Budget 0-20k Need help in upgrading my old pc

markaunit

Recruit
Hey all,
I have recently opened up my decade old pc after lying idle for 2 years.(Probably purchased it somewhere in 2009 / 2010). After reading across various threads here and other updates in general I am now looking for upgrade.
Now I have some catching up to do w.r.t games. I am really not looking to play at ultra settings for AAA games.
I will probably be doing the upgrades in a phased manner, but ideally this phase should last till early 2020, I will probably be doing main upgrades then.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 0 - 20K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE (125 w) @3.4ghz
    • Motherboard - MSI 790Gx-G65
    • GPU - MSI Radeon 5850 HD 1 GB OC edition
    • RAM - Corsair XMS DDR3 2 * 2 GB 1333 Mhz
    • Monitor - Benq G2420 HD
    • PSU - Corsair hx 750 Watts Modular
    • Cabinet - Cooler master HAF 922
    • Mouse: Razer Lachesis 4000 DPI
    • HDD : Seagate 500 GB
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE (125 w) @3.4ghz
    • Motherboard - MSI 790Gx-G65
    • PSU - Corsair hx 750 Watts Modular
    • Cabinet - Cooler master HAF 922
    • Mouse: Razer Lachesis 4000 DPI
    • HDD : Seagate 500 GB
    • Monitor - Benq G2420 HD
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU (it should last me atleast till early 2020)
    • RAM (I am thinking of 2 x 4 gb ddr3 sticks for now )
    • CPU Cooler (not sure on this as, I also want do a bit of o.c but nothing extreme)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • It is final till early 2012, will upgrade post that
    • CPU
    • Motherboard
    • RAM
    • Monitor
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune
    • Open to online purchase, city
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Photo Editing / Web Design
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No Preference
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS, RPG, Strategy , MMORPG, MOBA
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920 x 1080
    2. Desktop - 1920 x 1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes (though not to the extreme)
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows 10 64 bit (once win 7 ends)

Yours is a decade old config and none of the recent good gpus will hold on to that....your complete setup will be under bottleneck.

Advise to upgrade all major components -- cpu/mobo/ram/gpu and if possible an ssd.
Monitor/psu and cabinet is fine though.

Yours is a decade old config and none of the recent good gpus will hold on to that....your complete setup will be under bottleneck.

Advise to upgrade all major components -- cpu/mobo/ram/gpu and if possible an ssd.
Monitor/psu and cabinet is fine though.

I am anyways planning to do cpu / mono / ram later.
So if I hold off playing AAA games for now, would a gpu and increase in ddr3 ram from 4 to 8 gb still work ?
(I also want to O.C my phenom , if something bad happens then the upgrade would happen earlier).

Phenom proccy might be on its last phase in most recent games. OCing might squeeze very little extra performance. Do not expect for drastic FPS improvements.

Though having 8GB RAM is a must for most games, I would suggest you to think again over investing in DDR3 RAM. As DDR4 is mainstream now and prices of RAM are at rooftop.

For approx 30K, I think you can fit Ryzen 3 build for now along with GTX1050. It can do decent gaming. You may consider raising cash from current CPU + mobo + RAM and add it to existing budget of 20K along with some extra cash. Alternatively, if you would stay on 1080p gaming, I think 1050Ti does decent job. Though it costs about 3-4K more than GTX1050.

According to passmark benchmarks , the cpu is equivalent to an i3 3220 ( mine ; ) ), which I find plenty for all my needs. Paired with a gtx 750, it fills my gaming needs as well -
GPU - not sure which though, a high end one will probably go kind of waste with the current CPU, and mid range ones are overpriced here.
RAM - I would definitely add 4gb to it for now.

Phenom proccy might be on its last phase in most recent games. OCing might squeeze very little extra performance. Do not expect for drastic FPS improvements.
Though having 8GB RAM is a must for most games, I would suggest you to think again over investing in DDR3 RAM. As DDR4 is mainstream now and prices of RAM are at rooftop.
For approx 30K, I think you can fit Ryzen 3 build for now along with GTX1050. It can do decent gaming. You may consider raising cash from current CPU + mobo + RAM and add it to existing budget of 20K along with some extra cash. Alternatively, if you would stay on 1080p gaming, I think 1050Ti does decent job. Though it costs about 3-4K more than GTX1050.
Thanks for the suggestions. To be frank, I never have tried OCing, hence now since phenom is almost at its last phase I just wanted to OC it not for increasing FPS but for getting the feel of it, and if something goes wrong I can always upgrade the whole CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM. That's why I was trying to go for a GPU upgrade first, and then probably a CPU / Mobo upgrade
I checked the DDR4 RAM prices , they are really over the roof , hence I am still thinking that if I get a good Graphics card fist and add 2x2gb ddr3 sticks, it should suffice for now.

According to passmark benchmarks , the cpu is equivalent to an i3 3220 ( mine ; ) ), which I find plenty for all my needs. Paired with a gtx 750, it fills my gaming needs as well -
GPU - not sure which though, a high end one will probably go kind of waste with the current CPU, and mid range ones are overpriced here.
RAM - I would definitely add 4gb to it for now.
Thanks for the update, i was planning to add 4gb anyways.

So a 4gb ddr3 and gt1050ti 4gb seems like a good upgrade within the budget for now.

Back