Budget 0-20k Need some advice on purchasing external HDD

So I want to get a new 2TB hdd. While I want to stay away from Seagate because of previous bad experience. So which options should I opt for? Reviews on Amazon shows Seagate to be very favourable, but I want a second opinion.
How's Toshiba and WD? Or any other brand which is reliable.
Can extend the budget as Reliability more important than cost.

Early in my HDD days, I had a Seagate that died on me within 3 years but today I have been using Toshiba (3 TB), WD (1.5 TB), and Seagate (2TB) for the last 5 years. All 3 of them have served me well.
The oldest is WD which I use for watching movies on my TV. It's 5 years old so I guess almost time to die but so far so it is alive and kicking.
My understanding about HDDs is that all are the same, just depends on your luck and handling. They are fragile creatures that can't be pressed into work 24x7. Buy one that promises you 3yr warranty and data recovery service as well. But my understanding is based on using HDDs for regular common man tasks like storing docs, videos, and playback of videos from them.
My post is perhaps not super helpful but hopefully, you will make a good purchase.

Last edited:
Hi man, I’ve had a wonderful experience with WD passport. I’ve used almost three drives in the last 12 years and none of them have gone bad. Only once the cable got bad, but that was easily replaceable. You can now try and get the SSD version, that will be super robust. Hope this helps.

Early in my HDD days, I had a Seagate that died on me within 3 years but today I have been using Toshiba (3 TB), WD (1.5 TB), and Seagate (2TB) for the last 5 years. All 3 of them have served me well.
The oldest is WD which I use for watching movies on my TV. It's 5 years old so I guess almost time to die but so far so it is alive and kicking.
My understanding about HDDs is that all are the same, just depends on your luck and handling. They are fragile creatures that can't be pressed into work 24x7. Buy one that promises you 3yr warranty and data recovery service as well. But my understanding is based on using HDDs for regular common man tasks like storing docs, videos, and playback of videos from them.
My post is perhaps not super helpful but hopefully, you will make a good purchase.
Yup agreed with the points. Also in my new place, WD, Toshiba has better ASS than Seagate. My boss advised to go for WD or Toshiba. Will be purchasing among them soon.

I purchased Toshiba and WD passport for my 3 friends in 1 and 1.5 TB storage. All are going strong after 5 years even. I have them all regularly as they are common backup between us friends. No issues. Not sure about recwnt Toshiba situation but WD works just fine.

I have had all these brands of HDD [both internal and external]. Seagate, WD and even Toshiba. All HDD can fail without any indication. WD / Seagate were working fine and suddenly died. The WD here being a PURPLE series, which is supposed to be operated 24*7 and that failed suddenly. Seagate also failed without any warning. One day I switched on the PC only to find that one of the drive is not detected.

Toshiba drive was the only one which started showing signs that a drive failure was imminent. First the drive got slow like really slow. the copy speed was like 10-15 MBPS for a few days. Then the drive started making weird sounds for a few days. Then it finally died. So I was able to take backup of the data.

WD/Seagate are almost similar. But Toshiba is a little better on reliability. Go for it.

Last edited:
Back