Need help increasing my laptop's ram

shivam99aa

Disciple
i want to increase my ram from igb to 3gb,what would be the ideal cost to do so.i use compaq cq40 with intel pentium dual core processor and 150gb hard disk.i went to a wender and he told me 1300rupees.can anybody tell me what would be ideal range and what i should look before updating my ram.

nothing to look after.. just c whether

1.ur lappy supports ddr2/ddr3??

2.its freq...

addup another 1 or 2 gB stick ... try to get a stick with the same frq of ur present one... if u cant find a similar one then also no probs bcoz ur os will adjust to the lowest freq btwn the two...

incase u dnt no how to install it then simply ask the vendor to install it for u.. if he chrges for that simply refuse bcz generally many installs for free....

sftwr to check : cpuz

Not one of these guys have told you this, i wonder why :huh:

You need to know how many RAM Stick you can actually install on your Laptop.. Most of them have standard 2 DIMMs So all you'll need to do is purchase a 2gb Laptop RAM, for 4 GB or More you'll probably have to remove that 1 GB.

aasimenator said:

You need to know how many RAM Stick you can actually install on your Laptop.. Most of them have standard 2 DIMMs So all you'll need to do is purchase a 2gb Laptop RAM, for 4 GB or More you'll probably have to remove that 1 GB.

Thats why people have requested for CPU-Z shots.

If its 1 GB and one empty slot then great!

If its 2*512MB then there is no other option other than to remove a 512MB and be satisfied with 2.5GB of RAM (Will work fine. Friend is using his C2D based Acer like this for 2+ years now)

aasimenator said:

buddy this a common thing, everybody knows that laptop can hold 2 ram stick. There is nothing, so none of us have mentioned it.

And about buying new rams, you forgot to mention the main thing i.e. ram frequency. Both must be of same frequency else system may be unstable.

Compaq Presario CQ CQ40 Specification

Memory Type: DDR2 SODIMM 200pin

Memory Speed: PC2-4200, PC2-5300

Chipset: Intel GM45

Standard Memory: 2048MB (2GB) Removable

Memory Slot(s): 2

Max. Memory Per System: 4096MB (4GB)

Max. Memory Per Slot: 2048MB (2GB)

Install Memory in Pairs: Not Required

^ Transcends are good RAM's Have 3GB of DDR2 for over 4 years now.. they are steady at stock. I'd prefer Kingston, Both of them are good Entry Level RAM's you can go for either them if you don't want to shell out more bucks for Corsair / OCZ (Totally Worth it Though).

aasimenator said:
^ Transcends are good RAM's Have 3GB of DDR2 for over 4 years now.. they are steady at stock. I'd prefer Kingston, Both of them are good Entry Level RAM's you can go for either them if you don't want to shell out more bucks for Corsair / OCZ (Totally Worth it Though).
OCZ has quit RAM market. Corsair have some good laptop RAM in India. if you are on a budget then go for Kingston RAM.

Transcend A.S.S. seems to be poor.

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/avoid-transcend-products-153868.html

i have downloaded cpuz and run it on my system it gives some results are understandable to me while some are above my head.will you people there help me to understand my system better. this is text document telling about my system.

Attachments

• New Text Document.txt
    664 bytes · Views: 134
Please post a screen shot of the memory tab of CPU-Z

From the txt i think the slot one has 1GB of 667MHz DDRII RAM

4xGqr.png
vnnkA.png

RVSiZ.png

i am not able to add pics as the attachments are not coming in it and what you telling me is right i have a 1gb ddr2 ram but i thnk its frequency is 800mhz now what should i do,means should i go with kingston it is best for my system.

First upload your screen shot in an image uploading site like tinypics, imageshake etc. and post the ink here
Second just get a new ddr2 ram of your choice capacity of a good brand like kingston/transcend/corsair/.... Make sure that the new ram's frequency is 800MHz as your current ram is of that speed.

i have 1gb ddr2 ram stick 800mhz.. if u need i could sell it to u for Rs 500 +shipping.

Its hp original ram fiited into hp laptop...

Back