Need suggestions for CPU + MB + RAM combination .budget approx 15k

abhijeet

Disciple
Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a new PC as my old P4-prescott (1 GB RAM) has konked off ( I want to retain the old monitor , keyboard , CDROM).

My budget is 15K rupees. Please can some one guide me a nice combination of CPU + RAM + motherboard that i can but in 15k in and around pune. If you know any good shop / dealer please tell me.

I was also wondering if i should buy Intel / AMD. any suggestions.
Abhijeet Sane
Pune

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel Prescott
Motherboard - Intel 865
RAM - 1 GB Hynix
Monitor - Samtron
HDD -Seagate 120 GB
CDROM : LG

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor -
CDROM

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo / AMD equivalent
Motherboard - ASUS / Intel
RAM : approx 4 GB
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Do not want to upgrade so fast.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Pune
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Browsing
Desktop Processing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No specific brand liking.. Want product that is good and works without major problems

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No interested in games

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Linux - Slackware

crazy_crack,

thanks for the quick response
Just a question.. is there a good AMD based solution also that gives comparative speed at better prices.

-Abhijeet

abhijeet this is what I recommend --

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/- OR Core i3 2100 ~6500/-
ASUS P8H61-M PLUS ~3500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1100/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB / 1TB ~4000/- OR 5500/-
Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/-
NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2000/- OR Cooler Master eLite 311 ~1900/-

For an AMD RIG --

AMD A6-3500/- ~4000/-
Gigabyte GA-A75-UD2H ~5500/- OR ASUS F1A75-M LE ~5500/-
Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill 4GB x1 1600MHz module ~1600/-
[rest configuration same as Intel]

A few points to keep in mind --

• the AMD configuration has a stronger IGP but the drivers for the same are not great for use in Linux. Intel graphics drivers are worse of.
  • the AMD set-up is more sensitive to the vagaries of bandwidth and frequency of modules, that is why I have recommended a 1600MHz module.
  • Do not compromise on the Corsair SMPS please.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

OP it's better to go with AMD A6 + A75 combination,no phenom or intel.The IGP of AMD A6 is too good for phenom or intel G620 so go for that.
abhijeet this is what I recommend --

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/-
ASUS P8H61-M PLUS ~3500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1100/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB / 1TB ~4000/- OR 5500/-
Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/-
NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2000/- OR Cooler Master eLite 311 ~1900/-

For an AMD RIG --

AMD A6-3500/- ~4000/-
Gigabyte GA-A75-UD2H ~5500/- OR ASUS F1A75-M LE ~5500/-
Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill 4GB x1 1600MHz module ~1600/-
[rest configuration same as Intel]

A few points to keep in mind --

• the AMD configuration has a stronger IGP but the drivers for the same are not great for use in Linux. Intel graphics drivers are worse of.
  • the AMD set-up is more sensitive to the vagaries of bandwidth and frequency of modules, that is why I have recommended a 1600MHz module.
  • Do not compromise on the Corsair SMPS please.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 - Rs. 6850 Link is here for this MOB - ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3
ASUS M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 - Rs. 6200 Link is here for this MOB - http://in.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TDM_EVOUSB3/
Biostar TA890GXE - Rs. 6600 Link is here for this - TA890GXE :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H - Rs. 6000 Link is here for this - GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-MA785GMT-US2H (rev. 3.3)

Processor - Phenom II - QuadX4 965 BE - Rs. 6200
Phenom II - QuadX4 970 BE - Rs. 7300

The Phenom II / Athlon II family of processors and AMD 8** series chipsets are EoL and have been superseded by the AMD-FX series processors and chipsets. Also the options you have posted are expensive and consume more power than the competing Intel option you have provided.

OP it's better to go with AMD A6 + A75 combination,no phenom or intel.The IGP of AMD A6 is too good for phenom or intel G620 so go for that.

OP is going to use Linux distros on this system and AMD display drivers don't go very well with the same. Also as he is not gaming OR over-clocking I feel the Intel Pentium G OR Core i3 2100 will be more than enough for him. Cheerio!!

i3 2100 would go over the budget it's better to go with G620 then,I didn't know AMD A6 had problems with linux:nonchalance:.
OP is going to use Linux distros on this system and AMD display drivers don't go very well with the same. Also as he is not gaming OR over-clocking I feel the Intel Pentium G OR Core i3 2100 will be more than enough for him. Cheerio!!

i3 2100 would go over the budget it's better to go with G620 then,I didn't know AMD A6 had problems with linux:nonchalance:.

AMD display drivers are known for usage issues in Linux distros. This is where nVidia steals a march over the former.

crazy_crack , Alpha17,

I think according to your suggestions i will go for the i3 + gigabyte/intel motherboard combo. will buy the 4GB ram and go ahead with my regular work.
thanks for taking your time and helping me in the decision.
Will put the final cost of each item after the purchases are complete.

regards
abhijeet

crazy_crack , Alpha17,

I think according to your suggestions i will go for the i3 + gigabyte/intel motherboard combo. will buy the 4GB ram and go ahead with my regular work.
thanks for taking your time and helping me in the decision.
Will put the final cost of each item after the purchases are complete.

regards
abhijeet

To tag people add a @ sign before there ID's, e.g. @abhijeet.

You are welcome, hope you get the PC real fast and it serves you well in the coming days, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back