Need Solution for cheap ISD

Emil

Skilled
I need to setup a means of low cost telephone communication with a specific person in Canada. We are open to letting either side initiate the call depending on the overall cost.

I already have a MTNL ADSL broadband connection and would like to use the same unless there is a cheaper alternative. Using the desktop computer with a headset is not a viable option as the person speaking at this end may not be able to sit in the same room where the computer and the ADSL modem are.

One possible option off course is the MTNL VOIP service used with a cordless phone. Although this is Rs 1 per minute, the rent and plan charges push up the cost.

The option I am now exploring is to use a wireless router and a mobile phone that has WiFi support. The party in Canada can subscribe to Skype or a similar service.

Is it possible to use this setup with a Skype application running on the mobile phone to initiate and sustain such a call?

If yes, what is the cheapest router I have to use and the basic requirements for the mobile phone that could be used?

What would be the typical data usage per minute in such a setup?

Is there a better alternative solution?

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. Mods please move it to the appropriate place.

You can install skype on HTC Touch, I installed it on my phone. works fine.
I have a netgear wgr614 router at home.

booo said:
You can install skype on HTC Touch, I installed it on my phone. works fine.
I have a netgear wgr614 router at home.

Good to know. That must be the windows mobile version of Skype. There must be a symbian version too isn't it?
Any idea how much data gets transfered per minute of conversation?

you can pick up a world calling card from vodafone..

The one worth 2500 has a rate of 2 rs /min... i think

not 2 sure

Symbian has many voip clients like gizmo and all, you can easily communicate using them..
A wifi enabled phone along with a wifi router on both sides, will do the trick and last for a long time..And there will be lots of services to choose from..

The thing im not sure abt is the data usage, if its less say 10kbps or something, even airtels gprs/edge would work well!!! And would cost 15rs perday..

The contact in Canada will go for a Skype subscription at $30 per annum. At this end we will need to set up a WiFi connection so as to be able to use a Wifi enabled IPPhone or a laptop (with Wifi card) from anywhere in the house.
I currently have a MTNL triband ADSL connection with a MTNL provided ADSL LAN modem. What do I need to buy and setup so that I can use the MTNL triband via Wifi? Excuse the noob questions.

Back