PC Peripherals Need some info regd Z5500

jrego5

Disciple
Hi

I'm planning to purchase the Z5500s for my system and have been reading quite a few reviews about the same.I realized that majority of the z5500s tend to stop working after 2 or 3 months from the date of purchase mostly if theres a power fluctuation or power outage ....the damn system apparently blows a fuse and it just won't turn on.My question being "Is it possible for the lay man to change the fuse instead of taking the whole unit to the service centre?"

If so then you'll guys have cleared my doubt and I'm eternally grateful that I will be getting some peace of mind

i have no idea on the question you have posed above, but i dont think anybody here has cited any eyesight problems such that the question should be bolded and increased so much..

yes, its very easy to change the fuse, even class 6th student will be able to do it right, no need to take it to service center, simply change the fuse, just make sure you have the right Ampere rated fuse..

yes, the fuse blows out frequently,can be replace by user too !I think that it has a design flow to protect voltage regulations via relay is not present, but fuse blows away !!!

One more qt guys.....is the fuse easily available and if i connect my system to a UPS will that stabilize it ...hence preventing any power fluctuations ?

a year ago my z5500's display stopped working so i contacted the service centre ......the first thing the guy said to me was to check the fuse apparantly he was fed wp of people bringing in there z5500 for repacement because of blown fuse .....!!

well not in my case my z5500 were replaced instantly!

to the second quarry the fuse is normal 20 mm 250v , 2A fuse ( note its not a amp one )

the speakers will work as before ( its just a fuse afterall)

I had some power power fluctuation issues some time ago but did i did not face any problem with my z5500 . They are working just fine from last 8-9 months .

So most of the cases where the z5500 stops working is because of the blown fuse which can be repaired easily (I'm assuming).Are they any other setbacks to these wonderful speakers

I had my speaker fuse blown away within first week itself. I replaced it with 5A 250V amp fuse and its been working fine since then. A piece of advice dont buy these speakers if you want good audio quality. If you do, try to pair up with a decent soundcard (asus essence maybe).
I have had these speakers for last 2 years but i personally feel they are overhyped (due to bass which is just boomy).
I have heard Audioengine speakers are way ahead in quality.
Best is pair up a decent stereo amp with two bookshelves and you are in for a world of difference ( Marrantz, NAD with MS Avant 902)
This is just my opinion only.

Well I will be picking up a DX xonar whenever I get the speakers.Problem being I want to have a demo of thw speakers before I actually pay 20k for thm.They are apparently holding a demo at Palladium mall ,Phoenix mills Mumbai.I went there eagerly this weekend ,literally tripped on the escalator trying to reach the third floor.Unfortunately when I reached the demo site,the volunteer over there told me that the the speakers wouldn't power on and the demo would have to be postponed:'( indefinitely till logitech replaces the same :(

Damn you logitech ........:mad:

jrego5 said:
Hi

I'm planning to purchase the Z5500s for my system and have been reading quite a few reviews about the same.I realized that majority of the z5500s tend to stop working after 2 or 3 months from the date of purchase mostly if theres a power fluctuation or power outage ....the damn system apparently blows a fuse and it just won't turn on.My question being "Is it possible for the lay man to change the fuse instead of taking the whole unit to the service centre?"

If so then you'll guys have cleared my doubt and I'm eternally grateful that I will be getting some peace of mind

Yes it is possible to change the fuse, in fact the speaker manual tells you how to do it and its extremely easy. You have to replace it with 2A slow blow fuse, these are not readily available everywhere so you will have to search around.

If you want these speakers to last you long without any failures (including blown fuse) connect to the UPS. If not there are chances of the display back light burning out, Constant fuse blows and in the long run frying up the amp itself. All these are caused by inconsistent voltage and power.

These are quiet powerful speakers, but it is still suggested not to pump the volume above 75%, they are capable of going beyond 100% which is called the Boost mode. Always turn down the volume to ZERO before switching it off, this will protect the amp.

For best sound quality please use digital inputs, this will enhance the bass and overall sound quality. Remember these are Digital speakers and works best with digital feed. Also remember PC games and EAX feature in the games do not work on Digital, for this you have to connect them through analog.

Now let me give you a few more facts,

Z5500 Digital are one of the best COMPUTER SPEAKERS available in terms of looks and power. But please note that the sub cannot go anything below 33hz (ideal sub goes down to 20Hz), The bass produced is extremely boomy and muddy. The reason for the muddiness in bass is because the crossover for the sub is set at 150Hz and this is the biggest blunder the Logitech engineers have done, as a result the sub is forced to produce some of the midrange and in turn messing the sound quality altogether.

Speaking of the satellites, they are extremely bright and very sensitive, you will feel the fatigue after 2Hrs of listening. Ears literally start paining.

I know these speakers give you bragging rights but do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. If you care about sound quality, buy some Creative or Altec Lansing or still better go for something professional. But if you still decide to go ahead and buy, then you will have to deal with every single thing I have mentioned above.

Thanks a Million Dreamcatcher,

I will wait for that demo at Palladium mall so that I can have a preview of the quality of audio from the speakers.I mostly listen to Hip hop and alot of trance so the boom boom is a big yes but the speakers should also suffice for crystal clear surround sound while watching HD movies.I hope so Logitech has thought about all these things while creating the Z5500s .

Also is there any other speakers,preferably 5.1 which can be compared to the Z5500s????

Back