Budget 41-50k Need recommendations: Here is a config I have zeroed on. Also recommend a good seller in Nehru place

tsk1979

Adept
Purpose of this rig is for photo processing (RAWTherapee, Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp) + Video processing(Avidemux,Avisynth,H.264 encoding, Xvid encoding).
All these processes are CPU intensive. The CPU matters most.
I will be doing "some" gaming. So forgoing a graphics card for now(unless I can find a DDR5 for under 5-6K)
Other requirements : < 400W power consumption
  1. What is your budget?
    • 50K approx
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - i7 4790 or i5 4690
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard Such that 20K for Processor+motherboard
    • GPU - Skipping for now
    • PSU - Something basic will do
    • RAM 8-12GB
    • SSD 128GB
    • HDD 4TB
    • UPS 500W power consumption max
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Ram upgrade possible
    2. May add GFX card
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Nehru Place Delhi
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
    • Photo Processing
    • Video Rendering
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • MSI ASUS I like
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x720
    2. Desktop - Full HD 1080P
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • NOPE
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8.1 64bit

Last edited:
Fixed my post

I am torn between i7 and i5
But will go for i5 since I want processor + mobo for 20K

How much does 12GB of ram cost. Can I have DDR4 8GB for 5000-6000?
  • CPU - Intel Core i5 4440 -11000,
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • PSU - Corsair CX500 -3500,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4GB) 1600Mhz -5400,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB -6500,
  • HDD - WD Caviar RED 4TB -13700,
  • UPS - CyberPower BU-1000 UPS -4000.
  • TOTAL -59,600.

• CPU - Intel Core i5 4440 -11000,
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • PSU - Corsair CX500 -3500,
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4GB) 1600Mhz -5400,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB -6500,
  • HDD - WD Caviar RED 4TB -13700,
  • UPS - CyberPower BU-1000 UPS -4000.
  • TOTAL -59,600.
Thanks I was looking at 4570, but thats like just a little bit faster(8-10%). I guess if I can get that for less than 10% higher price, it makes sense, otherwise no.
PSU and cabinet : Do I need to go for branded stuff? I do not mind looks at all
HDD : Seagate at 11000 , any issues?
UPS : I want a 500W UPS, not a 1000W (generator backup trips above 500W)

Thanks I was looking at 4570, but thats like just a little bit faster(8-10%). I guess if I can get that for less than 10% higher price, it makes sense, otherwise no.
PSU and cabinet : Do I need to go for branded stuff? I do not mind looks at all
UPS : I want a 500W UPS, not a 1000W (generator backup trips above 500W)
PSU : You need to go with best available PSU's like Corsair , Antec, Seasonic etc because if this burns it will take the whole system with it.
Cabinet : You can go with any local ones also.
HDD : Seagate ones are not that reliable where as WD are quality oriented HDD's.
UPS : Your PC cannot stay uninterrupted by a 500VA UPS you need at least 1000VA UPS.

I wouldn't suggest this much pricey components for 24x7 operation.
It will degrade the performance over the time, plus your Data isn't safe. Split the budget for 4tb HDD and accommodate
1. RPI 2 as download rig and file server.
2. 1tb+ 2tb for RPI 2 and PC

With RPI 2 you have a flexibility of running download rig and HTPC, with just a swap of micro SD card.

Motherboard: Probably best to avoid Gigabyte with their board revision fiasco. You can get an Asus B85 equivalent board like the B85M-G.

SSD: I have reservations about recommending TLC NAND based SSDs like the Samsung Evo lineup, especially since Samsung has been unable to resolve the 840 Evo issues. Unfortunately there seem to be a shortage of good MLC NAND based drives in the budget spectrum. PrimeABGB's site OnlySSD.com has some LiteON S900 drives listed, which are using Marvell controllers + Toshiba MLC NAND, which should be fine. Of course these are budget drives, so the performance will not be class topping.

HDD : Seagate ones are not that reliable where as WD are quality oriented HDD's.
Backblaze recently shared some results of HDD reliability in their labs, and they recommended the 4TB Seagate (ST4000DM000) :- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
To be fair, they didn't have too many WD Red drives for comparison.

UPSs rated in VA usually have a power factor of 0.6 accounted into the rating, so for example a 500VA UPS will realistically manage only a 300W load. Then again your system looks light without any power hungry dedicated GPU, so its quite possible that your system could peak at only 250W. In any case a 1000VA UPS will not draw any more power than a 500VA UPS, since thats entirely down to your system load.

I need the disk storage because for timelapse rendering etc., one movie can be 200-300GB total data + RAWs etc.,
Of course, later I can free that, delete that and stuff stuff.

So I am planning to use 4TB. I can probably go down to 3TB if you think that is more reliable or something?

Also, I was checking out Xeons. Xeon = i7 - gpu. I can go in for a dedicated gpu, and go for a Xeon instead of i5. What say? 1230 v3 seems good, what is the going price for this. USA price is similar to i5 4650 etc.,[DOUBLEPOST=1428914294][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, any Nehru place sellers you can recommend :)

Last edited:
So I am planning to use 4TB. I can probably go down to 3TB if you think that is more reliable or something?
Current 3TB drives are not at all reliable judging from the Backblaze article. 4TB drives seem to be doing much better.

The Xeons are a good bet if you get them for a good price. In India atleast the prices have increased to the point where they are as much as an i7 : https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Intel+Xeon+E3-1231+V3+3.40+GHz+Processor_C30P23322.html[DOUBLEPOST=1429185310][/DOUBLEPOST]
BTW, any Nehru place sellers you can recommend :)
Quoting iPwnz from another thread :-
I also went to Nehru Place yesterday and dropped by SMC and Empire. Avoid Cost 2 Cost at ALL cost! No matter at how cheap you get the components for. When you go to NP there are three shops which you should always visit: SMC, CE and Vipin.

Last edited:
So I built my system. And guess what, the laws of the universe could not be bent, and I ended up spending 70K

740 DDR5 (2GB)
16GB RAM
3TB HDD 128GB INTEL SSD
Xeon 1231v3 processor
Coolermaster cabinet and PSU
Elnova UPS
And a DELL IPS full HD 21" monitor

Running Windows 10. Runs like a dream. I can render videos and temps never cross 60 degree C(my laptop burns at 75 degree C, and the Qosmio is no slouch). About 8-10X faster in timelapse video rendering.

Back