PC Peripherals Need help with upgrading my PC

kushall

Disciple
Finally I got hold of some money to upgrade my PC.
Can anyone tell me the best way to upgrade my current PC..

MB - Asus P5B Deluxe
CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6300
RAM - 1*2GB Transcend 533mhz
GPU - BIG 7600GS 256MB
SMPS - UMAX 550W
Monitor - Viewsonic VG1930wm
HDD - Seagate 250GB

I was wondering if it is enough if i upgrade only the GPU to a ATI HD4850, will my smps support this card?

I want to upgrade my PC within the price range of 15-17k, I'm a Gamer/Learning Animator (3dsmax).

The 4850 is a decent card. About your SMPS , don't know about the brand but you need to find the AMPS (A) on +12 v rail.

It's probably better to sell of all components except monitor and hdd and go for a new amd phenom 2 based system(p2 550be+biostar 790gxb) with ati 4850 and a decent psu like corsiar cx400.
If you want to keep your mobo, probably e7500+ati 4850+corsair cx400+corsair 2x2gb ddr2 800 would be a good option.
Whatever you choose, dont continue with your current psu if you intend to buy ati 4850, opt for something better.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys.

I think I'll go for your suggestion of e7500+ati 4850+corsair cx400+corsair 2x2gb ddr2 800 haraakiri, but for now I can't buy the e7500 because it goes out of my budget.

Can my e6300 use the full potential of a HD4850?

I'm sorry I forgot to mention my cabinet, I have a Zebronics Antibiotic, Will a HD4850 fit in it?

AFAIK E6300(I am assuming older one 1.8ghz) will bottleneck 4850. Probably you can opt for Intel E5300 for 3.3K and overclock it a bit. P5B should be able to take it. ATI cards are smaller in length compared to nvidia ones, it should fit antibiotic.

Just connected the parts that i bought.

Got a Sapphire HD4850 for 7500rs

Coolermaster 460W Extremepower - 2500rs

2*2gb Transcend - 2500

The card and the smps work fine but my system is only detecting 3gb of the ram according to dxdiag, Are the ram faulty?

chope that's cm extreme power plus, but I think you should not have saved 500 to get a not so good product. corsair cx 400 is much better. Anyway hope it works fine :)
You might have 32 bit os installed, to detect the whole 4gb install 64 bit os.
Another issue could be memory remapping disabled in bios. Just enable something similar in bios and it should detect 4gb. Your ram is not faulty.

kushall said:
Just connected the parts that i bought.
Got a Sapphire HD4850 for 7500rs
Coolermaster 460W Extremepower - 2500rs
2*2gb Transcend - 2500

The card and the smps work fine but my system is only detecting 3gb of the ram according to dxdiag, Are the ram faulty?

I didn't see any one recommending that PSU, what gives?
Anyway, the 3GB issue is OS related, its the maximum for a 32bit OS, if you upgrade to 64bit, you can use the remaining RAM, has nothing to do with the RAM sticks themselves.

Thanks for the help again guys.
Well.. I asked for the corsair cx 400 none of the shops had it :(
So i had to take his suggestion of what he has, suitable for the card.
I purchased these from SP road Bangalore.
I'll have to install Vista or Windows 7, I guess for the ram and DX10.

ragzdiablo said:
omg...cm extreme power is a bad choice my friend..

If possible try to return it back, as we have already heard a lot of horror stories related to cm extreme series. Dont want to here one more. But if it's extreme plus, some of my friends it's not great but works well. I am not sure.
And 3gb generally is os thing, but let us know what bios or your start screen shows. If that's showing 3gb you might need to enable memory mapping feature. Would be worded along those lines. I have seen p5w dh deluxe, and you need to do enable that in bios for it to recognoise all of 4gb. Might be the same with p5b. If bios shows 4gb then that's os problem for sure. Just install 64 bit os.

Buddy,

Suggest You the same Which I bought for my Animator fella from Arina and MaaC.

MB - Asus P5B Deluxe, Resale Value Rs2.5k max,

CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6300, Resale: Rs2k

RAM - 1*2GB Transcend 533mhz, Rs600

GPU - BIG 7600GS 256MB, Rs 1.2k

SMPS - UMAX 550W Rs 350-600

Monitor - Viewsonic VG1930wm Rs 4k

HDD - Seagate 250GB Rs 1.4k

This PC should Earn you approx 12k.

Adding your current Budget which is 17k, your total in hand cash should be 29k.

This money can get you only a good PC without Monitor. So I guess you should count 25k as an budget for PC and use the existing monitor.
What I gave to my friend

Back