Need Laptop Suggestions| MacBook or HP or Dell

var89

Adept
Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop. Considerations from top to bottom are

• Great Looking
  • Powerful - Atleast i5 or i7 processor
  • Good Battery Backup - upwards of 4 hours
  • Not very bulky - anything over 8 pounds is a no no.
  • Gaming is not a priority - I hardly play games
  • Good Screen - Glossy or Matte does not matter, it shud be crisp and clear
  • Keyboard and touchpad shud b great to work.

For this I had MacBook Pro 15 inch and HP series in mind. Dell is pretty ordinary in Looks
Guys any suggestions.

@OP: what applications are you planning to use on the laptop - this would primarily decide the platform - Mac or Windows. Besides, HP has a pretty bad customer support in India nowhere in comparison to the ones offered by Dell or Apple.

.:napster:. said:
Go for MB Pro if you are an Apple fanboi, else get the new HP Envy 14" / 15" :)
LOL so none other than the Apple fanbois deserve one?

Desecrator said:
@OP: what applications are you planning to use on the laptop - this would primarily decide the platform - Mac or Windows. Besides, HP has a pretty bad customer support in India nowhere in comparison to the ones offered by Dell or Apple.
Well I intend to run basic mail applications as well as an ERP software stack. Also would like to watch movies on it.

no apple cause few of 3d games can work on apple laptop

so i recommend ailleware or dell studio xps 16 which it is under indian warranty or u can get from usa asus or msi with i7 plus ati 5850 card :)

var89 said:
Well I intend to run basic mail applications as well as an ERP software stack. Also would like to watch movies on it.
I'm not exactly sure of the ERP software pack being compatible with the recent Mac OSs. Maybe others can comment on that but there should be no problems watching a movie, listening to music or editing photos etc. The supplied iLife suite should take care of that. :)

Besides, if you plan to take one from abroad, say the US or from one of the south-east Asian countries like Malaysia or Singapore, you should get a good bargain for an Apple laptop. Apple honors worldwide warranty as well. :D

Head to a Croma outlet and check out the new Apple MBP 13".

Desecrator said:
I'm not exactly sure of the ERP software pack being compatible with the recent Mac OSs. Maybe others can comment on that but there should be no problems watching a movie, listening to music or editing photos etc. The supplied iLife suite should take care of that. :)

Besides, if you plan to take one from abroad, say the US or from one of the south-east Asian countries like Malaysia or Singapore, you should get a good bargain for an Apple laptop. Apple honors worldwide warranty as well. :D

Well I'm getting a little used one for less than 80k.....15 inch....what do u say.....
or buying outright is better...1799$ for a new one..

i will suggest you to go for a new one instead of buying used... Also first take into consideration all the apps u will be running and check whether all ur task will be done in MAC... then only buy one... Else go wid Dell XPS....

* Great Looking = macbook by a long way

* Powerful - Atleast i5 or i7 processor = all are similar

* Good Battery Backup - upwards of 4 hours = macbook clearly

* Not very bulky - anything over 8 pounds is a no no. = all are similar

* Gaming is not a priority - I hardly play games = macbook cant game either

* Good Screen - Glossy or Matte does not matter, it shud be crisp and clear = all are similar

* Keyboard and touchpad shud b great to work. = i love my mcabook because of these

macbook it is

var89 said:
Well I'm getting a little used one for less than 80k.....15 inch....what do u say.....

or buying outright is better...1799$ for a new one..
Is that the one put up in the market section? Seems to be a good deal indeed. Grab it if you can. But I'd say, see and experience a 15"er before you commit to one. For a unibody MBP, it's slightly bulky. :p

nukeu666 said:
* Great Looking = macbook by a long way

* Powerful - Atleast i5 or i7 processor = all are similar

* Good Battery Backup - upwards of 4 hours = macbook clearly

* Not very bulky - anything over 8 pounds is a no no. = all are similar

* Gaming is not a priority - I hardly play games = macbook cant game either

* Good Screen - Glossy or Matte does not matter, it shud be crisp and clear = all are similar

* Keyboard and touchpad shud b great to work. = i love my mcabook because of these

macbook it is

Hey thanks for ur suggestion....so u use a mac...the h/w macbook has almost every laptop has....but i just don't figure out why are they almost 2 times expensive??...

btw do u ever feel u have paid too much of a premium for macbook.
Desecrator said:
Is that the one put up in the market section? Seems to be a good deal indeed. Grab it if you can. But I'd say, see and experience a 15"er before you commit to one. For a unibody MBP, it's slightly bulky. :p

yes exactly....that is the one...Ok. then i'll check out in store....but 13 is too small for me..

after using a mbp for a month, i would say its well worth the higher cost

only change i would have liked is for it to have a matte screen rather than glossy

nukeu666 said:
after using a mbp for a month, i would say its well worth the higher cost

only change i would have liked is for it to have a matte screen rather than glossy
Thats great...i dont know the laptop i'm interested in has matte or glossy screen...I'll check.

Back