Need help with Wireless Networking (wifi).

ravihpa

Disciple
Hi guys,

A very good friend of mine is interested in setting up a wireless network at his home (wifi). Now, his intentions are to connect 3 desktop PCs on different floors of his home. The building is owned by him, so that isn't gonna be an issue.

Can you guys recommend us some good quality wifi routers ? Like which one is better ? D-Link, NetGear, Linksys, or any other that you guys might know.

Please help us out.

Thanx a lot in advance. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

Go with a Linksys / Buffalo 802.11n if he has not invested in 802.11g wifi cards for the desktop. Or else go with 802.11g router from either one.

A friend on another forum recommended me this....Linksys WRT54G. He's using this for his setup on 3 floors himself :) I've also asked about wifi cards from him, and am waiting for a reply from his side :)

Any idea how much a WRT54G will cost ? and how much those wifi cards you just mentioned (for receiving the wifi connection on the desktop) cost ?

Thanx a lot man :) Much appreciated :)

@TS: The WRT54G2, which is the current version of the router, is indeed an excellent piece of hardware (I reserve my comments about the power adapter, though). My signal was full strength across all floors, and even if there was a slight drop in throughput at the extremes of the signal area, it was within reason. The router was kept on the third floor and without any regard for location, and we still got decent browsing speeds on the ground floor, a good 40 feet away through multiple brick walls. Current pricing should be around the 2.2K mark.

Keep in mind that the total throughput of a 54Mbps router is 54Mbps, so it is shared among all clients. Don't expect to be able to transfer large files at high speeds concurrently on all floors, but it should be fine from browsing or a bit of small file transfer tasks. With a 300Mbps setup you will get slightly better overall throughput, but depending on the router the range will probably not be quite as good as the Linksys...

Back