Need help with PC config and i7 950 price

pgrcrazy

Disciple
Need help with PC config

1. Q: What is your budget?
65k+ (max 80k)

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
I have a Compaq laptop that is terrible for today's gaming standards and I am going to pass it on to my parents.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. DVD+-RW
2. 250GB HDD
3. 7 button Logitech mouse (dont remember the model)
4. Keyboard (dont remember the model)

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU - Intel Core i7 950 (just waiting on the price cut here in India, anyone know when the retailers here in india are going to drop its price?? Several stores in the US/Europe have already shot it down to 299$ making the i7 930 obsolete). If not i might have to ask my friend to get it for me from the states. Dont want to buy the i7 930 now and then fume in anger when the i7 950 replaces it for the same price.
2. Motherboard - Gigabyte x58-ud3r
3. GPU - GTX 460 1Gb (MSI Cyclone)
4. PSU - Corsair 750TX (might add another gpu later down the road)
5. Monitor - 22" 1080p monitor (looking for models around 10k)
6. Case - cooler master 690 II (or any good case for around 5k)
7. RAM - 3x2gB corsair 1600
8. Cooler - Looking for a cpu cooler at around 4-4.5K

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Might just add another gtx460 down the road
2. 1TB HDD in a month or two
3. Decent keyboard in a month or two but otherwise the rest of it is pretty much finalized.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Doesn't matter but I'd like to buy everything from the same shop or online retailer.

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. Yes (but only HDD's or Cases)
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming
2. I also use a lot of sony vegas to render my captured videos.
3. photoshop

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Would avoid anything from palit, their products dont look like they last long.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. I play a lot of MMO's, building this rig for future mmo's like cataclysm, ffiv, star wars
2. RPG's like Fallout, oblivion, torchlight and future rpg's
3. Shooters (scifi)

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1920x1080

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

I think i have covered everything and I think i have finalized on the components?? Its just that i am unsure if the dealers here in india are going to drop the price of the i7 950 or not. Any config changes/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. :)

Other then the multiplier the 930 and 950 are the same chip ...the higher multiplier in the 950 will give you better overclocks at the same point .. other then that there is no difference, shows the premium intel was making with that chip. Anyways probably suggest a better motherboard then the one you have gone for the UD5A should be better with usb3 sata 3 etc. As far as the cpu cooler keep in mind what ram kit you are getting and then go for the noctua's they are simply the best air cooler out there... if you want to give water a try check the h50 ... the h70 might be slightly out your budget but its very good cooler probably better then the noctua or same lvl as it. For the moniter i use 2x Aoc 22" nice when you are grinding something in a mmo so you can probably use the browser / watch a movie at the same time. The aoc was relative cheaper moniter @ 8k with 1920x1080.

If you are a MMO player like me then you should be have more then enough power with this rig... but getting the second gtx 460 might be a good addition.

Anyway out of curiosity which mmo are you playing now ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

A noctua cooler is what i might be going for. Might go for a custom water cooled loop a bit later, only if i really need it (maybe around december).

WoW is what i play a lot but haven't played it in a while since i moved to india. Had a paladin and a priest (whisperwind server) and my guild group completed the plague wing before i moved back here. I just couldn't continue from here because of the lag and i had to give it up :(. Haven't really had the chance to play a mmo in the past 3 months but i am going to get back once i complete this rig :)

I was playing WoW on my laptop, used to get 10fps and 2fps when in dalaran LOL! Have no idea how i managed to get my pally and priest this far.

Will be getting into LOTRO this month once it goes free to play and this is going to bridge my gap until cata.

I think for your kind of Work the rig is sufficient even if you just put a i7 930, you will save cash + the thing that KOLGUY mentioned is not true the 930 offers much more control and advantages in the OC section

for RAM kit get the G Skill RIPJAWS, TRIDENT or PI series RAM 6 GB kit ( for triple channeling ) for Corsair go only for Dominator series

Air coolers I'm not very aware but I use the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + and it does a good job.

hope this solves your problems :), go to Golchha comps on S P Road, great place to get all your components. :) also what cabinet are you planning.

