CPU/Mobo Need suggestion on CPU upgrade

vivacious_tg

Skilled
Hi Friends,
Thinking of upgrading CPU/Mobo & RAM combo but I have few doubts which I want to discuss with you all.
The configuration I decided is -
i7 950
Gigabyte x58a-ud5
Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
my use is browsing,gaming & movies.
So should I upgrade now or wait for new sandybridge chips?
Do we see more processors on 1366 line up or this will be replaced by 2011 socket.?
any suggestions on the components I have selected?
Thanks for reading , waiting for the your inputs :D

Intel has this nasty habit, changing sockets every time they bring in a new chip family... But anyways, Sandybridge does seem to provide an incremental upgrade over the current i-series lineup.. Nothing revolutionary though, it is evolutionary...

And I don't believe there are going to be any more chips based on the current 1156 & 1366 platforms, Intel will just let it die away slowly like it did with the LGA 775 platform...

The performance gain wouldn't be massive so your current purchase of a i7 950 should be able to keep up even with the latest sandybridge CPU's when they come in... Sandybridge though seems to have a much more aggressive Turbo mode than the current Nehalem line up, also the k series seems to be promising as I read somewhere that they can be OC'ed to 4.9 GHz only on air cooling...

But since Sandybridge seems to be around the corner I suggest you wait rather than spend on the 1366 platform yet...

Thanks guys for reply...
I too was thinking to wait for the sandy bridge but this upgrade itch....

then thought there might be someone on TE having idea on coming intel chips so better to confirm.

Back