Need suggestions on cell phone under 10k

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
Hi Guys,

I plan to buy a cell phone under 10k. Based on the review etc I have narrowed down my options to

1. LG Optimus One
2. LG Optimus Net
3. Dell XCD 35

I had also considered the options
Samsung Galaxy Fit
Samsung Galaxy Pop
LG Optimus Me

but didnt find good reviews on the latter models.

Primarily looking for Android phone with Smartphone features. Good music quality if not great not much into camera.

Kindly let me know which option to go for.

adityeah

Disciple
Oct 24, 2011
I am also in a similar situation and posted about this but haven't got much response so far.

You might also want to consider HTC Explorer. It's costing about 10.6k here in bangalore.

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
The second set of phones is not worth consideration, you can safely rule all 3 of them out.

Now among the first 3 phones, the Optimus Net is better than the Optimus One on most factors and has a good chance to get ICS update (as per LG's 'at least one update to each phone' policy). Plus, it only costs around 500/- more than the O1, so you can rule out the Optimus One too (unless you urgently want to install custom ROMs).

Among the Optimus Net and XCD 35, the XCD 35 has a better screen and better ROM support (for the moment), while the Net has a faster processor, newer OS version, and offers a better battery life, but costs a bit more. Now its your call. :) (I suggest the Net due to newer OS out-of-box if you are not into installing custom ROMs and for the faster processor, and a relatively lag-free UI).

Camera on both is average and the audio quality should be average to above average.

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
rhlravi said:
The second set of phones is not worth consideration, you can safely rule all 3 of them out.

Now among the first 3 phones, the Optimus Net is better than the Optimus One on most factors and has a good chance to get ICS update (as per LG's 'at least one update to each phone' policy). Plus, it only costs around 500/- more than the O1, so you can rule out the Optimus One too (unless you urgently want to install custom ROMs).

Among the Optimus Net and XCD 35, the XCD 35 has a better screen and better ROM support (for the moment), while the Net has a faster processor, newer OS version, and offers a better battery life, but costs a bit more. Now its your call. :) (I suggest the Net due to newer OS out-of-box if you are not into installing custom ROMs and for the faster processor, and a relatively lag-free UI).

Camera on both is average and the audio quality should be average to above average.

LG Optimus Net .. ICS.. now thats being really optimistic.

I am worried if ICS would ever be released for Moto Atrix :)

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
With Google assuring that updating to ICS wont be a pain like the older version of Android, and LG's 'At least one update for a phone' policy, i think the Net should get the ICS update.

By the way, the OP can also consider the HTC Explorer. According to HTC, 'best buy price' for this phone is 10,999/- (so street price should be lower), and i heard someone say that it is available locally in Delhi for 10,100/-.

Prices in online stores should drop soon to that price and hence it falls within the OP's budget.

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
Guys can I use any coupons to get LG Optimus Net for lesser price. If so how?

So the choice is between

1. LG Optimus Net

2. Dell XCD 35

3. HTC Explorer.

Ideall would want to get it around 8.5k.

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
rhlravi said:
With Google assuring that updating to ICS wont be a pain like the older version of Android, and LG's 'At least one update for a phone' policy, i think the Net should get the ICS update.

By the way, the OP can also consider the HTC Explorer. According to HTC, 'best buy price' for this phone is 10,999/- (so street price should be lower), and i heard someone say that it is available locally in Delhi for 10,100/-.

Prices in online stores should drop soon to that price and hence it falls within the OP's budget.

The Nexus One wont be upgraded to ICS ..And the specs of Nexus one are - 1 GHz Qualcomm QSD 8250 Snapdragon ARM and GPU - Adreno 200

Source - Google Bounces Nexus One From 'Ice Cream Sandwich' Party | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Now the Optimus One/Net have a inferior CPU and same GPU, so don't expect ICS

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
Rubbish! Even after 1-2 years, lower end droids would come with hardware weaker than the Nexus One. Does that mean that even in 2013 lower end devices would be launched with gingerbread only? Seems more the excuse HTC gave earlier for not updating the Desire to GB (which later they did) as 'weak hardware' while a weaker wildfire s was happily running GB. Either there would be a change in mind soon or Google has just become plain lazy.

Edit: There is a talk on insufficient ROM, but still, the argument on the lower end devices holds. Even higher end devices like the entire Xperia 2011 series will not be able to update to ICS since their ROM size is even lesser than Nexus One's.

