Need help to fix incorrect D.O.B

re: Need help to fix incorrect D.O.B

umm i guess its different for diffrnt cities. in kolkata these officials in the passport office just donot accept application without b.c ... even the police came to my house recently for verification was also asking b.c.. i didnot argue why cannot a admit card. but sage point is keep a copy for handy. who knows when it becomes useful.

btw anyof you guys done ur u.i.d card ?

so what should i conclude finally because its creating confusions now??

Should i stick to my school DOB or should i stick to my real DOB.

I think my mom have Birth Certs for both DOB's. One is from my city and other is from another district.

Okay, let me clear things out. If you ever need a passport you need Birth Certificate(people born after 1988) and that date has to match with your SSC certificate/Driving Licence/Voter Id card/UDAI no/<insert any valid useless legal\identification document here>. So it is better that you approach all the appropriate authorities where your incorrect DOB is recorded and get it corrected.
Usually no one would inquire about DOB errors but after the passport condition being added and/or if you intend to take up govt/PSU jobs(in future) the difference will cause trouble.

Personal suggestion: get through the process of correcting DOB to your actual DOB, you are young and dont have multiple documents so its easier.

PS: Knowledge of incorrect DOB and not getting it corrected constitutes an act illegal under law. Not applicable at the moment but might come into play in future.

avi said:
I have recently got my passport. and I didn't attach my birth certificate with it cos it is lost somewhere :|

So IMO you should stick with 10th marks card and transfer certificate [TC].
avi said:
Well my point was it's not compulsory for passport
Well, AFAIK if there is any discrepancy in SSC certificate and BC,then passport department will ask you to saubmit the BC issued by municipality. and that is considered as ur DOB in passport.

Otherwise,they SSC will suffice.

@OP there are some court procedure which u can follow to get a fresh BC with the DOB as 94.(Consult ur lawyer)

A School/College Leaving certificate will be absolutely essential for getting admission for further education. You can not show a birth certificate in exchange for that.

If the birth certificate is compulsory for some application, then you have a problem. Generally, once you get a passport, you can use it everywhere as a proof of DOB and proof of identity(photo). If it is not possible to get a passport, then get this fixed before doing anything else.

Get either the School LC changed or a new birth certificate. The School LC will be easier since you already have a proper birth certificate as proof. Getting a new BC will be difficult due to the actual birth records and also illegal.

ramanujpatro said:
Well, AFAIK if there is any discrepancy in SSC certificate and BC,then passport department will ask you to saubmit the BC issued by municipality. and that is considered as ur DOB in passport.

Otherwise,they SSC will suffice.

@OP there are some court procedure which u can follow to get a fresh BC with the DOB as 94.(Consult ur lawyer)
WRONG! yes in caps to let u know.. ref to the condition provided in the Passport's website passport.gov.in. Read the last condition, which incidentally applicable to the OP here.

(b) Proof of Date of Birth (attach one of the following):

Birth certificate issued by a Municipal Authority or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths;

Date of birth certificate from the school last attended by the applicant or any other recognized educational institution; or an Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date/place of birth as per the specimen in ANNEXURE ‘A’ by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants.

N.B.: In the case of applicants born on or after 26.01.89, only Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or the Office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths is acceptable.

setuniket said:
Okay, let me clear things out. If you ever need a passport you need Birth Certificate(people born after 1988) and that date has to match with your SSC certificate/Driving Licence/Voter Id card/UDAI no/<insert any valid useless legal\identification document here>. So it is better that you approach all the appropriate authorities where your incorrect DOB is recorded and get it corrected.
Usually no one would inquire about DOB errors but after the passport condition being added and/or if you intend to take up govt/PSU jobs(in future) the difference will cause trouble.

Personal suggestion: get through the process of correcting DOB to your actual DOB, you are young and dont have multiple documents so its easier.

PS: Knowledge of incorrect DOB and not getting it corrected constitutes an act illegal under law. Not applicable at the moment but might come into play in future.
@bold he is correct :p
But the suggestion to change all DOBs and specially the one in SSC would be difficult.
Instead of changing all his DOBs to original one, he can follow court procedure and get a fresh BC with DOB as 94 and that would be simple to get. :eek:hyeah:

I would like to know what document(s) OP possess at this moment, from what I understand only SSC certificate. If there are more than two documents with incorrect DOB he should approach appropriate court or else if there are just 2-3 such documents he should instead approach appropriate authorities for correction. AFAIK every educational board has procedure for changes in DOB withing a fixed time (two years after end of schooling for CBSE) and every issued govt department has a correction/rectification form(at times to be supported by affidavit) for every document they issue.

The reason i would not recommend approaching court is that with govt deptt its cheaper and faster and yes better way IMO.

setuniket said:
WRONG! yes in caps to let u know.. ref to the condition provided in the Passport's website passport.gov.in. Read the last condition, which incidentally applicable to the OP here.
Well happened with my friend.(DOB -1987)

he had the same issue as that of OP and he had to produce BC.

He consulted a lawyer and got a fresh BC.

But for births after 26.1.1989,it seems BC is compulsory for PP. :)

In OP's case he already has genuine BC, all he needs to do is visit deptt for correction on the basis of real BC. At this moment I dont see any need to approach courts to get the document which he already possess.

setuniket said:
Seems I got lucky, cos I am born after 26.01.89 :bleh: So, apologizes, I gave wrong info.

^^

Made the mistake too. Was born way way before '89. So never needed a birth certificate when I applied.

Thats why I had to post here, was born after Jan 89 and had lost my birth certificate in Dad's transfer to Delhi(who requires them anyways I had School Cert/DL/PAN/Voter id, But NO rule means rule, no other document than BC). All of my family got their passport within month of application. Mine took almost 3 months for just to procure the Birth Certificate from Patna Municipal Corporation. Sum total 5 total months for a passport. :bomb:

Slightly related, I want to know what all documents you get for completing your schooling (CBSE 10th and 12th). It'll be great if some kind member can make a list.

eg.

10th Marksheet

10th Certificate

12th Marksheet

12th Provisional Certificate

etc.

letmein said:
Slightly related, I want to know what all documents you get for completing your schooling (CBSE 10th and 12th). It'll be great if some kind member can make a list.

eg.

10th Marksheet
10th Certificate
12th Marksheet
12th Provisional Certificate

etc.

Make that 12th Certificate. Transfer Certificate(if you change schools), character certificate..if you need one. or your college needs one.:p

Back