If ur getting the noctua u might wanna get something a little bigger than the cm-690... Cuz thats a huge cooler... i would recommend a HAF 922... maybe around 6.5k but its worth it... Also 24" monitors arent out of ur price range so u should consider them as well... :)

ALPHA17 said:
I think for your kind of Work the rig is sufficient even if you just put a i7 930, you will save cash + the thing that KOLGUY mentioned is not true the 930 offers much more control and advantages in the OC section

i am not sure what control and advantage you get with a i7 930 over a 950 ... i am using a 930 at the moment ... as i have said in the other post architecture wise the 930 and the 950 are the same its only the multipliers which are different the 950 has more i think it was 24 which for the same bclk clock should give more. Noctua is miles ahead of 212+

With most of the MMO's i have tried i didnt have much problems ... Guild wars, Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, Eve online... with all these i have not had much lag issues but most of them have EU servers or Asia-pacific servers.

I am not how long the price cut for the 950 is gonna take to come here ... even newegg didn't change the price immediately. Regarding the air cooler if you are getting the noctua do keep in mind the ram kit you are getting .... you will not be able to fit in some of the kits as they kinda overlap each other.. the dominator works but the gt needs slight mod work. With Gskill i think the trident and pi might be a bit high but check with the noctua website before you make the purchase.

I asked challenger, delta, oasis and amalgamation (sp?) in richie st and they have no idea about the price cut at all lol!

Ill wait until the 2nd week of september and if they are still clueless, i shall ask my friend to get the 950 from the states.

Also, anyone got any iccworld experiences? They're quoting 17K for the i7 950 (incl of shipping and customs). Not sure if they're reliable or not.

Re: Need help with PC config

Ok guys after a couple of days of extensive browsing and checking out sp road/ritchie street shops I have now decided to increase the budget and also add water cooling to the rig. I have already ordered the water cooling pieces from performance-pcs which has been shipped to my friend in the US and she will bring it next month. 120$ to ship to india straight from performance pcs, lol no thanks!

And once again the rigs purpose will be to run mmos, rpgs and also some video editing. I also want the rig to be a looker and that doesnt mean i want it to have wings sprouting out of it and the like :p By looks i am talking about a nice interior and sleek exterior and the reason i am avoiding the haf cases like a plague. I just cannot stand its exterior, its a wonderful case inside though. Wish the HAF-X came with the ATCS 840 exterior.

Here's the components i am looking at

CPU: i7 950 (have purchased from ashirvad already)

GPU: Sapphire HD5870 (i have ordered the xspc razor 5870 gpu block so i cant really change this).

PSU: Corsair 850HX

Case: Corsair 800D...currently out of stock at golchha, but he told me he should get some by the end of the week. Yesterday when i was there in the shop he told me he has it in stock and that i have to pay a day in advance so he can get it for me today (i hestitated a bit and didnt make any payment) and today the stocks all gone??...hmm

RAM: Corsair 6GB 1600MHz

HDD: 1TB Samsung 7200rpm (SSD's, maybe next year with better revisions)

Optical: DVD+-RW sata

Motherboard
: Ok, i need some suggestions on this. I have gotten a quote of Rs. 12500 for an eVGA x58 SLI3 mobo through iccworld. Anyone got any bad experiences with iccworld? Next up is the msi pro-e and i am not sure how good of a board it is (it is also the cheapest)? Can it push the i7 to 4ghz easy??

Monitor: BenQ G2420HD (I need one with hdmi for my 360/ps3 and i dont do anything on photoshop, so i think this monitor is fine?).

Some observations:
1. The corsair case is the best bet for water i think, i was actually thinking about the CM ATCS 840 but 15000k for a 175$ case is a no no (overpriced beyond belief). Lian-li a71f needs modding and i cant do it myself (i fear i might screw it up bad and i also dont trust the so called professionals near my house). Finding the corsair 800d is the problem atm >.<

2. Why cant all manufactures start using black PCB's for mobo's instead of ghastly blues, browns?? Makes me want to dig my eyes right out.

3. Of all the stores in sp road ashirvad was the most polite and helpful, will be getting most of the components from him tomorrow, even if hes Rs.100 or so expensive than the rest.

Please help me out on this. Any suggestion is much appreciated. I am pretty much exhausted from walking the street up and down getting quotes and tomorrow morning i am going to go and make the purchase.

Back