Graphic Cards NEED HELP WITH AGP 8X on dying system

tech_suhail

Disciple
Hi All,

I have an old system which my lil brother is going to use from here on.

Its Got a full ATX Intel 865gbf mobo with 8x agp on it, a p4 2.4(HT) proccy and 2gb of ddr 400 corsair value ram.

Now, since he like's to game a bit i would wanna add an AGP card to it, can't afford a complete system upgrade.

Was reading through reviews and ATI X1950 PRO 512 MB seems to be fav for the max perfomance AGP graphic card.

Please suggest if this would be a correct choice to make this system go on for another 1-2 yrs, also please suggest a PSU upgrade current psu is kinda I-Ball crap stuff.

If somebody could give current prices for both the card a compatible psu it would be great.

I would be purchasing it from NP, Delhi. Need to get this sorted soon.

If somebody knows of a better card please feel free to suggest.

Thanks and awaiting responses.

is there any specific budget for the AGP CARD ??

also i hope u got a good power supply unit..as its a important factor for high-end graphics card...

then maybe the best u can get is 7950 GT ..its a high end 7 series card and will play almost all games smoothly...

its for around 12.8 k ..here..

sydras got it ..

also ..u gonna buy the card from london ?? then it might be cheaper...

if u cant spend 12-13..k

get some other 7 series AGP card that available..like a 7800 GS (i guess its only for AGP)..

or the 7600 GT AGP..(not sure if exists)

7600 GS 512 MB AGP..if available..

Why not switch to a PCIE sys, even the bare minimum AMD dual cores will outperform the system with an aging AGP card at a premium.

I would say that there is no need to upgrade to a PCIe based system yet, this can go for another 1-2 years easily with a card like X1950. But ofcourse the comp./card will have no resale value left at all after 1-2 years which again is not bothering at all, for me, that is. Contact the guys at www.xtremegx.com , they mite be able to help you with your purchase

Aces170 said:
^^ The reason I said is because of the premium AGP based cards are at present

mmmm....there is hardly a difference of 2-3k for the same card on different platform, according to me that does not justify spending atleast another 20k if you dont need it.

^^ 2-3k is a significant diff, and you dont need to spend 20k

Infact an elcheapo AMD config can be had for 5.5k which is much faster then his current config.

It just not make sense in buying an AGP card at present, for a stop gap soln a second hand 9800 pro or a 6600GT should suffice...

^^^make that 9k coz even his ram wont work on the new system. though not a bad suggestion but you will agree once you decide to upgrade you wont go for the most elcheapo solution and will certainly overspend to around 13-14k to get a decent config.

Aces170 said:
^^ 2-3k is a significant diff, and you dont need to spend 20k
Infact an elcheapo AMD config can be had for 5.5k which is much faster then his current config.

It just not make sense in buying an AGP card at present, for a stop gap soln a second hand 9800 pro or a 6600GT should suffice...

I got my 7950GT AGP by special request from katmandude. He ordered it for me from newegg. Very nice fellow.
No probs at all with the deal. The item was well packed and delivered to my doorstep. Nice card also. Single slot with low idle power reqs and molex power connector(unlike the power hungry dual slot radeons with PCI-E connectors for an AGP system :S ) And you have to watch your AGP system being bought for a throwaway price for no real good reason :no: .

I don't know if putting a 7 series card in a P4 system is advisable. The main reason is that P4 systems are not equipped with a decent power supply and a lot of the comments about problems with the 7950GT seem to be related to the card not being supplied with enough power.(That and the earlier batches being problematic. In any case, I've underclocked the card a bit to prevent any issues.)

Regarding switching to PCI-E, well if you have spent a bomb on a kickass AGP based system, then I feel it's not worth making the switch to PCI-E. You have to spend for a new proccy, mobo, RAM and gfx card, headache with the new PCI-E gfx power connector and 24 pin power supply etc.

My config can handle WinXP easily. Only problem was I was not able to play games like butter smooth with decent eye candy with my old card though it was quite decent.

Back