Laptops Need this cable for installing SATA SSD

_DooMLoRD_

Recruit
IMG20230816210244.jpg
I have a laptop, ASUS ROG G531GT, I purchased MX500 1TB SATA SSD to use it as secondary storage, When I opened the laptop, there's no connector for this SSD, I have attached the pic in which the cable will go to the HDD port, and after searching online, I got this cable (link attached) which will be needed to connect this to the motherboard, can anyone help me to get similar cable at cheap rate, coz 1650 rs (now 3k) for a simple cable like this is too expensive I feel.

Please do comment,
Thanks..
Link of the cable(not sure if this will work or not):

Do you have the laptop box? The cable is usually provided in the box.

2 years ago I too purchased a SATA SSD for my Asus laptop and was faced with the same issue. Thankfully I had retained the box and everything that came in the box was still there. SATA cable was one of them.

Unfortunately companies dont give the extra cable these days.
I bought a lenovo laptop and it didnt come with one.
When did you buy it? Does it have a SATA SSD slot?
Asking just out of curiosity. I watched a few youtube videos and all of them said the cable came in the box.

Same, I bought a HP laptop, and there was no sata cable in the box.
When I opened the laptop for ram upgrade, there was space for sata drive and a empty connector, I searched for the cable, but it cost like 2-3k.

When did you buy it? Does it have a SATA SSD slot?
Asking just out of curiosity. I watched a few youtube videos and all of them said the cable came in the box.
Bought this month. Yes it has a 2.5inch slot but no cable.
Maybe its model specific,mine was a budget laptop .
Same, I bought a HP laptop, and there was no sata cable in the box.
When I opened the laptop for ram upgrade, there was space for sata drive and a empty connector, I searched for the cable, but it cost like 2-3k.
Daylight robbery :)

Daylight robbery
Yeah, it is.

But then I checked the manufacture's spec for the laptop and they didn't mention anything about sata port, only m.2 slot is mentioned under storage section.
So if I install the drive, will it work? Or is it better to buy a external drive?

Do you have the laptop box? The cable is usually provided in the box.

2 years ago I too purchased a SATA SSD for my Asus laptop and was faced with the same issue. Thankfully I had retained the box and everything that came in the box was still there. SATA cable was one of them.
No , it was not there otherwise I would've kept it safe, it's a negligence from their side because others have got that cable, but for me it wasn't there.
Yeah same thing happened with me although I purchased in 2019.

Yeah, it is.

But then I checked the manufacture's spec for the laptop and they didn't mention anything about sata port, only m.2 slot is mentioned under storage section.
So if I install the drive, will it work? Or is it better to buy a external drive?
Should work

I saw some cables on Amazon for ₹900. Which is still exorbitant, but that's how niche products are.

Funny though, my first HP laptop had a standard SATA connector and the Asus laptop I spoke about above was bought for 30k. Companies will cut corners wherever they can.

So for current gen laptops, best to buy with either 1 TB in-built or with 2 NVMe slots.

Phone are coming without chargers and earphones and same pattern is been followed for laptops and other commodities.
I fear soon we might be purchasing cars without seats and wheels...

At least these things are easily available. A non-standard SATA connector, which is hard to find, should definitely be bundled. Or they could use standard connectors.
Unfortunately brands want us to pay for everything these days unless the product is premium or even that might not be spared.

This one is available for 699/-
Will this work for my Asus laptop as well?
I saw some cables on Amazon for ₹900. Which is still exorbitant, but that's how niche products are.

Funny though, my first HP laptop had a standard SATA connector and the Asus laptop I spoke about above was bought for 30k. Companies will cut corners wherever they can.

So for current gen laptops, best to buy with either 1 TB in-built or with 2 NVMe slots.
The problem is we don't know if they'll work or not and what about the read and write speeds, will these cables from Amazon be able to deliver that performance? There's no product which is having number of high reviews so I can't even judge if it'll be good or bad.

Not sure. You need to check your laptop first.

About speed, it may not be an issue and there's no controller or any other component on the cable.
If you are replacing your HDD with SSD then you can use the same cable. That's what I did with my old laptop.

The problem is we don't know if they'll work or not and what about the read and write speeds, will these cables from Amazon be able to deliver that performance? There's no product which is having number of high reviews so I can't even judge if it'll be good or bad.
Check in the description, it clearly states which models it support. There are other cables for HP and other lenovo models.

Depends on the service center and the people there....

My friend was able to carry in an SSD and have it installed by the local ASUS service centre after seeing the laptop did not have a cable inside it.

Was charged for the cable only.

Worth calling and checking if they'll do it for you if you have one nearby.

Update:
---
So I went to the service centre, I told them I need this cable for the HDD connection, unfortunately they didn't have the cable, so they made a job sheet regarding the cable and told me to pay 250rs for placing the order for the cable. I paid and then they told me to wait for 5 days.

I was hopeless in getting the cable since the staff behaviour wasn't that good. This weekend I got a mail and a call from them that the cable has arrived, So I went to the service center again traveling 2 hours from my place to get the cable, (which is the only hectic part in this process since it takes 4 hrs approx to come back and forth) I wasn't sure if the cable was compatible so I told them to check and give, they made me wait another 40 mins since the technician was busy, good thing is the cable was compatible and they installed the sata SSD without any additional cost (she mentioned, 250 rs as the charges).

So the cable's cost is just Rs. 118 here in Bangalore service center. They told they'll be providing me refund of Rs. 132 in 7 to 10 days. Let's see if I get, anyways I'm okay if I don't get coz it's way cheaper than I anticipated, thanks to all the members for their suggestions, and sorry for the long post, hope this helps someone if they're in a similar situation.

Back