I suggested won't lag. Intel i5 is quite capable of encoding videos in background too.
Old old rig lagged due to not enough memory and also slow processor.

You can increase memory from 8 to 16GB if required. The prices will come down in coming months so its better if you can use your old rams sticks at present if possible.
Isn't your old memory DDR2?

Asrock Mobo - www.flipkart.com/asrock-h87-pro4-motherboard/p/itmdmnwfzbsgqjzu?pid=MBDDMNWYZZCDTP2W&otracker=search&pageNum=1

Gigabyte mobo - www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-h87m-d3h-motherboard/p/itmdny2trcfk3aae?pid=MBDDMZW9ZUHGZ8KT&otracker=search&pageNum=1

Core i5 4440 was selling at 14k last time I saw it. Now its just around 13k.
www.flipkart.com/intel-3-1-ghz-lga-1150-i5-4440-4th-generation-processor/p/itmdpgyx9fn9cgan?pid=PSRDPGYVRPJAYYFH&otracker=search&pageNum=1

Your choice as a CPU and Mobo look good...

Does this configuration i5 4330/pro mobo will be more power hungry than my current set up or will be same..

i want to count power efficiency to as this rig will be on for 24*7...

TBH your current rig is more than enough for your kind of operation.
You can may be get a Second hand Intel Core 2 Quad,
Add an additional 8/4 GB RAM,
Change your PSU definitely to a 430W,
If you want to speed it a little more add in a 120/128/250/256 GB SSD.
As your primary monitor is a 27", get a GPU, 5 Series or 6 Series!
The above can get you still around for another 2-3 years.

Spend the rest of the money and get yourself a Raspberry Pi, or may be a Torrent download Router may be a DD WRT enabled one; both these can do 24x7 operations and it will save your energy front. But then each has its configuration settings to be done. There are a lot of threads here in the forum for help!

You need to get your priorities cleared up first.
A Power efficient rig will be less faster than a not so efficient one. There are drawbacks to one over the other.

If your main concern is to save electricity, then like abracadabra said, get a raspberry pi, pogo plug or Asus n13 router. These are really power efficient & take around 10-15watts Max.
I got the pogo plug two years back and it saved me around 300 rupees plus in electric bill from first month onwards.
You will have to work on putting debian or some other os on these devices but its easy.
These cost around 4k max I guess, and you can easily install a torrent client and use a portable hdd to save downloads with them. You will need to connect the pogo plug/ ras pi to a router to copy paste files to your pc. So for 24/7 download just the pi/ plug & router + modem will be on.
No need to switch on a comp.

You can get a new config if you like and just use it to play movies or like a htpc. A rig with a dedicated gfx card will definitely give more quality than a standalone device like wdlive etc.
Even the core i5 will save you money if paired with a gfx card. The 85w usage is for 100% load. Most of the time your cpu will be at less than 10% load even with full HD movie playing. The gfx card will take at most 15-20w. Total comp power usage will be less than 120 watts at most times probably. With your new rig running just 3-4 hr's per day (considering you only use it as a htpc), your comp will require just around 15 units a month at Max.

You can save even more money by getting a tablet like Kindle hd for browsing the web & watching YouTube. Its easier than switching on a comp, since your router will be on always. It won't be as stable as a comp will be. Opening too many tabs on a tablet will probably crash the browser.
Plus points are its portable and you just need little power to charge the tablet.

for the uses mentioned by op, an i3 is more than enough. although, i feel i5 will be better in the long run as you have mentioned 5 years. also 4gb ram is more than enough.
get the following.
i5 4440 - 12.3k
asus b85m g - 6.3k
kingston hyperx blu 4gb - 2.5k
antec vp450p - 2.7k
save the rest money. use it somewhere else where you may find a use.

Back