Budget 0-20k Need parts suggestions, want to gift a PC to a cancer warrior friend

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I have a close friend from college, who in lockdown, started his own educational YT Channel.
1 month into it, he was diagnosed with Lymphoma.
He is almost done with his chemotherapy, and his birthday is in May.
I want to gift him a gaming/editing PC.
Building a gaming PC was his dream, he just started his job but as we all know Cancer just sucks every penny off your and your family's money. I can't help him financially because I know he and his family won't accept it.

Here are some of the parts that I have collected so far.
EVGA 980TI Classified
Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze PSU.
WD Black SN750 250GB (I won this in AMD x Digit Modsquad PC Build Showoff competition)
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (Again repurposing)
4 TB WD Purple HDD for archival storage (Had it lying around from uncle's CCTV setup)
Asus Prime B450M-A (Reusing from my PC, I upgraded to B550 Tomahawk)

What monitor, processor, case should I go with? OK with used ones in top condition with warranty left.
I am inclined towards either a 2700/2700X or 3600. Would a 1600/1700 be enough? I think with the 980TI he should be able to play some AAA games, even if he has to crank down some settings.

I save a few % from my salary (only 6 months into my first job) because working from hometown so no rent/food expenses.
Please suggest value for money components for the build, mainly the processor and the monitor.
I am open to switching platforms, he won't be OC'ing the processor so I thought the board will be fine.

A 3600 and a 4650G has a price difference of 1K as I can see online. Performance my be around 5% more than the 4650G
This will give you an option during debugging the GPU or the PSU. This was suggestion as you were already looking at the 3600.
Find a 3300x (if you can) for just as good gaming performance and save some mula in the process.

for video editing, I do suggest the 2700x over the 3300x (more cores and more threads), but if gaming is a necessity then I suggest the 3600(you be able to find them used in the next month or so with AMD chips starting to be widely available now).

Case buy in the last with the budget left as the internal parts are more relevant here and simply sacrificing performance for looks is not a wise thing.

Monitor check for a used IPS panel only(since it is primarily for editing) in your local OLX listings. You should be able to find one for 6-7K.

Back