Laptops Need Lappy : 60-65K

Hi Guys

Need to buy a lappy for my gal before the end of this month...So here goes:

Budget : 60-65 K (Max)

Primary Usage : Basic Office work, Surfing, Movies & Music, etc.

Size :
Strictly b/w 14" & 15.4" (14" preffered)

Battery : 6-cell (Don't want the aesthetics to take a hit)

Components : The usual for a lappy with such a budget : DVD-Writer, USB, Firewire, min. 80GB HDD..You know..;)

Absolute Musts:

• Great Looks!! (Its for a girl..What'd you expect? :p )
  • Core Duo / Core 2 Duo
  • 1 Gig RAM (Am okay with adding an after-market 512 stick)
  • Integrated Web-Cam & Mic
  • Ulta Sharp/ Bright-View/ Vibrant-View Screen [Glossy Finish]

Some of the notebooks that I've found to my liking:

1. HP 2119TX~65K
  2. HP 2046 TU~52K
  3. HP 6189EA - Availability in India is unsure! :(
  4. Lenovo 3000 Y500 - 1~65K
  5. Lenovo 3000 Y500 - 2~69K

DELL (Inspiron) & Sony don't have an integrated Web-Cam, which as I mentioned above, is an absolute must.. :(
V. Imp. queries:

1. How much of a performance difference there is b/w a Core Duo 1.6 Ghz & a Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz? Is Core Duo "Vista" ready?
  2. For someone without any gaming requirements but who's an avid movie-watcher, is there much sense going in for a dedicated GPU (say a Nvidia Go7200) over the onboard GMA950?
  3. How much of a performance difference b/w a 533 and a 667 Mhz FSB?
Pls help me out with the queries as well as suggestions on a particular model..

TIA :)

or else get the dell xps m1210, 12" perfect for a girl and with 1gb ram for 63k odd from dell again, comes with a webcam too

^^Thanx for the reply fellows, but:

@Udit : DELL 6400 doesn't and can't have an integrated webcam, which as I mentioned, is a must. :(

@SoulFire: As mentioned above, the size needs to be strictly b/w 14" & 15.4"..XPS is something that I'm considering for myself however ;)

how about Apple MacBook white

Core Duo 2Ghz model under 66k

Core 2 Duo 2Ghz model under 72k

13.3" glossy screen, DL DVD-RW, 80GB HDD, 1GB 667Mhz RAM, USB, Firewire, isight camera & mic, wireless, bluetooth, etc..... standard.

Lenovo Y500 model [look for 77614AQ]

Got a Core duo processor, 945 gfx with webcam and all that funda, but with 512mb of memory, more than enough for normal work.

Should come for approx 56 grand.

EDIT - with that extra moolah you can upgrade your memory :p

For Vista, the minimum processor requirement is 800mhz, so Core Duo will run Vista.

If you are planning for onboard video, running vista might be a problem as you might miss out the aero effect.:bleh:

Thanx a ton guys for all your invaluable suggestions.. :)

@true_power : Great suggestion mate..Wasn't even considering Apple coz' u know they're so obscenely over-priced and the total cost of ownership is much more than others..But the particular model you referred to looks decent..Afterall a Mac is a Mac :)

@Shaky & CainOxr : Will go for the Core 2 Duo now as I learned that the 64-bit version of Vista will not run on Core Duo :(

O btw..while searching for more info, I read somewhere that GMA950 will be capable of handling the Aero effect (provided the ! gig of RAM ofcourse :p)..

@arnov : The Sony option's really HOT but for the lack of integrated cam.. :(

Btw..Great suggestion about the 6137tx..Reps added :) Any idea about its price?

Now it'll be either HP 6189>6137>2119.. :)

EDIT :- @arnov : You must spread some reputation around before giving it back to arnov!! Owe you one! ;)

Guys, still looking for answers to these queries:

1. How much of a performance difference there is b/w a Core Duo 1.6 Ghz & a Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz? Is Core Duo "Vista" ready?
  2. For someone without any gaming requirements but who's an avid movie-watcher, is there much sense going in for a dedicated GPU (say a Nvidia Go7200) over the onboard GMA950?
  3. How much of a performance difference b/w a 533 and a 667 Mhz FSB?

And more suggestions, if any, on the lappy..;)

AMD4Life said:
@true_power : Great suggestion mate..Wasn't even considering Apple coz' u know they're so obscenely over-priced and the total cost of ownership is much more than others..But the particular model you referred to looks decent..Afterall a Mac is a Mac :)

when compared to other Core 2 Duo laptops, MacBook's price is reasonable here. Otherwise :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: in india.

Guys..Can anyone pls help me find out the availability of HP Pavilion dv6137? I've inquired everywhere I know, including the whole of Nehru Place..No one has it :(

Help!

Ahhhh...Finally I get the chance to post back on this thread..
Waited almost a month to get what i wanted and as they say in Hindi - "Sabr ka phal meeta hota hai" (For the Hindi-challenged: "The fruit of patience is particularly sweet") ;)

Here it is: The HP Pavilion DV6137TX

Config:

Proccy: Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.6Ghz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 667Mhz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce Go7400
HDD: 120GB SATA
Screen: 15.4" Bright View
Optical Disk: 8X Dual-Layer DVD-Writer with LightScribe
In-built 1.3MP camera
OS: XP Media Center with upgrade to Vista Home Premium for Rs. 800/- only
Free Gift: Happauge TV-Tuner Card (USB)

For complete details, check here: HP Pavilion dv6137TX Entertainment Notebook PC specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

===========
Damage: 63.5K
Review: Will have to wait. Its my girl's lappy..Will not ask for it so soon ;)
===========

And now the Pics: :cool2:

Closed:

Open/Front:

The Sides:

One-lil Benchie:;)

....And as the Porky Pig would say.."Th-th-th-that's all folks!" :D

^^Standard 1-yr warranty

@Hotstuff: Naah mate..Neither have the need nor the dough for it currently..Will get one in May, however..Most prolly an XPS ;)

Back