OC & Modding Need recommendations for a heatsink

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I've got a Biostar TP35D2-A7 mobo, and I'm not sure how much space it has around it to house the gargantuan heatsinks i see these days. I do, however, want to bring home a half decent cooler for the e8200 so i can tinker around with it.

Im picking it up from newegg and my budget is around $30 (after rebates if any). Was interested in the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro since it seemed a little smaller than the Sunbeam CCF (which is completely droolworthy, btw) even though i have no frame of reference to even compare them.

If any of you have worked with the Biostar TP35D2-A7's layout I would appreciate it if you would let me know if either of these heatsinks would fit in it. Also, any other suggestions are most welcome.

24pin atx connector on that board seems very close to the cpu socket to allow easy installation of huge HSF...

but yet it seems very much possible to install CCF on that board.

Thanks for the info madnav.

@sidhu: I checked out the xigmatek on TE and online, and it seems comparable with the CCF. Both of them, however, dont come with retention brackets. All the compatible xigmatek and thermaltake brackets are out of stock on newegg. Do you know of any other sources?

Also, there seems to be some ppl saying the brackets arent necessary (gunman i think). Whats your take on that?

Another thing is, would you recommend the thermal goop that comes with the xigmatek, or anything else in particular?

Grease Monk said:
Thanks for the info madnav.

@sidhu: I checked out the xigmatek on TE and online, and it seems comparable with the CCF. Both of them, however, dont come with retention brackets. All the compatible xigmatek and thermaltake brackets are out of stock on newegg. Do you know of any other sources?

Also, there seems to be some ppl saying the brackets arent necessary (gunman i think). Whats your take on that?

Another thing is, would you recommend the thermal goop that comes with the xigmatek, or anything else in particular?

I've a S1283. It IS a good heatsink needless to say. :p

Miles ahead of the TRU120A/TRUE I'd previously used comparing the performance/weight. (The TRUE Black is a POS except for the black nickel plating :| Dont know how corrosion resistant it is.)

This thing's much lighter and performs better. Some say Quads deserve a TRUE or a CCF. The S1283 has 3 heatpipes and does the job for C2Ds.

I did not find the necessity of a retention bracket although I did want one before I struck the deal with this HS. Thing's with heavy heatsinks, a bracket is a must else the holding force is applied on the motherboard by the push-pins and during the course of time, the motherboard may bend but my present one hasn't (yet!!! Using it since August although the Asus P5K Delx I'd before did with the TRUE and the retention bracket :|).

I haven't used the TIM that came with the S1283 so cant comment but to be on the safer side, get a Tuniq TX2/AC MX2. :)

Oh and btw dual fan setups're possible with the S1283. :D

thanks gunnz! i think ill just pick up the Xigmatek for now, and source the bracket later through KMD or one of our dealers if i need to.

Also, since you actually own the HS, whats your take on its space requirements? I have no clue what cabby i have back at home.

Grease Monk said:
thanks gunnz! i think ill just pick up the Xigmatek for now, and source the bracket later through KMD or one of our dealers if i need to.

Also, since you actually own the HS, whats your take on its space requirements? I have no clue what cabby i have back at home.

Ummm I never bothered to check. Fits on most decent/recent ones. :lol:

Not as tall as TRUE/CCF IIRC. Let me know what cabinet's yours.

We shall pick up the brackets later on. Cant trust these nasty li'l push-pins. :p

i bought CCF locally for 2k at prime.

it includes:-

CCF Heatsink

120mm Fan wid retension clips

LGA775 bracket

TX-2 paste

Fan controller

instructions manual

that all i remember.

check this Link ...will give u idea abt dimentions.

Even I'd vouch for the CCF. The CCF was not released when I'd purchased the S1283.

The TX2 that comes with it is a blessing in disguise. A dual fan setup is impossible though. Not that u'll need it. :p

And careful with the blades of the fan thats bundled with the CCF!!! Its razor sharp. :)

you can get the CCF but make sure it fits in your cabby :)

my freezer 7 pro fits without issues but one point that i can make is that routing the 24pin and 4pin wires will be trouble after installing a huge heatsink

wow. lol. weird. First time im ever seeing spam posts that are actually relevant to the thread and not just a 'this is going to be great' kind of post.

apollyon said:
^^hes not serious, the #@!$!@ is just spamming to increase his post count to mebbe post in the market?

relax b**ch, the guys just lookin for some reassurance. :p

@Grease Monk - will be needing advice from you soon regarding seating the monster you bought, and congrats on the buy. :)

mr47 said:
@Grease Monk - will be needing advice from you soon regarding seating the monster you bought, and congrats on the buy. :)
sure thing. im pretty confident about it fitting on my mobo even with the double-tall pi blacks. my 4 year old cabby, however, is a different issue :p Ill be putting it all together after the 2nd, so let me know then.

I'll be placing an order for CCF soon, Could using the stock bracket by any chance cause my mobo to bend since CCF is freakin monster..?

Are there any separate bolt thru brackets available for the CCF?

Back