Graphic Cards Need help to Undervolt HD6850 GPU

@comp@ddict

no i didn't unlock unofficial overclocking

actually the AMD Vision Engine or the new CCC isn't even starting up when i click it on Start Menu , gotta re-install it

@CA50

no i haven't Underclocked just undervolted my GPU

The screenie shows the Max temps recorded while playing Crysis

the screenies are taken in Desktop so i had to enable "Max" temps from GPUz

My Card records 46c at idle and 72c Max on Crysis

actually the AMD Vision Engine or the new CCC isn't even starting up when i click it on Start Menu , gotta re-install it

oh shit, use driver sweeper, and reinstall(safe mode), last time this happened, I got my display screwed up. This usually happens after a problematic install, dunno why that happens though.

Your temps are great you know, mention the fan speed please. I get similar, if not higher temps using 54% fan speed(idle 49C- 33%, load in crysis 2, 73C- 54%)

I lost 2C as i recently hit a new low with my undervolt, I managed 1.049v to 1.037v and this is as low as I have seen anywhere on the net. I'm happy.

@CA50

when the clocks hit 100/150 in 2d mode or when i exit from a game they lower the temps to 46-47c

you can see the tiny red MAX beside the temps

when i am gaming the temps are 72

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

comp@ddict said:
oh shit, use driver sweeper, and reinstall(safe mode), last time this happened, I got my display screwed up. This usually happens after a problematic install, dunno why that happens though.

Your temps are great you know, mention the fan speed please. I get similar, if not higher temps using 54% fan speed(idle 49C- 33%, load in crysis 2, 73C- 54%)

I lost 2C as i recently hit a new low with my undervolt, I managed 1.049v to 1.037v and this is as low as I have seen anywhere on the net. I'm happy.

Hmm that might explain why the display got a little garbled up in Crysis after Catalyst 11.5a

is that serious?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

My GPU fan is controlled automatically from the MSI Afterburner

it shows 30% fan speed at idle resulting in about 46-47c temps

and 55-50% fan speeds at Crysis loads and about 72c (Peak) but normally staying at 68c or less when i checked the graph

but i am prouder for my CPU which idles at 35c and Maxes out at 54c

Comp@ddict , i gotta ask you

does undervolting in any way harm the GPU? (6850@1.03v)

'cause i was seeing some Grains/Dust in Mass Effect 2007 and also in VLC Media Player when i turned on GPU acceleration

is there any utility to check for artifacting or GPU malfunction?

'cause i was seeing some Grains/Dust in Mass Effect 2007 and also in VLC Media Player when i turned on GPU acceleration

VLC gives me grains only if the video source is botched.

Mass Effect 1 right? Well disable Catalyst AI and the grainyness will go(I was wondering the same thing about the grainy effect when I was playing Mass Effect).

Also, from in-game options, disable "Film Grain"

The negative effects are none. If the voltage is too low, the GPU will go unstable and games will crash, but unlike Overclocking, nothing will fry.

Okay i Uninstalled the 11.5a display driver and cleaned it using DriverCleaner3

and then re-installed 11.5 everything is fine now

but when i install the 11.5a hotfix over it it starts the problem again (i.e. CC doesn't open)

so i had to uninstall the whole driver setup again and revert to 11.5 again

does anyone have any idea how to use Radeon Bios Editor?

I just want to change the fan and voltage settings of the GPU at 2d and 3d mode

i want to set the 2d mode to 100/150@945mv and 3d mode to 775/1000@1030mv such that they're invoked automatically

There is a similar option at Combustor but it doesn't let the card fall below 500MHz

Currently i am using the default profile for idle mode as it allows the GPU to undervolt better @.945v @100/150

as compared to my modified profile which set the max voltage to 1.03v but caused the card to be stuck at 1.03v voltage at both idle and load states

meaning that i was having a hotter than stock card on idle as it was getting volts it shouldn't while getting cooler than stock card on load

does anyone have any idea how to use Radeon Bios Editor?

I just want to change the fan and voltage settings of the GPU at 2d and 3d mode

i want to set the 2d mode to 100/150@945mv and 3d mode to 775/1000@1030mv such that they're invoked automatically

There is a similar option at Combustor but it doesn't let the card fall below 500MHz

can I say that YOU ARE REALLY FRETTING with this undervolt thing.

and flash ur GPU, puff warranty gone.

All your efforts in finding the perfect temperature and stability is fine but please so keep in mind

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :p

Sometimes it leads to more trouble than what you originally intended...

funkysourav said:
but i am not flashing the GPU bios

i am just trying to modify/edit some values :)

You can edit all you want for experimenting. Use GPU-Z and grab the original BIOS.

But remember, the bios you grab is JUST A COPY, so what you'll be editing is the copy of the BIOS saved on your C/D: drive. In order to implement those settings in your GPU, you will have to undergo flashing.

Now mobile phone flashing is one thing I do and I am confident of, GPU flashing, err no, I recommend against it.

You can use RBE in conjunction with RivaTuner. What ever changes you made will be just to a text file. Test those settings using RivaTuner, which will temporarily apply the change, you can revert to stock. Once you feel you have the correct settings, you can flash it using RBE. If you are careful there should not be any issues.

Bumping up a really old thread here

my card has almost turned 3 years old and still going absolutely strong.
since the warranty runs out in a couple of months, I am getting a little adventurous on it.

So, I am trying to find a stable undervolt at stock clocks and a stable overclock at stock volts with temps less than 75C on Kombustor

Stock specifications
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage 1.150 Volts
Runs at 78-80C on Kombustor Burn In test
Runs at 70-73C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 18FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

Stock stable undervolt
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage o.970 Volts
Runs at 75-76C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Runs at 60-65C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 18FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

and now the glorious overclock
Stock Voltage Overclock Specs (not stable yet, need to find the kink)
Core Clock 940Mhz
Memory Clock 1240 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 80-83C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes (application crashes in around 4-6 minutes)
Runs at 68-74C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 24-25FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA.

I am using Sapphire Trixxx to set the clocks and volts, and Kombustor to stress test.

Back