Need some info on Computer Science and Software Engineering....

Params7

Skilled
I always though about, whether i should self-teach C++ (i've still got a year more before C++ starts in my school) or just forget programming, and opt for majoring in engineering. Since i'm an ultra noob in these fields i want to know what subjest of CS are needed or used in SE as well, such as would knowledge in C++ or VB come in handy for SE or is it an entirely different major, i plan to major in SE, not CS, so anything, a book or something to help me get started on it before time ??
Thanks guys :)

Didn't get what you mean by majoring in software engineering :S. SE is just a drop in the Comp Sci ocean. Software Engg by itself has got nothing to do with any programming languages. Its just the study of the application of the engineering process to Computer Science... Things like a establishing a process and pipeline for software development. I'm very limited in knowledge about the field(I find it incredibly boring) but if u wanna know more about software engineering read the book by Pressman et al with the same name or Design patterns/Code complete published by microsoft press(forgot the author's name). Software verification/validation is a lot more interesting than learning about waterfall models :p. I don't thing any university in India or in the US gives an engineering degree purely on software engineering. Its always computer science.

If you want to do SE then it is best to learn OOPS and then go for UML.

UML is cool. S E X Y even.

Like Chaos, I hate SE largely cos of how it is taught in India. No application of concepts, just dumb theory papers. SE shud ot have a theory paper, just assignments. And in the US u can certainly do masters and Phds in SE, but it is a specialization of CS, so obviously u can't get a degree in it in bachelors.

And what do you mean byu choosing ur major. I didn';t think the conspet existed in most places in india.

yeah i think i got it messed up....i'm going back to Cali. after completing +2 here, so i'll be completing my further studies there.

Anyway's, for an ultra noob to programming like me (have done only VB6 in school, as far as creating calculators that's all, now we are doing MS-OFFICE!:mad: )

I need to know what should i start with ? Continue with Vb6 or start C++ ?

If so, please i need some good(looking for foreign authors) beginners guides for that streams.

thanks for the advices :)

C++ >> much closer to da system, much more powerful, harder to master
VB >> :rofl:

have a look at the C++ book by Deitel & Deitel, iv forgotton da title.

Back