Need help to convert a video, what settings should I use?

ithehappy

Adept
I use to record some game plays with Fraps and then convert it to a smaller size and upload it to YouTube. I have done that a lot of times. But I forgot what settings I used to use which gave me small sized files retaining a good quality. Now I have a 11.5 GB file of 6 mins duration, and I have tried converting it with three different software, Format Factory (which I used on previous occasions), Freemake Video Converter and Handbrake. While I will never use the Freemake again, as whatever I choose it gives a very bad quality output video, Format Factory and Handbrake do retain the quality but at the cost of a big size, around 350-500 mb. Now could someone tell me what settings should I use to retain the quality as best as possible with a small size around 200-250 mb? I am using AVC(H264) encoder with MP4 and 1280x720. If I use DivX or XviD encoder the quality degrades badly. The source file's resolution is 1680x1050, 30 fps. I can remember that previosuly when I was playing A.C (the last one), a 11 mins video was converted to some 225 mb maintaining a very good quality! What's happening now?
Thanks in advance.

in handbrake try constant quality (RF) about 22-25 (higher number = less quality and lower filesize )

you can go lower as for compression there is no doubt x264 will give you more

Try StaxRip http://staxmedia.sourceforge.net/ with 2-pass x264 film fast setting. keep video bitrate as 700 kbps
Thanks for that app. Installed but the UI seems a little complicated for me. I am not very good at this! Could you please tell me where do I find that settings exactly? I had to install two things when started it first time, some AviSynth and another thing....
in handbrake try constant quality (RF) about 22-25 (higher number = less quality and lower filesize )

you can go lower as for compression there is no doubt x264 will give you more
Actually I just selected the preset Android Tablet.

StaxRip.png

Click on the link on the right side that says x264 Quality Mode. That will give you multiple options. One of them will be 2-pass x264 film fast.
Next steps:
1) Click on the source link to browse to your video file
2) Change the target location (optional)
3) Change the video bitrate value to 700
4) Click on next
5) In the next jobs screen click on start
6) The encoding will start and finish in 10-15 minutes

staxrip06.png

Here's a guide: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/243-how-to-rip-dvd-to-h264

Thanks for your detailed response mate, but with that settings I got a 35 mb file, which was normally of horrible quality, then tried with high preset, got a 350 mb file, which to my eyes were nothing better than 260 mb file of Handmark. I think I will stick with Handmark.

Bitrate determines the quality, so try increasing the bitrate to 1500 and see. x264 will give you a better compression ratio (to file size) than XVID or DIVX. If two pass is not giving you good results go with constant quality, where the video bitrate will remain same throughout.

Back