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
The Optimus Net is recommended, but if you can wait a for a few days, some reviews may come out and confirm this fact. Go for the Optimus One only if you need to root and install a custom ROM right away.

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
rhlravi said:
The Optimus Net is recommended, but if you can wait a for a few days, some reviews may come out and confirm this fact. Go for the Optimus One only if you need to root and install a custom ROM right away.

Bro, I'm very Sorry but have no idea about the terms mentioned by you. Root, Custom ROM.

Can you please provide more details on these features?

Well I guess I'm a big noob with regards to these things.

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
I think you can safely proceed with the Optimus Net then. Rooting means getting full admin privileges on your phone, but not needed for normal users unless you can want to do stuff like install third party mods, cracked apps etc... (A bit risky).

Android custom ROM means a user or community created modified version of Android, again not needed for basic users. I guess you will be happy keeping the stock ROM (default one), so the Net is better for you. In case you can wait for a few days, you may get some reviews of the phone and the price of HTC Explorer may drop to around 10k and within your budget.

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
Wait for some reviews, and about the Root.. LG has loads of bloatware on Optimus One, assuming they continue the trend with Optimus Net you would have to root to get rid of the bloatware atleast.

I was using the Optimus One for 6 months, but the day I rooted it and removed the bloatware.. it was like using a new phone :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rhlravi said:
Rubbish! Even after 1-2 years, lower end droids would come with hardware weaker than the Nexus One. Does that mean that even in 2013 lower end devices would be launched with gingerbread only? Seems more the excuse HTC gave earlier for not updating the Desire to GB (which later they did) as 'weak hardware' while a weaker wildfire s was happily running GB. Either there would be a change in mind soon or Google has just become plain lazy.

Edit: There is a talk on insufficient ROM, but still, the argument on the lower end devices holds. Even higher end devices like the entire Xperia 2011 series will not be able to update to ICS since their ROM size is even lesser than Nexus One's.

Simple solution, the newer low end devices would be released with higher amount of internal memory :)

Sep 28, 2011
Kolkata
My opinion is get HTC Wildfire S, there are plenty of deals in the market and it has been offered for as low as 11.3K although the processor is a bit weak compared to Optimus Net but the Build quality is amazing plus you get 5 MP camera.

Also, note that Optimus net has 150 Mb internal memory as per Gsmarena. Even though the applications can be moved to SD card still it occupies some space of your device's internal memory. So think about that as well.

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
I don't want to put anything more than 10k. Infact I'm trying to find a mobile for around 10k online and then apply rebate etc to get it for around 8-9k.

I'm getting Optimus Net for 9k and Optimus one for 8.5k. Unable to decide what to go for.

Sep 28, 2011
Kolkata
andy1978 said:
I don't want to put anything more than 10k. Infact I'm trying to find a mobile for around 10k online and then apply rebate etc to get it for around 8-9k.

I'm getting Optimus Net for 9k and Optimus one for 8.5k. Unable to decide what to go for.

Then go for Wildfire, it has the same specs and has got Cyanogenmod Support

HTC Wildfire - Buy Online in India for Rs.9,999 as on 28th October 2011 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com Priced at Rs.9999/-

Koovs - Shop HTC WILDFIRE A3333 - Black online for just Rs. 10999 = Rs. 17490 with 1 year manufacturer warranty. Limited Stock, FREE Shipping | All India Deal Priced at Rs. 10999/- can be lowered by Rs. 1600/- by using coupon koovsjack4

HTC WILDFIRE A3333 5 MP CAMERA - BLACK | eBay Priced at Rs.9990/- and can be lowered by use of various coupons.

DarkAngel

Skilled
Apr 10, 2009
^ Errr.. The Wildfire has an awful 3.2" QVGA display with a pixel density of a lowly 125.

It also has lesser RAM (384MB) and a slower MSM7225 528MHz processor compred to the LG O1 P690 which has a 800MHz proccy and 512MB RAM.

Sep 28, 2011
Kolkata
Dark Angel I know that, but my brother has the Wildfire and the device build quality is very good and feels premium, the camera is good too. I know it is QVGA but HVGA will also serve no purpose in Apps support in the Android Market. Moreover, the screen looks sharp in the Wildfire. It is just my opinion of course.

Moreover, the Pros of Optimus Net are Screen, Ram, and Gingerbread out of the box but the biggest con is Internal memory which will cripple installation of Apps.

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
So guys if I plan to go for LG Optimus net where do you think I will get it for less price and the coupons from where to get to have it for as less as possible,

Kindly help.