Need new CPU/RAM/Mobo for gaming. Maybe a new monitor too.

My current motherboard is dead and it's time again for an upgrade.

Aside from this, I might also be getting a new monitor.

I really want a 20" as I am not comfortable using 22" and above. But I may cave in if someone makes a good enough case (gaming at slightly higher resolutions not being it
<
).

Q: What is your budget?

15-17k for CPU + RAM + Mobo

5-7k for the monitor

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

GPU - Zotac 9800GT 512MB

PSU - Corsair VX450

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel i5 2400 OR Intel i5 2500K if the extra 1.5k is really worth it

RAM - the best 4GB module within my budget

Mobo - Intel DH67BL

Monitor - a good 20" with decent view angles and no major backlight bleeding issues that I can use for years and years

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

GPU - Probably going to get a GTS450 or HD6770

PSU - Anything that is required to run it perfectly at stock speeds

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Ahmedabad

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Gaming

Browsing

Watching HD movies

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1600x900 and above

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks in advance
<

I realize I am clueless about everything besides the CPU, but hey that's what this thread is for.

^^ Intel Core i3 2100 OR Core i5 2400 ~ 6200/- OR 10500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 1 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x 1 1600MHz module ~ 1750/-

Dell IN2030M ~ 6200/- [LED back-lit 20" monitor, capable of 720p, DVI-out and matte finish so no irritating reflections] OR

BenQ G2220HD ~ 7200/- [LED back-lit 21.5" monitor, full HD support + DVI-out] -- if someone manages to convince you to buy a larger screen size by the BenQ model at your discretion.

The COre i5 2500k I will not recommend you because the k denotes that processor is unlocked and can be over-clocked which you are not interested in, also to over-clock the CPU you'll need to invest in a P67 / Z68 chipset based motherboard which will drive your costs up again.

The only useful thing you are forfeiting with the i5 2500k is the slightly better IGP unit on die, but the Intel HD 2000 will drive Windows 7 fine, incase your graphics card decides to kick the bucket too.

Also if you go for a Core i5 2400, you'll get a proper quad-core which will serve you much better over the Core i3 model which has issues in heavy CPU utilization applications due to dual-core + Hyper Threading design [though gaming performance is pretty much the same]. http://www.anandtech...duct/363?vs=289

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

Thanks for the quick reply and for that CPU comparison page.

I compared the i5 2400 and i5 2500k and the difference in gaming is barely 5-10fps. So not worth the extra cash I guess.

I am not too keen on getting the i3 2100 as I don't upgrade often and so investing in a good CPU makes more sense.

Moving on to motherboards, wouldn't the DH67CL be better than the DH67BL as it will allow the RAMs to run at their maximum 1600Mhz as opposed to just 1333Mhz?

Lastly, what's the verdict on Corsair memory vs GSkill?

Is it simply down to availability or is one product better than the other in any way?

^^ No you won't need to buy any specific motherboard for placing 1600MHz RAM, read here --> http://www.anandtech...g-the-best-ddr3.

Intel H67 chipset flow chart --

H67-blockdiagram-small.png

Infact even the P67 doesn't support 1600MHz modules --

p67_block_diagram.gif

Memory you can buy at your discretion, both brands are reputed, though Corsair has a more active sales support system. G.Skill is known to use better quality chips [this all speculation and I have no back-up data per se]

I will vote whichever is cheaper to acquire and catches your fancy, but that one.

Hope this clears up your doubts Sire. Cheers!!

Oh, so what's the point of spending an extra 500 bucks on 1600Mhz?

I was under the impression that the DH67CL supported memory speeds of 1600MHz.

Also if both motherboards are going to underclock the memory to 1333MHz, isn't it better to get Corsair Value modules?

Judging from that link you posted, there's barely any performance difference anyway except in the Physx test.

Lastly, will any motherboard that will allow the memory to run at 1600MHz fit within my budget?

Thanks again for the replies.

^^ See the point is Sire that Intel Sandy-Bridge chips don't support 1600MHz modules, no chipset no model will allow you to run RAM at 1600MHz by default you will need to over-clock your system to run the RAM @1600 MHz.

So really it is your discretion what RAM modules you want to purchase, I still say get the 1600MHz variety just because it is no longer a premium to buy RAM, 4GB --> 1150/- OR 1650/- [depending on speed and quality], also ValueRAM modules aren't exactly tweaker friendly so with the 1600MHz modules [Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS] you can tweak the settings and improve the latency, over-volt it a little and run them @1600MHz on a said board that officially doesn't support speeds in excess of 1333MHz.

Hope this clarifies my stand. Cheers!!

^^ Yep that is another plus point, heat spreaders and they come in a multitude of colors and sizes we are spoiled for choices Sire.

I am not aware of any current ValueRAM offerings that don heatspreaders, though I have a pair of G.Skill RIPJAWS clocked @1333MHz powering my AMD RIG.

True the Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/- OR MSi H67MA-E35 ~ 4800/- http://www.msi.com/p...A-E35--B3-.html [the only flaw with the MSi board is that it has two DIMM slots] are the only motherboards in your budget Sire, if you are okay spending ~7500/- OR so on your motherboard you can go with this -->

ASUS P8H67-M EVO ~ 7300/- http://in.asus.com/M...155/P8H67M_EVO/ OR

ASUS P8H67-V ~ no idea on pricing http://in.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67V/

if you want a full ATX H67 motherboard, you can look at the Intel DH67-CL ~ 5900/- -- http://ark.intel.com/products/50101/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH67CL, you can get the board here http://www.theitwares.com/intel-dh67cl-1155-intel-hdmi-sata-6gbs-intel-motherboard-p-1959.html

Hope this helps, Sire.

Thanks a lot Alpha17.

I'll get a final quote from my supplier and post here incase there are any pricing discrepancies.

Have some virtual +rep in the meantime. I can't find where the rep button was moved to after the site overhaul
<

^^ #saumilsingh The Rep and like system has been folded into one Sire, so just click Like if you feel I've done a decent piece. Cheers!!

#myth OP is not really keen on over-clocking support.

But thanks for the link, seems to be a decent buy, the only snag is BioSTAR hasn't really good a good support system in India.

A Z68 board coming in at the price point of a H67 board with a lot of features is too hard to ignore. My 2 Biostar boards haven't conked yet, considering one is about 9.5 years old and the other 4, I don't think most people would need to go in for RMA.

Thanks for the heads up but it's not really in the same price range as it's 2k costlier than the DH67 board which imo is quite a bit as far as motherboards are concerned. Specially since I don't plan to overclock anything in my rig.

Here are the prices I managed to get from my supplier:

i5 2400 + Intel DH67BL : 16400/-

Corsair 4GB DD3 ValueRAM : 1400/-

Do these seem fair? For some reason he refused to quote me individual prices on CPU and mobo.

Going with Value memory modules as I have to get some other stuff as well.

PS: +repped Alpha17

Back