Need help regarding GPU purchase (20-40k)

Mike Messiah

Disciple
My current specs
  • Ryzen 7 5700x​
  • 16GB DDR4​
  • Zotac GTX 1070 8GB (very old and noisy now)
  • Gigabyte B350M-D3H (F52g firmware)​
  • 500W Antec VP500 PSU​
  • 24inch 144hz 1080p monitor​
It is still a very capable workhorse, letting me play every modern AAA game. But lately i am feeling i am not gettting to play games the way its meant to play. I played Ratchet and Clank on PC, and it was NOT EVEN CLOSE to how it looked on my friend's PS5. It felt like i was playing jhumla version on my PC. Now i am playing Baldur's Gate 3, and in Act 3 i have to lower my graphics settings to get acceptable framerate. If one needs to lower settings for a fricking RPG, one's ego does get hurt right? I am also noticing that games i play at High settings dont look as good as games on my friend's RTX 3070. Its like his High settings is betternt ahn my High settings.
So i have decided to get an upgrade.
I dont want to spend a lot, but then if i dont spend a lot, there will hardly be any difference in performance between my GTX 1070 and the new one i buy. Moreover, buying a powerfull graphic card would mean buying a new PSU too.
The following are some GPUs , and i have already done the lowest-price hunt in advance (from shops i trust). Kindly advice which one to buy and which one is worth the investment for the future.
  • AMD RX 7600- Rs 26,550
  • NVIDIA RTX 4060- Rs 28,365
  • AMD RX 6700- Rs 31,500
  • AMD RX 6700XT- Rs 33,347
  • NVIDIA RTX 4060ti- Rs 36,685
  • NVIDIA RTX 3070- Rs 40,000
Also i would like a PSU recommendation, with cost (if i need a PSU upgrade for the GPU). I want some future proofing too so i dont mind spending extra.

My current specs
  • Ryzen 7 5700x​
  • 16GB DDR4​
  • Zotac GTX 1070 8GB (very old and noisy now)
  • Gigabyte B350M-D3H (F52g firmware)​
  • 500W Antec VP500 PSU​
  • 24inch 144hz 1080p monitor​
It is still a very capable workhorse, letting me play every modern AAA game. But lately i am feeling i am not gettting to play games the way its meant to play. I played Ratchet and Clank on PC, and it was NOT EVEN CLOSE to how it looked on my friend's PS5. It felt like i was playing jhumla version on my PC. Now i am playing Baldur's Gate 3, and in Act 3 i have to lower my graphics settings to get acceptable framerate. If one needs to lower settings for a fricking RPG, one's ego does get hurt right? I am also noticing that games i play at High settings dont look as good as games on my friend's RTX 3070. Its like his High settings is betternt ahn my High settings.
So i have decided to get an upgrade.
I dont want to spend a lot, but then if i dont spend a lot, there will hardly be any difference in performance between my GTX 1070 and the new one i buy. Moreover, buying a powerfull graphic card would mean buying a new PSU too.
The following are some GPUs , and i have already done the lowest-price hunt in advance (from shops i trust). Kindly advice which one to buy and which one is worth the investment for the future.
  • AMD RX 7600- Rs 26,550
  • NVIDIA RTX 4060- Rs 28,365
  • AMD RX 6700- Rs 31,500
  • AMD RX 6700XT- Rs 33,347
  • NVIDIA RTX 4060ti- Rs 36,685
  • NVIDIA RTX 3070- Rs 40,000
Also i would like a PSU recommendation, with cost (if i need a PSU upgrade for the GPU). I want some future proofing too so i dont mind spending extra.
7800XT for 54 to 58K

I am also noticing that games i play at High settings dont look as good as games on my friend's RTX 3070. Its like his High settings is betternt ahn my High settings.
At exactly same settings, it should look same. Atleast when not in motion. In motion we can have blur at low refresh rates.
Maybe its your monitor that does not look as good in comparison. Monitor can make a decent difference too - colors/brightness/contrast.

