CPU/Mobo Need info regarding prices.

ashr

Skilled
my 6800GS just arrived today so now i gotta get myself a mobo that supports pci-e. i'm looking to buy a socket 754 mobo because i dont want to get a new proccy as well (current 2800+ runs only on s754). i found a few models which seem to have pci-e so it would be great if you guys could help me decide between them. i don't really want to spend much either when i'm not even upgrading to 939 socket.

1. Asus K8N4-E. i asked for the price today and the dealer said that it would cost more than 6k.
2. DFI NF4 Infinity. the pricelist on this website quotes around 4.5k
3. MSI K8N Neo3-F. dunno about the price. any input would be helpful.
4. MSI RS482M-IL. i heard of ati chipsets only recently and i've no clue if they're good or about the cost. again, some info is required.
5. MSI RS480M-IL. another ati chipset model which supports pci-e. i don't know the difference between this one and the one above.

suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

ashr said:
my 6800GS just arrived today so now i gotta get myself a mobo that supports pci-e. i'm looking to buy a socket 754 mobo because i dont want to get a new proccy as well (current 2800+ runs only on s754). i found a few models which seem to have pci-e so it would be great if you guys could help me decide between them. i don't really want to spend much either when i'm not even upgrading to 939 socket.

1. Asus K8N4-E. i asked for the price today and the dealer said that it would cost more than 6k.
2. DFI NF4 Infinity. the pricelist on this website quotes around 4.5k
3. MSI K8N Neo3-F. dunno about the price. any input would be helpful.
4. MSI RS482M-IL. i heard of ati chipsets only recently and i've no clue if they're good or about the cost. again, some info is required.
5. MSI RS480M-IL. another ati chipset model which supports pci-e. i don't know the difference between this one and the one above.

suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

Buy the DFI NF4X Infinity Motherboard (Socket 754) it's good.

ok i guess i'll go for the DFI. what would be the easiest way for me to get it? i live in chennai. i asked 2 or 3 local dealers here and they said they've never even heard of the brand. i visited www.theitdepot.com but they don't even have the address or email on the website.

^ thanks i just sent Freaky a pm. another thing is i read somewhere that DFI boards give people a lot of options and usually suit people who know a lot about overclocking and stuff. i've never tried that stuff before nor do i intend to. will i have any problems trying to configure the board initially or something?

Look in the overclocking section for detailed help. I am not too sure abt Infinty's bios options, but I guess it will support mild ocing, you could atleast clock your proccy to 2.0 ghz at 3000+ speeds.

Have you got your Infinity yet?

You can overclock from the BIOS.

Increase the HTT and DRAM Speed by 5 Hz at a time and keep testing for stability. Thats how we all do it. Well, i jumped my Pentium D straight to 3.2 Ghz first, coz i know theres no Luck factor :D.

Reduce the latency timings first, and the check what speeds are stable, btw try to maintain 1t command rate. Gives a significant boost in performance. In short till you try no one can tell, what speeds are stable, and what settings are best.

^^^^^Hope funky or eddy or freaky would teach me overclocking with DFI before that, maaan DRAM section in like greek and latin for me:p

ashr said:
ok i guess i'll go for the DFI. what would be the easiest way for me to get it? i live in chennai. i asked 2 or 3 local dealers here and they said they've never even heard of the brand.

IT Depot guys are distri's , so they do not deal directly with end-users like you and me. You could pay a visit to "Delta Peripherals" on Ritchie Street, they're the authorised dealers for DFI. The 4.5K is not inclusive of additional tax you'll have to pay, so another ~ 200 bucks is what your total price will come up to.

A strong reminder though, better ring them up well in advance if you're interested in the board so they'll have one ready at their shop , Saiyan waited for a good 3 ~ 4 hours before they finally got his board !

Rave said:
u might want to contact Freaky or Saiyan of this forum for the same and get a discount as well

There is no discount on the DFI NF4X Infinity board.

Aces170 said:
I am not too sure abt Infinty's bios options, but I guess it will support mild ocing

AFAIK , Internally the Infinity boards are pretty much on the same level of OC'ing as the Lanparty series. Just the flashy PCB, UV slots other frills are missing.

[OT]@Saiyan: Greek and Latin isnt your problem, Maths is ! LOL !

DRAM settings are the last of your worries .. figuring out Vcore voltage is your first problem :eek:hyeah:

On a serious note, I already told you.. for TwinMos memory only 4 settings is what you need to play with. Don't see why you're worried about the DRAM settings, focus on the basic settings first! :huh:

[/OT]

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i may be getting something else after all. trying to work out an exchange deal with a friend. should be done this weekend. will post here when i get it :)

Back