Storage Solutions Need help with fixing an old Toshiba 2.5 inch HDD

nitin_g3

Adept
I have an old 1 TB Toshiba 2.5 inch 5400 rpm internal HDD. Model: MK5059GSXP
It failed in my laptop during 2015.

At the time I didn't try anything to fix it, but now thinking if there's any way I could get this functional or at least get my personal data recovered from it.

When connecting to system, there is no activity in it, no sound, no heating, nothing. completely dead.

What are my options here?
  1. Can I buy same brand (or same model if same brand doesn't work) used/new HDD and put the splatter in that?
  2. Take some professional help (if it's too expensive then will have to think before going with this solution)

Any help is appreciated. Attached pictures of front and back.

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_100439.jpg
    IMG_20210810_100439.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20210810_100450.jpg
    IMG_20210810_100450.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 78
I would not connect it to power again and take professional help to get it recovered if the data is important. The question you have to answer for yourself is whether the data is important enough to warrant the price. I wouldn't suggest you to recovering it on your own though (unless you're trying to learn the skill)

If a drive seems dead it's highly possible it's a PCB issue. Although if you didn't seem to care about the data since last 6 years I doubt it's important and not worth spending money on it.

it's highly possible it's a PCB issue
Since it's very hard to get the exact PCB or it's very expensive if I can find one online, Do you think I can make it work by getting same brand/model HDD and put the disk from my HDD to the new one?
you didn't seem to care about the data since last 6 years I doubt it's important
Yeah, it's kind of true, mostly I'll be doing this as a project, and if I can get it work, then getting my old picture back will be a bonus.

Plus platter and pcb level repairs/recovery need proper clean rooms and professionals to do it. If you open it at home, you risk further damaging it. Try getting some free quotes from data recovery services, see if the price is worth it.

Back