1) 4060 i think would be worth it over 7600 at that price difference. Don't expect future proofing here but this can be a good 'value' option ( or used ones will give much better value )
2) 4060ti/3070 do not have enough VRAM for their price. 4060ti is probably the worst release recently.
3) If you ever move from 1080p to higher resolution, and prefer to max out settings, then you probably will need 12gb or more VRAM and maybe 4070/6800xt/7800xt at minimum.
Lower cards will be fine with some compromise, but recent releases do seem to tax gpu/cpu a lot.
Other option is go cheaper and play older games and lower settings with new games.
Many have said that High is usually the optimal way to play. Ultra does not make much difference and costs a lot relatively. This is game dependent too obv.
Raytracing - This can cost a lot of performance. Amd does not work as well as Nvidia here. For some time i thought its not worth it, and maybe it isnt.
But i am not as sure anymore - it can look nice at times - Metro/Witcher 3. Lower end cards will struggle with RT if you want to try.
And amd generally does one tier worse performance with RT. But against that, Nvidia has been very skimpy with VRAM so nvidia cards may have less future proofing ( other than 4090/4080)
4) For higher end cards, eventually you may want to replace cpu too. Many games start bottlenecking on cpu these days. Maybe can consider once next gen cpus arrive. This depends on resolution too. 4k should be fine, 1080p will likely bottleneck often on cpu.

Last edited:
7800XT for 54 to 58K
can you recommend something under 40k.
Edit: Do you think i should wait for Puja/Diwali sale or those sales wont apply to GPUs?
How about 7700xt at 45k? Is it a bad buy?

At exactly same settings, it should look same. Atleast when not in motion. In motion we can have blur at low refresh rates.
Maybe its your monitor that does not look as good in comparison. Monitor can make a decent difference too - colors/brightness/contrast.

1) 4060 i think would be worth it over 7600 at that price difference. Don't expect future proofing here but this can be a good 'value' option ( or used ones will give much better value )
2) 4060ti/3070 do not have enough VRAM for their price. 4060ti is probably the worst release recently.
3) If you ever move from 1080p to higher resolution, and prefer to max out settings, then you probably will need 12gb or more VRAM and maybe 4070/6800xt/7800xt at minimum.
Lower cards will be fine with some compromise, but recent releases do seem to tax gpu/cpu a lot.
Other option is go cheaper and play older games and lower settings with new games.
Many have said that High is usually the optimal way to play. Ultra does not make much difference and costs a lot relatively. This is game dependent too obv.
Raytracing - This can cost a lot of performance. Amd does not work as well as Nvidia here. For some time i thought its not worth it, and maybe it isnt.
But i am not as sure anymore - it can look nice at times - Metro/Witcher 3. Lower end cards will struggle with RT if you want to try.
And amd generally does one tier worse performance with RT. But against that, Nvidia has been very skimpy with VRAM so nvidia cards may have less future proofing ( other than 4090/4080)
4) For higher end cards, eventually you may want to replace cpu too. Many games start bottlenecking on cpu these days. Maybe can consider once next gen cpus arrive. This depends on resolution too. 4k should be fine, 1080p will likely bottleneck often on cpu.
I played Ratchet and Clank on PS5 and it looks way way better than on my PC (GTX 1070) in High settings. I feel we are actually loosing out quiet a lot in High settings on PC. Maybe need to go Ultra to be on par with consoles.

then you probably will need 12gb or more VRAM and maybe 4070/6800xt/7800xt at minimum.
What about 7700XT at 45,000
I dont think i can stretch furthur than this since i will have to buy a new PSU too :(
The 7700XT has very little improvement over 6700XT considered the 10,000 extra cost

Last edited:
How about 7700xt at 45k? Is it a bad buy?
Go to hardware unboxed/techspot or Gamers Nexus for reviews for stuff like this.
Example

7700xt is not a good price, its priced too close to 7800xt - deliberately to make people buy 7800xt.
Good chance that its price will fall in few months similar to 7900xt vs 7900xtx.

