Need some career advice :)

ravihpa

Disciple
Hey guys,

Need some career advice :) Here's some info about me...

Profession: Medical Transcription - Quality Analyst/Direct Uploader.

Current Monthly Earnings: 25k - reducing drastically every year (read below).

Transcription Accuracy: 99.5%.

Typing Speed: Average 90 to 100 wpm. Max 120 wpm :)

Education: Had left TYBCom in the middle coz of family problems but now I have re-appeared for TYBcom, just gave my second last exam yesterday :) So am gonna be called a graduate pretty soon :)

Computer knowledge: Except programming skills, I got excellent computer software and hardware skills.

Communication Skills: Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English language with perfect grammar, puctuations, etc.

Well, the thing is, I don't really see any future in Medical Transcription because they are reducing our payment rates almost every year now, thereby reducing my income annually, which sucks BIGTIME. So for earning and maintaining the same amount of monthly salary, I have to work harder every year :( Another drawback is that my salary totally depends upon the number of lines I transcribe/edit, so say 5 years down the line in the same profession, am gonna be earning the same amount of money, which I am doing now.

I am thinking of changing my career altogether and am thinking of doing some computer software courses or diplomas or something, which would enable me to earn a steady and rising income :) Something in the lines of database management or anything computer related. A job with monthly steady income of 30k with proper annual increments would suffice just fine :)

What would you guys suggest ?

Thanx a lot in advance. Desperately waiting for a reply :)

Last edited:
The way I see it, if you join IT now you will end up starting as a fresher at a this age. You will be competing with guys aged in their low twenties who care less about work life balance and can spend night after night in office. Will you be able to put in such hours too? If yes, do some good course and apply for some fresher jobs.

This is not exactly what you are looking for but with such good typing speeds, accuracy levels, and grammar skills, you seriously ought to consider becoming a content writer (at least part-time). Freelancing opportunities are available by the dozen from what I've encountered as a part-time freelancer myself. For the kind of hours you put in at work at your current job and considering the prevalent rates for upstart freelance writers, the money to be made is comfortably more than what you are making right now. Of course, once you establish a good rep and portfolio, rates rise exponentially.

Besides, having signed up long back with these job sites citing Content Writing as my specialization (with the intention of just testing waters), I get numerous emails with info about companies from places like Noida, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune etc. seeking services of content writers. Most of them also mention pay upwards of 2.5-3 lac pa for people with at least a year's writing experience.

I can empathize with your situation since I am going through a similar period for some time now. That said, wish you luck with whatever you take up!

P.S. Good thing you intend to complete your graduation. A degree opens up a lot of doors for you!

Back