Budget 41-50k Need server for small office

Tom Sawyerer

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • HP ProLiant ML110 G5
    • With Intel Xeon CPU 3065 @ 2.33GHz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors
    • With 512MB RAM
    • With 150MB HDD
    • With monitor, mouse and keyboard
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor, mouse and keyboard
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Thought of HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 Server
    • With Intel® Xeon® E3-1200v2 product family
    • With 8GB RAM
    • With 1TB HDD or 500GB HDD with RAID 1
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final configuration
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • File database of documents like Word, Excel and Tally
    • The server will be serving at least 10 client PC's simultaneously [Clients are Windows XP/7/8/8.1]
    • Should be online 24x7
    • Will be using this server with NAS Server for backing up the files into NAS
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None. However preference to buy from OEM than assembling the same.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • None
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. None
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012? I need suggestion. Current server is running Windows 7 32 bit.
Kindly help me in deciding the configuration as to whether there is any benefit in Xeon processor when the server is running 24x7 and also in terms of power usage. Is 8GB RAM too much?

Thank you.

why not go for an assembled one?
Xeon E3 1245 V3 = 19k
asus P9d ws - no idea on pricing here or get any compatible mobo within your budget.
Kingston KVR16E11/8 1600 ECC 8 gb = 6.4k
HDD: WD Blue 1TB X2 = 7.8k
betfenix merc alpha - 2.9k
ASUS odd = 1k

why not go for an assembled one?
Xeon E3 1245 V3 = 19k
asus P9d ws - no idea on pricing here or get any compatible mobo within your budget.
Kingston KVR16E11/8 1600 ECC 8 gb = 6.4k
HDD: WD Blue 1TB X2 = 7.8k
betfenix merc alpha - 2.9k
ASUS odd = 1k
Thank you for the response.

Regarding about no wanting to assemble the server: the current server which i brought from HP, is running continuously from 5 years 24x7 and not have given a single problem like other client PCs. So I thought I am better off from HP itself. However the cost will double if I do not assemble it myself right?

Since you're running a server, you are better off paying the extra bucks and getting non-assembled one. Since you will have a lot of important files on this PC, your business depends on it. In case of any issues like load-up, slow running, not turning-on etc you can contact just one manufacturer like HP who can provide support and solution unlike an assembled PC where no manufacturer is going to take any blame and you will need to call an engineer to check which part has the problem then get a replacement, etc. For such an important part of the business I suggest go for a non-assembled one and try to get a better prices by visiting dealer stores. Just my two cents on the issue. :)

Back