6800xt is maybe slightly faster than 7800xt too, so can consider that if available cheaper. I only see one entry in pcpricetracker.in at reasonable price ( 49k).
And in India 4070 is much closer to 7800xt (100$ gap in usa) and for people who care about RT/DLSS/DLDSR and less about 12gb vs 16gb vram, 4070 might be better ( better today but probably less future proof ).

Unfortunately we don't have simple 1:1 comparisons these days, its all ifs and buts.
Also note, that Zotac has 5y warranty. Most others are 3y. Gigabyte might have 4Y on some models, not sure. Because of this alone, so far i have only bought Zotac + Nvidia.
Nvidia gpus in 40 series use less power, but unfortunately many are badly priced. 4070 is probably okayish.

------------------

Also 6700xt/6750xt/6800(16gb) are all cheaper options if available at decent price. 4060/3060(12gb one) are decent too.
Used 3060ti ( similar perf as 6700xt) is often available around 20k. Used 3070 / 3070ti also in low/mid 20s ( or lower don't know). At that price 8gb vram is ok.
A used 3080 sold recently for 33k here.

You just have to decide which tier you want to buy, and whether used or new.
No harm in buying cheap but good enough now and replace when needed. There will always be a higher price option just out of budget and then budget increases and so on until we get to 4090.

Go to hardware unboxed/techspot or Gamers Nexus for reviews for stuff like this.
Example

7700xt is not a good price, its priced too close to 7800xt - deliberately to make people buy 7800xt.
Good chance that its price will fall in few months similar to 7900xt vs 7900xtx.

6800xt is maybe slightly faster than 7800xt too, so can consider that if available cheaper. I only see one entry in pcpricetracker.in at reasonable price ( 49k).
And in India 4070 is much closer to 7800xt (100$ gap in usa) and for people who care about RT/DLSS/DLDSR and less about 12gb vs 16gb vram, 4070 might be better ( better today but probably less future proof ).

Unfortunately we don't have simple 1:1 comparisons these days, its all ifs and buts.
Also note, that Zotac has 5y warranty. Most others are 3y. Gigabyte might have 4Y on some models, not sure. Because of this alone, so far i have only bought Zotac + Nvidia.
Nvidia gpus in 40 series use less power, but unfortunately many are badly priced. 4070 is probably okayish.

------------------

Also 6700xt/6750xt/6800(16gb) are all cheaper options if available at decent price. 4060/3060(12gb one) are decent too.
Used 3060ti ( similar perf as 6700xt) is often available around 20k. Used 3070 / 3070ti also in low/mid 20s ( or lower don't know). At that price 8gb vram is ok.
A used 3080 sold recently for 33k here.

You just have to decide which tier you want to buy, and whether used or new.
No harm in buying cheap but good enough now and replace when needed. There will always be a higher price option just out of budget and then budget increases and so on until we get to 4090.
Is RDNA3 worth it over RDNA2. The 6800XT outperforms the 7700XT, but its old tech.

Is RDNA3 worth it over RDNA2. The 6800XT outperforms the 7700XT, but its old tech.
I don't know everything and have not used AMD gpu.
But yeah, between those two 6800xt is an easy choice. This gen has been flattish in terms of performance vs last gen same tier for both Nvidia and AMD, but prices now have decreased somewhat compared to launch prices. 7800xt, you can ponder if at same price but 7700xt is a clear step down i think from what i saw.

BTW RX 6750XT exists, which performs 5% better than 6700XT, adding more reasons why 7700XT is expensive. It is 34k these days.

IMO get 6750XT + 650/750W gold PSU, will not cross 40k by much. Indeed, if you go the used route, you will get better performance, but that's entirely your call.

My issue with the new 6800XT is the manufacturer, both AsRock & Sapphire have poor RMA experiences. IMO it will take time for 7700XT prices to fall (it's inevitable) & for 7800XT prices to settle with a good selection of models. AMD usually overprices their GPUs here at launch & its prices do fall after a few months (like 3-6 months), 7900XT & 7900XTX are good examples (85k vs 100k launch & 100k vs 110k launch price respectively for good models, not AsRock ones).

Back