Need suggestion to upgrade Ram for my laptop

So I have an HP laptop with 8 gig of ram. This is the model number with specifications.
the specs sheet says 2133mhz, but the cpu-z software doesn't give me clear speed indication. So I don't know which one to opt for.
Need another 8gigs of ram with same speed to be used in dual channel mode.
My current ram is Micron 8ATF1G64HZ-2G3B1 8gb.
Will this one work with it? Given that they are from different companies(on paper.)

It's generally not advisable to mix and match RAM sticks. The reason being if one of the sticks is bottlenecked for whatever reason and "slows down", the other stick is also forced to run at a lower performance level which will affect overall performance. Either purchase a stick identical to the current installed one or purchase a compatible 16GB kit knowing both sticks are identical.

You can try using the Crucial System Scanner to figure out compatible upgrades. Crucial RAM is a good choice but you can also pull data sheets from compatible Crucial sticks (from the results of the scan) and figure out equivalent products with other vendors.

The amazon link you've shared for Crucial ram is not worth it, 5300Rs. is really high amount for a 8GB stick.
Your current ram is Micron and you can try searching for the same may be someone is selling OEM, but chances are less.
However I think its better to upgrade both new sticks 8Gbx2 @ 2666Mhz , here you'll also get a slight boost in frequency.
check this out - Crucial ram
& can sell that single stick you've later on.

Your current ram is Micron and you can try searching for the same
Same spec'ed Micron Ram stick on Amazon is 5800+890 delivery charges. That is way too high. Hence thought Crucial might be good.
However I think its better to upgrade both new sticks 8Gbx2 @ 2666Mhz , here you'll also get a slight boost in frequency.
Will 2666Mhz work on my laptop? I am thinking of 8gb*2 from the above mentioned link given the high cost and provided it works. The original one is 2133mhz so maybe the motherboard is bottlenecked to support higher speed ram.
You can try using the Crucial System Scanner to figure out compatible upgrades.
I did the same and it recommend me to go for Crucial stick which is 2400mhz mentioned in 1st post. Alas, only one is listed.
Will 2400mhz stick from crucial basics work with my laptop?

Same spec'ed Micron Ram stick on Amazon is 5800+890 delivery charges. That is way too high. Hence thought Crucial might be good.
This is not the correct price for this one, anyways you can leave this.
Will 2666Mhz work on my laptop? I am thinking of 8gb*2 from the above mentioned link given the high cost and provided it works. The original one is 2133mhz so maybe the motherboard is bottlenecked to support higher speed ram.
here is the link for the CPU specs used in your laptop -
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...57200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz.html
you can check memory specs sub section its clearly mentioned Memory Types DDR4-2133, LPDDR3-1866, DDR3L-1600.
So not 100% sure but there's no reason it should not work, you can run this 2666Mhz Ram @ 2133 Mhz with tight timmings.
Most probably this 2666Mhz Ram will run at default 2133Mhz out of the box.

CPU-Z does very well provide a clear indication of the RAM speed, see the following screenshot from my laptop:
1636444287453.png

It's a DDR4 2667 MHz RAM running at 1333 MHz because it is not running in dual channel.

2400 MHz RAM sticks are highly overpriced. My suggestion is to get the following stick: https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-DDR4-Laptop-Memory-CT8G4SFRA266/dp/B08C56KXQJ
Try it with this. Usually it will run smoothly. If you face stability issues, sell your old stick and get another stick of the same model and you'll be fine.

Running in dual channel is overrated, it doesn't make any difference in normal day to day usage. The difference due to the amount of RAM is far greater and easily outweighs the benefit of dual channel.

It's a DDR4 2667 MHz RAM running at 1333 MHz because it is not running in dual channel.
Mine says ddr4 2401(1200mhz). That now makes sense why the crucial system scanner suggested a stick with 2400 mhz even though max speed supported is 2133mhz due to my processor.
I don't see a reason why a higher clocked ram shouldn't work as also mentioned by @Synth-Pop . Both my current stick(2400mhz) and the new stick(2666mhz) are above the cpu max limit of 2133mhz.
So if I bought a higher frequency one, do I need to underclock it, or the cpu with automatically determine the best speed, which is 2133mhz?

