PC Peripherals Need help with External casing for HDD

China happened... And the lockdown before that. Seriously, everything that's not out of stock is crazy overpriced
some are minting profits... Check the OEM processor market. Tray/OEM processor price's are all up and comparable to Gold/Platinum.. if someone who would had invested prior to lockdown must be earning profits.

Again this depends on the people who are selling, some are keeping their regular profits while selling and some are asking exorbidently high prices.

I paid ~1500 for this case and today the price fell to 1300. Amazon seems to be having some fun playing games.
So much for compulsive buying. Will be thinking twice before ordering anything.
some are minting profits... Check the OEM processor market. Tray/OEM processor price's are all up and comparable to Gold/Platinum.. if someone who would had invested prior to lockdown must be earning profits.

Again this depends on the people who are selling, some are keeping their regular profits while selling and some are asking exorbidently high prices.
And the worst part. Amazon can't do anything about it. They will simply say prices controlled by sellers, we are just a platform.
This China issue is going to be a long drawn battle. I don't expect Amazon to be competitive anytime soon.

I paid ~1500 for this case and today the price fell to 1300. Amazon seems to be having some fun playing games.
So much for compulsive buying. Will be thinking twice before ordering anything.
And the worst part. Amazon can't do anything about it. They will simply say prices controlled by sellers, we are just a platform.
This China issue is going to be a long drawn battle. I don't expect Amazon to be competitive anytime soon.
I too got hit by this game but for good... was to buy a tv which costed 20k and while booking the price soared by 2k extra.
Went to flipkart and got 3 inch smaller tv for just 17.5k. I got the size and the price as well.... sometime accidents work in favors...

I too got hit by this game but for good... was to buy a tv which costed 20k and while booking the price soared by 2k extra.
Went to flipkart and got 3 inch smaller tv for just 17.5k. I got the size and the price as well.... sometime accidents work in favors...
Lol... I started Searching on Flipkart after reading your post. Totally forgot "Flipkart bhi hai." So biased towards Amazon..
Turned out all are 2.5 inch and that also pouch and not cases. Flipkart really needs to improve their search algorithm/engine.

This one makes more sense; will easily get attached to PC or Raspberry Pi and run OMV through it.

I ordered this recently from Amazon but unfortunately the damn thing didn't work. Refused to detect my drives. I tried it on 3 separate systems at home but no dice. Returned and refunded.

I would say HDD docks from Orico are better. They are available on Amazon.

So how do you guys maintain your external hard drives? Special pouches or bags? Tried searching non the net but found no concrete answer.
Any tips, suggestions would be helpful.

So how do you guys maintain your external hard drives? Special pouches or bags? Tried searching non the net but found no concrete answer.
Any tips, suggestions would be helpful.
I dont have any dedicated external hdds but only internal ones swapped in these external casings (the one I quoted you QuantumZERO)
And there's no need to store them in pouches or bags unless you are not going to use them for a longer period. Simply keep them in your drawer and forget. They are sturdy enough with they provided casing cover.
Adata have drives with rugged shell covering offering shock resistance as well.

I dont have any dedicated external hdds but only internal ones swapped in these external casings (the one I quoted you QuantumZERO)
And there's no need to store them in pouches or bags unless you are not going to use them for a longer period. Simply keep them in your drawer and forget. They are sturdy enough with they provided casing cover.
Adata have drives with rugged shell covering offering shock resistance as well.
What about the wires(adaptor and usb cables)? I mean I fear that keeping them folded for long term could impact internal connections rendering them useless. Though I try to keep them as straight and loose as possible to avoid tension on them but as I keep in plastic bag, it is not practical to keep them straight.

What about the wires(adaptor and usb cables)? I mean I fear that keeping them folded for long term could impact internal connections rendering them useless. Though I try to keep them as straight and loose as possible to avoid tension on them but as I keep in plastic bag, it is not practical to keep them straight.

Loose coils are not an issue. The main problem is sharp bends where the wire exits the adapter just after the strain relief and also just before it enters the pin. Big round coils like at least 6 inches in diameter.

Ordered one of these today...

PiBOX India, USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station (USB to SATA Docking Station) with 10TB+ Drive Support for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD- Supports SATA I, II, III and UASP ASM1153e- Top-Loading Design

Should get it on Monday and hopefully it isn't a DOA unit like the Storite dock I got. Will post back with updates. Have too many additional drives now (excluding the ones that are stuffed in my NAS). Too bad my Vantec dock doesn't work with drives north of 1TB.
Tried one, not happy with the performance - causes detection problems (some drives it doesn't detect at times - otherwise same drives get detected instantly) - Test it with the different drives you have (if you see the same problem - return it against the return window)

Tried one, not happy with the performance - causes detection problems (some drives it doesn't detect at times - otherwise same drives get detected instantly) - Test it with the different drives you have (if you see the same problem - return it against the return window)

Thank-you for sharing the info and the heads-up, appreciate it. I'll be sure to try it with my drives and if there is a problem I'll key in a refund request. Trouble is these days Amazon doesn't always give you the Refund option and instead leaves you with a Replacement option only.

I miss the good old Vantec. Such a good dock it was. Sad that Vantec doesn't come up with a well functioning 2TB+ dock now.

Thank-you for sharing the info and the heads-up, appreciate it. I'll be sure to try it with my drives and if there is a problem I'll key in a refund request. Trouble is these days Amazon doesn't always give you the Refund option and instead leaves you with a Replacement option only.

I miss the good old Vantec. Such a good dock it was. Sad that Vantec doesn't come up with a well functioning 2TB+ dock now.
When they offer replacement, by returning order twice it is automatically deemed that product is not upto standards and refund process is initiated. Yes, unfortunately you have to go through the replacement twice for a refund.
Source- Amazon CC.

Received the PiBox USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station from Amazon and tested it out over the last couple of days...

IMG-20200828-222347.jpg

IMG-20200828-222423.jpg

So far with the mix of drives I have tried (1TB and 2TB - WD Blue, Green and Seagate Barracuda) they all got detected without any hitches. Data copying and reading went without problems as well. The dock has decent build quality and the plastic doesn't feel cheap. Adapter it comes with is locally made and is 12V, 2A rated one. Hoping it holds.

Received the PiBox USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station from Amazon and tested it out over the last couple of days...

IMG-20200828-222347.jpg

IMG-20200828-222423.jpg

So far with the mix of drives I have tried (1TB and 2TB - WD Blue, Green and Seagate Barracuda) they all got detected without any hitches. Data copying and reading went without problems as well. The dock has decent build quality and the plastic doesn't feel cheap. Adapter it comes with is locally made and is 12V, 2A rated one. Hoping it holds.

Nice storage corner. But that hdd hard case is very M:i of you :cool:

p.s. you should be on r/DataHoarder

Back