Laptops [Need Help] The same old overheating issue

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
I had no experience of this, and googling-searching didnt gave me easy info about what to do:

Laptop: Lenovo Z560, i3, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 512MB NVidia GPU, Win 7 Ultimate

Life: 1.5yrs old

Usage: Now only Light usage (Web, Movie)

Since last 2-3 months, I noticed overheating of my lappy, reaching temp upto 60-70 deg C.

On avg CPU: CPU temp goes around 50 deg C, GPU too.

Yesterday it shut down due to this, Now I am little worried. The laptop have never serviced, so I am hesitating to open up the screws and do anything else.

How can i verify is it due to dust in vents? Should i buy a moderately cheap Laptop Cooler?

A quick DIY guide would be best.
<

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Sep 16, 2011
New Delhi
My mate's vaio used to reach 85°, your is just around 60-70
<

Coming to point, 60-70 (on usage) is a bit above normal temps. Don't freak out. Most laptops need a servicing after 1-2 yrs. Open it if you can. You just need to clean the dust and reTIM the CPU &GPU (if required). That's it and temps will cool down by 20° or so.
<
Service centre will charge 1000/- or so for this small thing.

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I was also thinking it...I have never cleaned the lappy since i bought it
<

But as the lappy is no more into warranty, there is no warranty void kind of issues if i open up the screws. Should i be ready to apply some thermal paste n all?

Also, I just read somewhere that obsolete BIOS may also add on to this issue. How to confirm & handle this?
<

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Sep 16, 2011
New Delhi
Thanks for the reply.

I was also thinking it...I have never cleaned the lappy since i bought it
<

But as the lappy is no more into warranty, there is no warranty void kind of issues if i open up the screws. Should i be ready to apply some thermal paste n all?

Also, I just read somewhere that obsolete BIOS may also add on to this issue. How to confirm & handle this?
<

You can search video tutorials to help in assembling. BIOS may help to fix some kind of software issue reducing temps by a few notches, but not by the margin you're targeting for. Though BIOS updation is recommended any day.
<

s_anuj

Adept
Feb 26, 2008
Bangalore
unboxedninja.blogspot.in
Clean the heatsink grill. I'm sure there's dust accumulated there. Wouldn't advise applying thermal paste.

For cleaning the grill, try using a vacuum cleaner as first option. If that doesn't work then try opening it.

For the BIOS... like #[member='JuGGa'] said... always good to keep things up to date..

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Sep 16, 2011
New Delhi
#s_anuj ReTIMing helps immensely man, it will for sure cool down the temps by at least 10°, my personal experience.

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Sep 16, 2011
New Delhi
So, I am going to do these two things:

# Unscrew it (for the first time) and de-dust it.

# Update BIOS (just for the sake of: 'keep things up to date')

But i dont have a vaccum cleaner, i must buy a blower from local computer shop.

How about this: http://www.ebay.in/i...=item3cc4174dde

Any tips you guys want to offer?
<

You can try it though I have not tried my hands on that blower. Also DON't forget to reTIM.

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Hmm....ohk, i'll surely spend my this weekend tweaking my lappy. Lets see how much it will benefit. Meanwhile I am also thinking to buy some mid-range cooling pad.

How comfortable are cooling pad as I used to put my laptop on my lap either sitting or lying (as every1 do
<
)?

pr.itdude

Disciple
May 27, 2009
Unscrewed my lappy for the first time, a bit hesitated at first, but later removed the components one by one and cleaned d dust... reTIM as @JuGGa suggested.

I had the experience of doing this thing with my desktop...so no issues faced.

Before: CPU: ~50 deg C , GPU: ~50 deg C @ no CPU usage even below 20%. Noticed upto 80deg C temp.

After: CPU: ~35 deg C, GPU: ~50 deg C @ upto 40-45% CPU. Till now its below 45C even at higher CPU.

Though the temp are well in control, GPU is still on upper side, don't know why and thats too only during net surfing.

Quite happy to spend 1-1.5 hrs with maintenance today
happy19.gif

P.S: Special thanks to @s_anuj and @JuGGa

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Sep 16, 2011
New Delhi
Congrats
<
And your GPU temps are absolutely fine. In summers, the temps are nearly 5-10° higher than winter. So, don't worry about them until they cross 60 under idle conditions.
<