Camera Need help on buying a DSLR

Rohan7

Disciple
Hello,

My sister is getting married in a week. I wanna gift her a DSLR (budget 50k) and also i read through some of the topics people were talking about lens 18mm , 50mm can someone explain me what does it mean exactly?

P.S - I am a total noob went it comes to cameras :( need your help thanks in advance.

Is your sister fully comfortable with using a DSLR ?

18 and 55mm are the various focal lengths of the lenses which can be mounted on a Camera.

All cameras has some type of lens attached in front and each lens has a certain focal length.

Less focal length means a wide zoomed out shot.(10-24mm)

More focal length (100-300mm) means more zoomed in ..

Is your sister fully comfortable with using a DSLR ?

18 and 55mm are the various focal lengths of the lenses which can be mounted on a Camera.

All cameras has some type of lens attached in front and each lens has a certain focal length.

Less focal length means a wide zoomed out shot.(10-24mm)

More focal length (100-300mm) means more zoomed in ..

Yes she is. she has done some photography class and she was even planning to buy one.

is she a photography enthusiast ? if not give her a canon ixus 255

Yes she into photography

I would suggest Nikon D5200 + 50mm Prime AFS lens.

The combo would cost around 47-48K.

You can also gift D7000 which is a very good cam if budget permits. D7000 will be with her for years. :)

@Rohan7 Hi This might be a good tutorial - one of many available but will clear most of your doubts on lenses. Also the approximate zoom can be calculated by dividing the (higher number - lower number)/lower number.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

E.g. 18-200 lens is (200-18)/18 = 10x

Also as I have suggested in other posts I am not a huge fan of kit lenses. Do not be misled by pictures taken by professionals. It is very difficult to duplicate the same using a kit lens. My two cents.

Thanks

Raj

Don't buy her a DSLR. These days micro-four third and mirror less cameras are really popular and have good IQ. A lady would appreciate the small size and unobtrusive nature of these cameras.

Hello Rohan.

I think it might be wise to let her take her own choice about equipment. Having studied photography as she has, she will have some idea of what she wants. She may know enough to know that she needs an upscale or advanced amateur design instead of an entry level camera. She will probably choose Canon or Nikon, but that choice should be hers, in my opinion. If your choice is different from hers, she will either feel obliged to use a camera she does not prefer, or she will trade it at a loss to get whatever she really wants.

I would give her money or a gift certificate for the value of the budget, telling her it is for her camera choice.

Henry :)

My Suggestion - Get her a Sony NEX 5R kit, they should be available around 35k I guess. Add either the 55-210 tele zoom for 17k or the SEL35F18 prime for 24k.

Back