Need suggestion for SSD

Unfortunately, your post is extremely uninformed. You are trying to compare some different metrics, otherwise QLC does not compare favourably with TLC in any way. The P1 lags behind the SN550 in every test as you can see below, even though the SN550 itself is an entry-level TLC drive. On top of that it only has an endurance of 100 TBW compared to 300 TBW for the SN550 (500 GB variant).

Irrespective of your extremely limited, best-case sequential test, Crucial posts the following on their site. The bigger the transfer and more the disk occupancy, the worse the performance gets on a QLC drive compared to a TLC one. Also note that the warranty is not applicable once the rated TBW is crossed, which also makes the 5-year warranty extremely limited compared to others.

View attachment 101526
I never said P1 is superior or equivalent to WD SN550. My objection is towards you comparing QLC NAND with speeds of hard disk and SATA 3 SSD

I never said P1 is superior or equivalent to WD SN550. My objection is towards you comparing QLC NAND with speeds of hard disk and SATA 3 SSD
Your comment is misleading. Crucial P1 read write is about 1600 MB/s. Western Digital Green SSD is 450 MB/s and Western Digital blue HDD is 100-150 MB/s. As you can see, QLC NAND is 3 times faster than an SSD which is 4 times faster than a hard disk. Agreed that Crucial P1 is about 600 MB/s slower in reads than a WD blue SN550, but still, it is a fry cry from made to replace HDD and just like an SSD
Your statements have been too generic. WD Green also comes as a QLC NVMe SLC with similar performance to the P1, so it is not limited to 450 MB/s like the SATA ones are.

The comparison to HDD comes from the fact that QLC is meant to provide increased capacity at the expense of performance to replace HDDs. Even then, they start falling to HDD levels at high disk utilisation and large writes, which does not affect a TLC drive as much.

Lastly, due to the limited endurance, QLC drives are not recommended as boot drives due to the additional writes during booting and OS usage. In that sense, it is again limited to a storage drive.

fill-last16.png

Last edited:
SN550 goes on sale frequently in flipkart. Combined with card offers you can get it for ~7.5k(1TB) during sales.

Back