OC & Modding Need Help in flashing Bios !!

luckyishere

Disciple
Hello guys,

I have never ever updated my bios in my entire lifetime and now i gotta do it but i am not sure how to do it via USB or if there's any other easier way.

The mobo i have is MSI 790GX-G65 and procci is AMD Phenom II X4 965..

Msi website lets me download the file to update the bios but it has to be done via USB stick and i have no idea how to do it..I am afraid it might get damaged. I tried searching on google but i couldnt find anything which explains to a layman..Please guys help !!

The safest way to flash MSI board is like this.

Do the flash if it is absolutely imperative. Follow the instructions closely. Take backups.

What ever you do, do not do it via Windows desktop. Use the method I have told, or the M-Flash option using the internal MSI BIOS mechanism. In this method the BIOS has to be "shown" the new BIOS from the USB, it takes a while to access the folder structure since DOS is slow, so be patient. What ever you do, make sure you are on a UPS, if the light go kaput in between, you are jacked. The flash should take 20-30 seconds. Then you will get a check-sum error, go into the BIOS and set the time/date. You should be fine.

My Experience Flashing BIOS:

A month back, I flashed My ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard BIOS Successfully using Flashrom tool(Linux) Which worked the best(for Me).JFIP

--

Other Options For Me was to use DOS Utility(Afudos) using Freedos Floppy image(Which has to be loop mounted,copy the dos based flash utility,flash bios.ROM file).I tried booting with syslinux(memdisk) and it kind of Works as expected.if your bios.rom image is < than ...~1.1mb ,you can use 1.44MB freedos floppy image.Here is how:

How to flash motherboard BIOS from Linux (no DOS/Windows, no floppy drive)? | LinuxInsight

Back