CPU/Mobo Need help on CPU FAN RPM

Dams

Disciple
Dear Friends,

I assembled a rig with E6300 and Intel DG965WH a week ago. The System is working fine however with a small bug.
I am unable to see CPU fan RPM both in BIOS and in any of the mobo monitoring utility.(Intel, Everest, speedfan).:(
I got in touch with Intel & got reply to change some settings in BIOS which did not work. Further I was given a international toll free number.:mad:
I've updated the BIOS, which has not helped.

I did a test of my own. I connected the CPU fan to my Auxilary FAN connector (4 pin connector). On doing so the BIOS and the windows read the RPM as 952.:huh:

I've restored the fan connection back to CPU connector. At this point it is
clear that there is no problem with the fan. This raises below questions
1> Is there a motherboard at fault?
2> Is it a BIOS firmware problem?
3> Is it ok to connect the CPU fan to the auxillary fan connector?
4> Can the auxilary FAN connector be redisgnated as CPU fan connector?
5> Is it a must that BIOS and OS should read CPU fan RPM. My Core 1 &2 temperatures in normal running are 55 & 58 deg C respectively.

I would highly appreciate If any of you could answer the above questions. :S

regards,

Damodar.

Try using speedfan to see if it reads CPU fan... most likely not. Are 55-58 idle temps? Are you using Core Temp to monitor these temps? Temp is on higher side... but than again I wont know caz I have not used a stock cooler.

Thanks for a quick reply
Speedfan is not working with my mobo.:huh:

The Core1 & 2 temperatures were taken using Everest Ultimate Edition software. The Temperatures are more or less same during idle and gaming. Occasionally going to 62 deg C in gaming. I got a mail from Intel saying these temperatures are Ok.

Any further inputs guys:( Looking forward to more comments.:)

samrulez said:
The fan connectors should go into the board and not the PSU...

The Fan is connected to 4 pin connector in the board designated for the CPU. Thanks for the reply anyway.

It looks like the mobo CPU fan connector is faulty and is not providing fan with power... thus when u switch to aux the fan runs. Running fan permanently on aux is fine, but I believe that the aux fan power is limited thus your low RPMs... Do you have any chasis fan connector on your mobo? Try using that as well... Also please clarify, when u connect the CPU fan to mobo does it run? but not show in mobo, or does it not run at all?
If it runs but cant be monitored, u should be ok, as long as u dont want fancy features like changing fan speeds, but if it doesnt run at all, thats trouble.
-Temps are still tooo high. My idle temps with mild OC (400 FSB) with Core Temp at 37 40 and at full load they dont exceed 50 with the winter here. I have an artic pro cooler though, so cant comment on stock coolers.
Use Intel TAT to measure the temps, and ensure that under heaviest load temps dont exceed 60. Actually at core level u can even go at temps of around 70 degrees but u would shorten cpu life.

techcheat said:
It looks like the mobo CPU fan connector is faulty and is not providing fan with power... thus when u switch to aux the fan runs. Running fan permanently on aux is fine, but I believe that the aux fan power is limited thus your low RPMs... Do you have any chasis fan connector on your mobo? Try using that as well... Also please clarify, when u connect the CPU fan to mobo does it run? but not show in mobo, or does it not run at all?
If it runs but cant be monitored, u should be ok, as long as u dont want fancy features like changing fan speeds, but if it doesnt run at all, thats trouble.
-Temps are still tooo high. My idle temps with mild OC (400 FSB) with Core Temp at 37 40 and at full load they dont exceed 50 with the winter here. I have an artic pro cooler though, so cant comment on stock coolers.
Use Intel TAT to measure the temps, and ensure that under heaviest load temps dont exceed 60. Actually at core level u can even go at temps of around 70 degrees but u would shorten cpu life.
Thanks for a reply and sharing your experience. My CPU fan is running, but cant say at what RPM.
The temperatures that I mentioned were that measured by Everest Ultimate edition software. This software gives Core 1 & 2 temperatures seperately. The temperature shown by Intel utility around 48 to 54 deg C (Combined temperature).

Below is the reply that I got from Intel

Hello Damodar,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

We understand you are having problems detecting the fan speed.

Please make sure you are pressing F10 to save changes and exit in order to keep
the changes you made.

The core temperatures you are reporting are totally normal. Those temperatures
are expected behavior.

If the issue persists, please contact the following Intel(R) office:

(0006517) 2 68303634
Manual toll free.
From India, you need an IDD-equipped phone.

09:00 to 17:00 (India time), Monday - Friday

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Daniel B.
Intel(R) Technical Support

--------------------
Hello Damodar,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

For your reference, your Email Case Number is: 7101833

We understand you are having problems detecting the fan speed.

Please go into BIOS Setup Utility by pressing <F2> during the boot process.
Once in the BIOS setup utility, go to Advanced > Fan control and in Automatic
Fan Detection select next boot. Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot
the system.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Daniel B.
Intel(R) Technical Support

techcheat said:
I believe this has not fixed the issue... it looks like a bios bug, trying flashing the bios?

I already flashed the Bios with the latest version. Did not work.:S
I contacted one of my friend with similar configuration, He has similar temperatures and CPU fan speed of 1000 RPM.
Is it normally possible to increase and decrease the fan speed using software controll? If this RPM is ok can I just forget the issue?

Back