So if I bought a higher frequency one, do I need to underclock it, or the cpu with automatically determine the best speed, which is 2133mhz?
No need to do anything, it will work automatically. My own laptop came with 2666 MHz RAM installed when the laptop only supports 2400 MHz RAM. My upgraded stick is also 2666 MHz and I have never faced any issues 4 months after having upgraded.

The old stick went into my Synology NAS. There also people were very concerned about the RAM model and stability issues, but my NAS has been rock stable with not a single issue even though it runs for 20 hours every day.

I had mixed and matched RAM modules in my first desktop as well as my old laptop. Never faced any issues at all.

A
CPU-Z does very well provide a clear indication of the RAM speed, see the following screenshot from my laptop:
View attachment 119627

2400 MHz RAM sticks are highly overpriced. My suggestion is to get the following stick: https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-DDR4-Laptop-Memory-CT8G4SFRA266/dp/B08C56KXQJ
Try it with this. Usually it will run smoothly. If you face stability issues, sell your old stick and get another stick of the same model and you'll be fine.

Running in dual channel is overrated, it doesn't make any difference in normal day to day usage. The difference due to the amount of RAM is far greater and easily outweighs the benefit of dual channel.
You are using DDR4 2666Mhz Ram, but in your case it's running at stock speed i.e. DDR4 2667 MHz.
Don't get confused It's not running at 1333 MHz you add one more same stick to configure for dual channel then also it will show like this only.
See I am running Dual channel 3600 Mhz (enabled xmp profile) still SPD shows DDR4 2667 (1333) i.e. stock frequency.
Untitled.jpg

Mine says ddr4 2401(1200mhz). That now makes sense why the crucial system scanner suggested a stick with 2400 mhz even though max speed supported is 2133mhz due to my processor.
I don't see a reason why a higher clocked ram shouldn't work as also mentioned by @Synth-Pop . Both my current stick(2400mhz) and the new stick(2666mhz) are above the cpu max limit of 2133mhz.
As suggested by @gourav It will run automatically at best speed supported, you don't need to underclock but can try overclocking for even better timmings.

A

You are using DDR4 2666Mhz Ram, but in your case it's running at stock speed i.e. DDR4 2667 MHz.
Don't get confused It's not running at 1333 MHz you add one more same stick to configure for dual channel then also it will show like this only.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bhaiya ji why taking chances, never heard of this yourshoppy.com
same item is available at amazon for 2600 Rs. and you're also safe buying from Amazon.
2666Mhz is better than 2400Mhz
https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-Basic...8&hvtargid=pla-929161015420&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi
You can also buy this 3200Mhz variant , which will still work at 2133 Mhz by default
https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-PC4-2...10bea&pd_rd_wg=UDXXk&pd_rd_i=B08C4Z69LN&psc=1
I think it's worth spending 100 rs more on this one, you can also tune it for 2400mhz with faster timmings.

Last edited:
you can also tune it for 2400mhz with faster timmings.
Do you mean overclocking from 2133 to 2400?
Also is there a way to check if the motherboard ram speed has increased after bios update. I recently did an update which enabled TPM 2.0(for Windows 11, i guess).
Also the ram you linked mentioned CL22 instead of CL19 for previous rams. What is it and its impact.

Yes your RAM speed is clearly shown in BIOS.
CL22 is slower latency than CL19 but at the same time it has faster frequency i.e. 3200Mhz
This 3200Mhz CL22 will run at 2133Mhz by default (most likely), you can check in BIOS the default speed after installing it.
Now as this 3200Mhz ram is intended to run at CL22 by manufacturer and we are running it only at 2133Mhz we've headroom here and it can be easily be adjusted to CL19 or may be upto CL18 or CL17 if everything is stable.
The point is 3200 Mhz CL22 is faster than 2133 Mhz CL19,
The CPU and Mobo doesn't support anything above 2133Mhz so we've to run it only at 2133Mhz but at the same time we can tweak it to CL19 or below.

So I found this link which is Crucial ram stick selling for Ru 3600.
Is it s good buy? Will it work?
Has anyone heard from yourshoppy.com?
Why do you want to pay ₹1000 more to some random website as compared to Amazon?

2666 Mhz RAM will work fine in your laptop, it will just run at whatever clock speed your motherboard supports.

Back