OC & Modding Need help on overclocking E6300 on P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP

paroxy

Disciple
P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP isnt a gr8 overclocker is what i heard. But i was sure i cud atleast get a 2.33GHz on stock cooling. This is my first attempt at overclocking and yesterday i just managed 2.1Ghz and its passed orthos per 3 hrs...but when i changed the FSB to 1333(quad pumped) (thats how its in the BIOS the FSB has to changed in Quad pumped range). windows booted but when i started orthos to check for errors in 2-3 mins the system shutdown on it own everytime :(. im really disappoint with this measly overclock of mine.

I have touched any Voltage setting yet. The voltage setting are all at Auto option in the bios. Im not planning on an off market cooler like U120 or something like. but will be buying an AS5 for temps. Whats the best overclock i cud get with this setup on stock cooling and AS5. oh btw i have 2GB of kingston 667 value RAM, which is supposedly is decent overclocker from a pervious theard i infer. FYI the BIOS is also the latest(BIOS version#0901).

paroxy said:
I have touched any Voltage setting yet. The voltage setting are all at Auto option in the bios.

sry for the typo....

i haven't touched any voltage settings yet. need help with what are the acceptable settings.

Default CPU vCore ??? (if U dont know then open CORE TEMP and see VID.

FSB DRAM Ratio in BIOS ??? (Set to 1:1, like @ 333MHz RAM will run @ 667MHz)

Check CPU actual voltage (Under stress) in Everest ultimate or latest version of CPU-Z.

R U using 4 RAM sticks???

Dont set VCore in BIOS to Auto, Set manually.

Disable EIST, C1E and CPU Thermal Control in CPU options.

using 2X1GB sticks....

if i set the Vcore manually ill have to set the rest also i suppose...

so what are default values for the rest of voltages like NB and SB etc etc

the Vcore in CPU-z was around 1.2v and the memory voltage was 1.8v

FSB DRAM ratio option isnt available in bios i think ...i cudnt find it.

have to manually maintain the 1:1 ratio

will note the actual voltages(under stress) tonite once back home ....

paroxy said:
using 2X1GB sticks....
if i set the Vcore manually ill have to set the rest also i suppose...
so what are default values for the rest of voltages like NB and SB etc etc
the Vcore in CPU-z was around 1.2v and the memory voltage was 1.8v
FSB DRAM ratio option isnt available in bios i think ...i cudnt find it.
have to manually maintain the 1:1 ratio
will note the actual voltages(under stress) tonite once back home ....

with that measly amount of voltages you cannot take your CPU to where you want to, set vcore to atleast around 1.4V, NB to ~1.37(see whatever option you have), i dont think there will be an option for SB but for memory do not run it on 1:1 since then you will have to bother about memory overclocking ability as well, better set it to unlinked(this is quite a great feature of asus P5NE32 and P5NE boards), manual to whatever your memory is capable of

sangram said:
Reports read that the 590 is capable only of about 300-325 before needing new cooling, so 2.1 GHz seems about right for you, and you'd need a multi unlocked/high multi chips to get decent OCs out of this board.

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP,590 SLIâ„¢ Intel Edition - XtremeSystems Forums

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP – Old new C19 examined :: TweakTown

thanks for info...really sad that C19 is such a useless chipset :(

i tried upping the Vcore to 1.4 - 1.5 but no luck the system reboots after a min or 2 of orthos.

u mention something abt new cooling...so if i invest in say a U120 now cud i be able to say push the mobo harder...cause even if i get say around 400 FSB that would be totally worth the Ultra-120...otherwise i would rather save up for a couple of months and get a it along with my E8x00+new mobo ...and this time around a gud overclocker mobo :p

just let me know if the Ultra-120 is gonna help then its worth the investment now otherwise i rather get it along with my new upgrade later...

a quick question....these are the voltage options in the BIOS...

Vcore,Memory,1.2V HT,CPU VTT,SB core,NB core,Vcore Over voltage...

could some 1 explain what all these voltages mean and how they determine the OC??

No. Chipset (not CPU) cooling may get you another 10-20MHz but not more. The stock Intel cooler is good to 1.35V and about 3.2-3.6 GHz, so you don't really need a TRU/E120 or similar.

If you have good memory (capable of 450FSB) + CPU mult >9 then an Intel chipset is the way to go. If you got generic RAM then the nVidia series will help you unlink the memory so you can push low-mult chips pretty high.

Remember 3.0Ghz = 400x7.5, so the mult is pretty low and you're already at the limit of 800MHz DDR2, so the OC is tougher than say an E6600 which is already mult x 9 and FSB of 266. Together with even valueRAM the OC can be very satisfying. I'm currently at 350 FSB with no added voltages to anything, the Vcore had to be manually set to 1.28 to conquer Speedstep. This is 3.15GHz on the stock cooler, no increase in load temp (idle went up by about 5 degrees due to no Speedstep/C1).

You'd be better off with a lower FSB CPU (say 266/333) and quality DDR2/800 if you want to push hard once you upgrade. For now, just forget about it. Since the E6300 can be a formidable overclocker, would suggest a platform upgrade to just the RAM and the mobo, you can easily push a good combo up to 450FSB (3.15 GHz) without any new cooling.

Vcore = Processor Core voltage. Useful when the CPU is hitting a speed wall. For C2d should be always less than 1.4 volts unless you have excellent (>air) cooling.

Memory = Memory voltage. Default 1.8 for valueRAM. Most cheap RAM is good to 1.95 volts, 'overclocker' or enthusiast memory rated to 2.2 or even 2.4 volts. Generally more memory voltage can get you higher memory speeds, but not guaranteed. Memory can burn with extra voltage, so watch before you pump it up.

1.2V HT = The HTT link generator voltage. In the nVidia chipsets an HT link connects the north and south bridges. Generally has no effect on clock speeds, but may help chipset stability.

CPU VTT = Core termination voltage. Read here for more: Adjusting A/GTL+ Levels for Increased FSB Signaling Margins and Overclocking - The Tech Repository Forums

SBcore/NB core = core voltage for South and Northbridges. The NB voltage is the one that really determines the first ceiling, the SB can be gradually increased once you hit a wall. SB core generally help stability, the NB is the more important one.

Vcore overvoltage = this setting corrects for Vdroop. Basically this increments your Vcore setting by a predetermined (small) amount, to counter the effects of drooping voltage at high overclocks (due to load on the processor regulation circuitry)

u have been gr8 help sangram....i think rather than a ultra 120 i think ill get a

ABIT IP35-E , stick with kingston 667 valueRAM and see how much i can push my E6300...

since E6300 is locked at 7 multiplier pushing the FSB to 400 wud get me 2.8Ghz and if i can also manage to OC the RAM to 400 i think i can last out my current E6300 for another year or so...and postpone my upgrade further :p

Back