Camera Need help to choose video camera (handycam only)

Doremon

Adept
I wish to buy good camera mainly for video shooting of social functions, outings, traveling trips , vacations, home moments etc. Can shoot clearly in night also.

I am noob even in what to choose DLSR or Handycam...

Having Panasonic Lumia digital photo camera, I wish to add camera for video shooting. Pl help to choose. Budget- max 40k.

For video forget DSLR ,unless you wish to manual focus.

Get mirrorless cameras from Panasonic or Sony.The panasonic cameras like GX7 are really good but is about 10k more then your budget.
The Sony NEX cameras are also good,the yet be launched in india the A6000 is very very good for its low light performance beating the nikons and also has very fast AF and its video performance is again improved compared to most other similar priced cameras.

thanks striker10 and adder. A6000 indeed good choice being MILC-new tech. & sony always top in mind.

should i consider canon EOS 60D, suggested on other forum.

If you want a canon you should go with the 70D,
The 60D has really really slow AF in video mode . The lens again is going to be noisy unless you have a lens with USM motor.

If you prefer a DSLR you can also look at the Sony A58 SLT .Like the canon 70D it can do PDAF in videos and in Live view ,it also has a OLED evf which again comes handy if you are shooting videos in outdoor.It also takes excellent still photos and is priced cheap,further more due to the inbody stabilization any lens mounted on it gets stabilized.

Again for videos mirrorless cameras are superior.

OP, I am really little surprised to see the suggestions you got.
When you emphasis more on video recording, for your requirements its a BIG NO. CSC may have little edge over DSLR when it comes to video recording that doesn't mean they are the best option. The video recording feature in still cameras should be seen just as an add-on.
Don't get me wrong guys, It's a good for professionals/enthusiast who are looking for cheaper option but for generic home videos they are not recommended. You should check handycams.

well, all that to say, yes I repeat I am looking for Video Camera, still photography not at all targeting in this search.

Already have had use Lumix Panasonic for general photography and happy. Now, wish to add decent Video camera..

:rolleyes:No takers after 15 days & 111 views on TE!!
Guys pl enlighten me.:p

Only Handycam, No DSLR camera pl.
-Latest, compact, long battery back up, max.zoom
-Sony preferably. Budget - open (~35k)

I don't know much about handycams, else I would have suggested. I think google is your option. Good luck. :)

nac, thanks buddy. you saved me from DSLR camera by fingering me out towards handycam which is real suit for any video wisher.

well, nowadays quite difficult to get expert opinion on TEs !! Time to change ......

@Doremon

The reason you may not really get much replies is probably (IMO) because either most people have a P&S (like me) and use its video feature for casual videos. Or the people who know their gear have DSLRs. This is apart from the max audience who own a high end smartphone which is capable for 1080p videos use that for the videos they take.
I think those dedicated handycam is something people are not preferring. Those who have it had bought it long time ago.
I may be completely wrong here. I have never owned a handycam and for the above reasons, i would probably never buy it as well. But that is because i feel the videos i take with my phone/camera is pretty sufficient for my needs.

Kinda yes.. Its either the p&s playing as a handy cam when required or the smart phones. Whatever the case, you will find no one using handycams these days.

Back