Linux Need help with BURG - Has anyone reconfigured BURG ?

Khimera

Adept
Has anyone installed BURG here?

New BURG themes derivated by SORA-CLEAN - Ubuntu Forums

I was using BURG with Sora until couple of days ago when my new 1.5 TB crashed because of some error(i am guessing it was reallocation error). Also, My internal cabling was terrible so i had to redo the entire Cabinet(not to mention dusting was also done after a long time)

Now, when i redid the cabling i forgot which hard disk was which one (I have 4 HDs). So effectively sata#1 HD became Sata#3 HD (i think :D) and so on which completely messed up my booth configuration. and also the sd(a)(b)(c)(d) changed because of it.

Burg screwed up and so did grub, but getting grub back was easy. But ever since, Burg never worked.I removed the packages, user Burg Manager to install it and still it never shows up. Now i have the dull grub2 to load my OSs without any eyecandy.

Has anybody faced this issue before?

Khimera said:
Now i have the dull grub2 to load my OSs without any eyecandy.

I've not tried BURG but you can edit your grub2 splash and make it eyecandy.

All you need to do it download splash file from Eyecandy for your GNOME-Desktop - GNOME-Look.org or google for more. After you have downloaded the file, copy the file (*.xpm.gz) to /boot/grub/

Then add the following line to your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file:

Code:
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/<filename>.xpm.gz

Replace <filename> with the name of the .xpm.gz file. Change the (hd1,0) if you have a different setup.

I personally liked this splash :- Blubuntu GRUB Splash. You have tons of splash available, just google and set the one you like.

Remember this is a slightly risky way of doing it, so proceed at your own risk. All the best!

Will try it. Managed to get burg up and running but a new update of grub and .24 kernel was rolled out just now which made it disappear again. I am not going to spend time on burg. Will use the grub2 splash instructions that you have provided. Thanks :)

So instead of partition names, just use UUID? I had seen this before, never bothered about it much. Looks like i have to pay more attention next time new things come up :)

Back